How relevant is High School Basketball? (OP)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If high school basketball or sports are about getting to the next level of play, then why have them and we are headed in the wrong direction? High school sports SHOULD be about community and teamwork. I don't see it any different than belonging to the FFA, ROTC, etc. The biggest difference in some communities is the basketball game is the only game in town that night if you want to get out and do something pretty close to home.

Some really really gifted players will play att teh next level and that is great, but I hope that is not what high school sports is about.

We have debated this several times on here. Academics provides teh most opportunities for school's and it isn't even close to what sports provides in opportunities.

My guess though this was trying to get a debate going between AAU and high school.

Teh Bengal Maniac types too fast sometimes, but I'll forgive him for his passion. I am totally on board with him as well.

Obviously, big AAU events give college coaches the best chance to see the most amount of players, and try to figure out how those guys can either fit into their program, or have a program molded around.

In HS games, however, you get to see the player at a different intensity level, since he's playing for community pride and such. It obviously gets a lot bigger if that player's team plays in a big atmosphere such as the Sweet 16. They display other skills at that point beyond just doing as well as possible in those rare chances the ball is in their hands (since they're playing with a bunch of other stars in AAU in that other situation).

Teh Bengal Maniac types too fast sometimes, but I'll forgive him for his passion. I am totally on board with him as well.

It drives me crazy. I really apologize. Even when I proof read I miss it. Then I read later and there it is and I can't edit then. I need a 24 hour edit!

Sweet 16 or peach jam in front of every D1 power school in the nation? I don’t think you understand the mindset of a 15-18 year old these days.

What percent are playing at the peach jam compared to players trying to get to a sweet16? The percent is low for those playing for the elite AAU teams.

I love high schools sports because you can have a player who is dominant on the AAU circuit, but put him on a high school team and he needs those other four guys playing with him in order to come out victorious most times. Putting it simply: High school is a team game, while the AAU is all about individual stars. Being a top AAU player is no guarantee of success in the high school game. Case in point: Dontae Allen.

I love high schools sports because you can have a player who is dominant on the AAU circuit, but put him on a high school team and he needs those other four guys playing with him in order to come out victorious most times. Putting it simply: High school is a team game, while the AAU is all about individual stars. Being a top AAU player is no guarantee of success in the high school game. Case in point: Dontae Allen.

Dontaie Allen and his Wildcats have a real shot at going to state this year. As a junior, he has two more years of high school basketball to prove you wrong. Also,not cool to take shots at a kid!

He is a great teammate and an even better kid. He deserves better period!

The kid is very successful in high school basketball so not sure what you're even talking about. As one of the best in the state ,he has put Falmouth back on the map and put even more pride into his community.

If that isn't success then I'm not sure what is.

I don't care much for AAU myself but maybe that's just KY AAU! We don't have much to offer as far as programs anymore IMO.

Maybe that's why so many players play out of state.

AAU is a necessary evil. It serves a purpose and when remotely operated correctly, it will provide an atmosphere unlike anything KY basketball can provide. No amount of stress level or rival game can prepare a kid for playing the top competition in the country in front of the biggest names in coaching in the country. If you have a kid that you think will be playing next level basketball, you need to find them an AAU program to grow up with so they can become comfortable with the coaches in the program and so the coaches can better understand that kids skill set as to put them in the best position to succeed in front of college coaches. If KY basketball embraced AAU more and some of the good coaches in the state were allowed to help these programs, the state would fair much better as it measures up talent wise against other states.

High school basketball also serves a purpose. It develops teamwork and creates a bond that you don't get with AAU. You represent your community and try to win championships, but it alone won't get you to the bigger colleges. College coaches will never know anything about you.

Dontaie Allen and his Wildcats have a real shot at going to state this year. As a junior, he has two more years of high school basketball to prove you wrong. Also,not cool to take shots at a kid!

He is a great teammate and an even better kid. He deserves better period!

The kid is very successful in high school basketball so not sure what you're even talking about. As one of the best in the state ,he has put Falmouth back on the map and put even more pride into his community.

If that isn't success then I'm not sure what is.

I don't care much for AAU myself but maybe that's just KY AAU! We don't have much to offer as far as programs anymore IMO.

Maybe that's why so many players play out of state.

Allen is just one of many examples of how you can be great in AAU (and he is also great in high school) but when it comes to the high school game, it's going to take a great TEAM most times to attain the prize rather than just one player doing whatever he wants on the court.

Allen is just one of many examples of how you can be great in AAU (and he is also great in high school) but when it comes to the high school game, it's going to take a great TEAM most times to attain the prize rather than just one player doing whatever he wants on the court.

Allen makes everyone around him better by doing whatever he wants and it leads to wins. Again only a junior so let's not label him just yet.