Does Cincinnati have $100M to spend on ANOTHER stadium?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cranley's plan right now:

$9.5M from existing Oakley TIF

$7.5M from Blue Ash Airport sale proceeds

Roughly $20M from redirecting city Hotel/Motel Tax surplus (also asking the county to redirect their funds from this)

$15M that the county said they'd kick in

Right now has about $52M of the $75M FCC has asked for.

Says this infrastructure is not just for FCC but for developments that will come as a result

Isn't Oakley traffic a mess already? This would only make it worse.

Do you know the actual plot of land out there that the team is looking at? I'm curious to see how it fits in.

As far as I can recall, if they're putting in where that area of commercial development is, there's basically one road that goes to I-71 or you're trying to weave your way out through Hyde Park or heading East going down Madison Rd. Not great.

The more I look at this, the more I have shifted to PBS. I am actually wondering why FC Cincinnati isn't pushing hard on MLS to get into PBS. PBS was built with soccer in mind. It would be a great stadium for soccer. Plus, it would have room for the explosive growth of FC Cincinnati soccer. The new stadium proposed by FCC will only hold 21,000 people. How many matches last season did FCC exceed that attendance? I could see FCC averaging 30,000+ in no time at PBS. I see 50,000 as a possibility at a MLS match in Cincinnati. No possibility of that happening any time soon in the proposed new stadium. The only argument against PBS is some shortsighted, myopic MLS thought process. If FCC came to MLS and said we are going to build a 70,000 seat soccer stadium on the Cincinnati riverfront but we might have to let the NFL play there also, would the MLS turn that down for the fastest growing soccer movement in the nation?

Do you know the actual plot of land out there that the team is looking at? I'm curious to see how it fits in.

As far as I can recall, if they're putting in where that area of commercial development is, there's basically one road that goes to I-71 or you're trying to weave your way out through Hyde Park or heading East going down Madison Rd. Not great.

Yes, I think it's a horrible fit there. Traffic would be a nightmare. That area is booming, I'd guess most the residents would be against adding a soccer stadium in the mix.

The more I look at this, the more I have shifted to PBS. I am actually wondering why FC Cincinnati isn't pushing hard on MLS to get into PBS. PBS was built with soccer in mind. It would be a great stadium for soccer. Plus, it would have room for the explosive growth of FC Cincinnati soccer. The new stadium proposed by FCC will only hold 21,000 people. How many matches last season did FCC exceed that attendance? I could see FCC averaging 30,000+ in no time at PBS. No possibility of that happening any time soon in the proposed new stadium. The only argument against PBS is some shortsighted, myopic MLS thought process. If FCC came to MLS and said we are going to build a 70,000 seat soccer stadium on the Cincinnati riverfront but we might have to let the NFL play there also, would the MLS turn that down for the fastest growing soccer movement in the nation?

That doesn't fit the MLS agenda unless of course it was a larger market like NYC

in which case they don't care what you play in or how many teams you have in your city. No way would the MLS approve them playing in PBS. The city just doesn't have any leverage against the MLS to get them to play in PBS. I wish they would just leave it at Nippert. 35000 max capacity is perfect for soccer.

That doesn't fit the MLS agenda unless of course it was a larger market like NYC

in which case they don't care what you play in or how many teams you have in your city. No way would the MLS approve them playing in PBS. The city just doesn't have any leverage against the MLS to get them to play in PBS. I wish they would just leave it at Nippert. 35000 max capacity is perfect for soccer.

How many MLS teams currently play in stadiums that also have football played in them?

How many MLS teams currently play in stadiums that also have football played in them?

Seattle, Atlanta, New England. I think that's it.

The LA Chargers are playing in the Home Depot Center, but that's a soccer-specific stadium that temporarily has an NFL team in it.

The more I look at this, the more I have shifted to PBS. I am actually wondering why FC Cincinnati isn't pushing hard on MLS to get into PBS. PBS was built with soccer in mind. It would be a great stadium for soccer. Plus, it would have room for the explosive growth of FC Cincinnati soccer. The new stadium proposed by FCC will only hold 21,000 people. How many matches last season did FCC exceed that attendance? I could see FCC averaging 30,000+ in no time at PBS. I see 50,000 as a possibility at a MLS match in Cincinnati. No possibility of that happening any time soon in the proposed new stadium. The only argument against PBS is some shortsighted, myopic MLS thought process. If FCC came to MLS and said we are going to build a 70,000 seat soccer stadium on the Cincinnati riverfront but we might have to let the NFL play there also, would the MLS turn that down for the fastest growing soccer movement in the nation?

While I see your point, I also don't feel having a half empty stadium for matches will bring the same energy/atmosphere as a smaller stadium.

Seattle, Atlanta, New England. I think that's it.

The LA Chargers are playing in the Home Depot Center, but that's a soccer-specific stadium that temporarily has an NFL team in it.

The NYC team plays in Yankee stadium so while not for football it is for a different sport besides soccer.

Mayor Cranley found money in the county's Transit Occupancy Tax that is not earmarked for anything that would pay for infrastructure. However, the county doesn't want to seem to play ball.

They did say they are still talking to Newport and the stadium would still be 100% privately financed if they go to Newport. It is up to Newport if they will help with infrastructure.

There is something wrong with that city if they have money lying around and they don't know what it is to be used for.

I'll all for a new soccer only stadium. Just hope it goes in at Oakley versus anywhere in KY.