Does Cincinnati have $100M to spend on ANOTHER stadium?

I thought I heard that they were taking the AA highway all the way down to 4th street, which would help traffic flow.

They were but ran out of money so it sat unfinished for awhile. Now it is partly back on as they are trying to finish the roundabout. You still have to park cars somewhere if you expect 25k fans. And that is limited in that area..............even though a half mile away as the crow flies you can park cars for 65,000 fans......if it weren't for that dang river.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I heard that they were taking the AA highway all the way down to 4th street, which would help traffic flow.

I thought there was a developer committed to building on that area already. They just won't pull the trigger until that AA road is completed?

• 4 months later...
FCC announced today that it will pay for 100% of a soccer-specific stadium.

Jason Williams‏Verified account @jwilliamscincy

5m5 minutes ago

Berding: "We are announcing that FC Cincinnati will 100 percent privately fund stadium."

0 replies 1 retweet 0 likes

It's a good move. Basically what Louisville City did. Promise to build the stadium yourselves and it's an easier sell to city council members to get taxpayer help for the necessary infrastructure enhancements and help with securing the actual property.

FCC announced today that it will pay for 100% of a soccer-specific stadium.

Jason Williams‏Verified account @jwilliamscincy

5m5 minutes ago

Berding: "We are announcing that FC Cincinnati will 100 percent privately fund stadium."

0 replies 1 retweet 0 likes

That's a huge deal. I expect this means it is more likely to end up in Cincinnati instead of Newport which kind of disappoints me. But I'm glad this is going to get done.

That's a huge deal. I expect this means it is more likely to end up in Cincinnati instead of Newport which kind of disappoints me. But I'm glad this is going to get done.

They said this does not eliminate Newport from being a possible site.

Mayor Cranley found money in the county's Transit Occupancy Tax that is not earmarked for anything that would pay for infrastructure. However, the county doesn't want to seem to play ball.

They did say they are still talking to Newport and the stadium would still be 100% privately financed if they go to Newport. It is up to Newport if they will help with infrastructure.

It's a good move. Basically what Louisville City did. Promise to build the stadium yourselves and it's an easier sell to city council members to get taxpayer help for the necessary infrastructure enhancements and help with securing the actual property.

City does not have the money to finance infrastructure. They would need the county to help. County doesn't want to seem to play ball according to Berding.

Not sure if this enhances their case for MLS expansion or not, but hard to imagine it isn't helpful.

I agree. At this point, I think MLS knows where those next two are going, but if they can have a stadium deal secured before the formal announcements, Cincinnati will be hard to turn down.

Selfishly want Cincy to stay in USL but they're solid choice and can't imagine that if they get left out of this round, they don't ultimately make it in the next one.

City does not have the money to finance infrastructure. They would need the county to help. County doesn't want to seem to play ball according to Berding.

Well there's going to have to be infrastructure work wherever it ends up. Even if it's out in Oakley they're going to have to completely redo all the utilities heading to that plot of land and enhance the roads.

I imagine that trouble with financing help from the city is at the root of the Newport concept?

Well there's going to have to be infrastructure work wherever it ends up. Even if it's out in Oakley they're going to have to completely redo all the utilities heading to that plot of land and enhance the roads.

I imagine that trouble with financing help from the city is at the root of the Newport concept?

Yes, infrastructure will be needed wherever it ends up. Berding and Cranley's point is that this $2.8 million per year from the Transit Occupancy Tax is not being used by anyone else and is earmarked for "other projects" which they believe the stadium clearly falls under. The county doesn't seem to want to give them that money. It would be a way to fund the infrastructure upgrades without raising taxes or taking money from another benefactor. Berding further explained that if they don't help FCC with their stadium infrastructure in Oakley, at some point they will have to help someone with infrastructure in Oakley so why not for the stadium.

He didn't discuss too much about Newport but did say they are continuing conversations with Newport. They would still privately finance the stadium if it was in NKY. Just will need to be seen if Newport or Campbell County can help with infrastructure. I think legislators in the area may have already approved some financing for FCC to come to Newport so that may help their case.