Chris Cornell has died at 52

Soundgarden was the headline act tonight at Rock on the Range.

From the show's spokesperson:

“Our hearts are filled with sorrow, but the show must go on. Please join us immediately after Live’s performance for a special tribute to Chris Cornell,”

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the 90's are in the discussion for best decade of music. So many greats were introduced to the world during that period. Unfortunately like too many before them many died way too young. Guys like Scott Weiland I don't think any one was surprised when he died. I think the surprising thing with Scott was how long he actually lived. But with Chris, I mean, makes you really take pause. You just never know what someone could be going through.

Soundgarden was the headline act tonight at Rock on the Range.

From the show's spokesperson:

“Our hearts are filled with sorrow, but the show must go on. Please join us immediately after Live’s performance for a special tribute to Chris Cornell,”

I bet that'll be something special. I wish I could go tonight.

Grunge has always been sacred to me. I have no idea why it gets ripped so bad. I too, was at Lolapalooza '92. In one single day, I saw Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Without a doubt, it's the most memorable show I've seen, as these bands were giants-in-the-making.

Alice in Chains will always be my favorite band. Layne Staley's voice cut right through me (enough to bestow the name Layne as my daughter's middle name). Jerry Cantrell is an absolute guitar God to me. But Chris Cornell was the complete package with the guitar and vocals. This guy was so friggin' good and brought it every time. Whether it was Soundgarden, Audioslave or solo, I'll drop whatever I am doing just to listen to him. If you haven't heard any of his live, acoustical sets, you have no idea what you're missing.

I saw him live again, as a solo act, on the Linkin Park tour about 8-9 years ago. His live acoustic set was mesmerizing. I had tears in my eyes listening to him and was moved by emotion - so much that I dropped $40 for a tour shirt. I think I'll have to wear it again this weekend.

Grunge has always been sacred to me. I have no idea why it gets ripped so bad. I too, was at Lolapalooza '92. In one single day, I saw Soundgarden, Pearl Jam and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Without a doubt, it's the most memorable show I've seen, as these bands were giants-in-the-making.

Alice in Chains will always be my favorite band. Layne Staley's voice cut right through me (enough to bestow the name Layne as my daughter's middle name). Jerry Cantrell is an absolute guitar God to me. But Chris Cornell was the complete package with the guitar and vocals. This guy was so friggin' good and brought it every time. Whether it was Soundgarden, Audioslave or solo, I'll drop whatever I am doing just to listen to him. If you haven't heard any of his live, acoustical sets, you have no idea what you're missing.

I saw him live again, as a solo act, on the Linkin Park tour about 8-9 years ago. His live acoustic set was mesmerizing. I had tears in my eyes listening to him and was moved by emotion - so much that I dropped $40 for a tour shirt. I think I'll have to wear it again this weekend.

There's a live album called "Songbook" where he plays songs from his entire catalogue plus some covers that is a must have if you don't already.

I saw this on Facebook:

This has been a longstanding thing, but it's even more important now: Next person who tries to tell me "Badmotorfinger" is NOT the best Soundgarden record (and that other, more popular record is) gets the old Fred Sanford five across their lips. Sure, that other album sold more copies, but all you have to do is listen to know.

I saw this on Facebook:

This has been a longstanding thing, but it's even more important now: Next person who tries to tell me "Badmotorfinger" is NOT the best Soundgarden record (and that other, more popular record is) gets the old Fred Sanford five across their lips. Sure, that other album sold more copies, but all you have to do is listen to know.

I know that guy...:bunny:

I saw this on Facebook:

Badmotorfinger IS the best. Down on the Upside comes in second for me.

I'm not that big of a Superunknown guy, honestly.

I saw this on Facebook:

I meant it, too. :lol2:

In all seriousness, I'm so glad I was fortunate enough to make it to Lollapallooza '92. So many great bands on that bill that I still listen to today — I have at least two albums from each of the bands on that bill on the main stage. Well, except for Ministry. They were just too darned loud. So glad I got to see Cornell and SG in their prime.

So Cornell's wife is saying he took and extra dose of Ativan for his anxiety, and the side effects of the extra dose led to his suicide.

Seems that way.

I've witnessed some side effects of these types of medications.

It is certainly plausible.