United Airlines Overbooks Flight, Then Drags Man Off Plane

Wireman

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Son that 2nd video with the guy chanting " got to get home " got to get home " is a riot . I know the situation sucks and they never should have thrown him around like a rag doll, but after all that, he reappears on the plane with a 6 second clip thats sure to a vine smash . I was rolling .

:poop: like this is why if I can drive it in 12 hours and don't have a very quick turn around I don't fly.

The bag fees, the cramped seats, the invasiveness of TSA "inspections". I usually end up very angry.

Last time I flew I purposely packed lightly so I could get by with just a carry-on but by the time I boarded all of the overhead space was taken. Several people could have stowed their bags under the seat in front of them but wouldn't. I was forced to check my bag.

I haven't read this thread in full, so if this has been noted, just ignore me. :D

There is no excuse for the way this was handled. Absolutely none.

The airline didn't bump the paying passengers just to accommodate employees. The employees being given those seats were a crew for a flight out of Louisville. So, if those employees didn't get to Louisville, the outbound flight from there would have been cancelled. It appears the airline figured 4 upset passengers was better than cancelling an entire flight.

Airlines, hotels, car rentals, restaurants....All overbook. You know why? Because customers cancel or no show at a calculable rate. That doesn't seem to have any bearing on this situation, but it is a fact. If they don't, they don't fill. And an empty seat, an empty room, an unoccupied seat in a restaurant...You don't get a chance to recoup that lost revenue. So, you take calculated risks based on a host of factors. I'm an expert at this. It's a huge part of my job.

Apparently they offered $$ to take another flight. 3 passengers took up to $800 each, I heard. When no one else could be found to take the offer, a random selection was used. I have no idea how it was done.

So, in short, United handled absolutely every single thing in the worst possible way. But I did want to offer some insider perspective.

Guess I'm going to be the turd in the punch bowl here.

United screwed up and handled this as badly as you could. That said, once they started drawing names it's time to go if you get picked. When a police officer, make that 2 police officers, tell you to do something refusing will not end well for you.

He can sue if he wants but it wasn't United employees who drug him off the plane.

I haven't read this thread in full, so if this has been noted, just ignore me. :D

There is no excuse for the way this was handled. Absolutely none.

The airline didn't bump the paying passengers just to accommodate employees. The employees being given those seats were a crew for a flight out of Louisville. So, if those employees didn't get to Louisville, the outbound flight from there would have been cancelled. It appears the airline figured 4 upset passengers was better than cancelling an entire flight.

Airlines, hotels, car rentals, restaurants....All overbook. You know why? Because customers cancel or no show at a calculable rate. That doesn't seem to have any bearing on this situation, but it is a fact. If they don't, they don't fill. And an empty seat, an empty room, an unoccupied seat in a restaurant...You don't get a chance to recoup that lost revenue. So, you take calculated risks based on a host of factors. I'm an expert at this. It's a huge part of my job.

Apparently they offered $$ to take another flight. 3 passengers took up to $800 each, I heard. When no one else could be found to take the offer, a random selection was used. I have no idea how it was done.

So, in short, United handled absolutely every single thing in the worst possible way. But I did want to offer some insider perspective.

From my understanding when the money was offered no one took it. At that point they started drawing names.

Guess I'm going to be the turd in the punch bowl here.

United screwed up and handled this as badly as you could. That said, once they started drawing names it's time to go if you get picked. When a police officer, make that 2 police officers, tell you to do something refusing will not end well for you.

He can sue if he wants but it wasn't United employees who drug him off the plane.

I think I'm the floater in the bowl with you. :lol2: