United Airlines Overbooks Flight, Then Drags Man Off Plane

Wireman

I agree that United will likely pay, and it will be significant. Assuming the individuals who removed him were United employees, it definitely seems warranted. If they weren't employees, I don't think United should pay for injuries sustained. Their policy is not illegal. And asking for assistance in removing a recalcitrant passenger isn't illegal. Unless someone directly employed by United stated that he should be dragged and beaten, I have a hard time pinning the physical injuries on United.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, the Courier-Journal NEVER got his ID wrong or his history wrong. There is no libel/slander there.

All started with some anonymous idiot on some crowdsourcing site like Wikipedia (think it was called Everipedia, but imgur and reddit posts copy catting off the bad info didn't help).

Couple other musings:

1) California paper just did a story on Dao's history in Little Saigon (donating time to homeless, teaching teens traditional Viet music). Very uplifting. Did NOT know this side of him. ... That being said, since some folks INSIST his background does NOT matter, should the California paper be raked over the coals -- just like the CJ, which again, made NO factual error -- because, as I quote "his background is not relevant."?

2) Others are suggesting that after he was removed, Dao ran back onto the plane (but no one has confirmed he ever truly left the plane). IF (big if) that's the case, is Dao NOW trespassing (because he had been removed)?

3) Some in airline industry are suggesting the "randomness" of who gets picked isn't random at all (since there is an algorithm involved). If it was random, you could have a lottery ping-pong machine or draw names from a box/hat.

Instead, we have this

XX times Y

XX = price of ticket. Higher for frequent flyer or first class, lower for coach

Y = time of ticket ownership. So like 9 for months, 1 for within the last week

Have a first-class ticket for months: Your algorithm score is a 99.

Have a coach class ticket bought on Monday: Your algorithm score is 11.

Lower numbers are first to go (because they cost the airline the cheapest).

IF this is the case, as some suggesting they are, then I'd bet dollars to donuts the people before and after Dao on the list were coach and it would take minutes/dollars before we ever got to first class.

So someone who found out at last minute they needed to leave town to see a sick/injured person could be more at risk for getting taken off a plane over someone taking a luxury trip (and could afford to be on a flight/carrier at different time). ... Not sure this is how it should work.

I already know your answer, because you would've been cool with them just offing the dude on the spot, but you're cool with them beating the dude?

Was traveling this week to LA so a little behind. I've seen the video of them dragging him off. I've seen the bloody nose when it looks like he is in the doorway between classes. Is there a video of him getting pummeled? I'd like to see that video before commenting any further.

FWIW, the Courier-Journal NEVER got his ID wrong or his history wrong. There is no libel/slander there.

All started with some anonymous idiot on some crowdsourcing site like Wikipedia (think it was called Everipedia, but imgur and reddit posts copy catting off the bad info didn't help).

Couple other musings:

1) California paper just did a story on Dao's history in Little Saigon (donating time to homeless, teaching teens traditional Viet music). Very uplifting. Did NOT know this side of him. ... That being said, since some folks INSIST his background does NOT matter, should the California paper be raked over the coals -- just like the CJ, which again, made NO factual error -- because, as I quote "his background is not relevant."?

2) Others are suggesting that after he was removed, Dao ran back onto the plane (but no one has confirmed he ever truly left the plane). IF (big if) that's the case, is Dao NOW trespassing (because he had been removed)?

3) Some in airline industry are suggesting the "randomness" of who gets picked isn't random at all (since there is an algorithm involved). If it was random, you could have a lottery ping-pong machine or draw names from a box/hat.

Instead, we have this

XX times Y

XX = price of ticket. Higher for frequent flyer or first class, lower for coach

Y = time of ticket ownership. So like 9 for months, 1 for within the last week

Have a first-class ticket for months: Your algorithm score is a 99.

Have a coach class ticket bought on Monday: Your algorithm score is 11.

Lower numbers are first to go (because they cost the airline the cheapest).

IF this is the case, as some suggesting they are, then I'd bet dollars to donuts the people before and after Dao on the list were coach and it would take minutes/dollars before we ever got to first class.

So someone who found out at last minute they needed to leave town to see a sick/injured person could be more at risk for getting taken off a plane over someone taking a luxury trip (and could afford to be on a flight/carrier at different time). ... Not sure this is how it should work.

Again, I'm betting there was no first class on this plane. This was an United Express Jet flight and according to Express Jet's website they only operate smaller planes for United.

• 2 weeks later...

All parties got what they wanted. United doesn't have to tell how much it cost them, the lawyer gets his share and has now established himself as THE ATTORNEY to take on the airlines in the soon to follow class action suit, and Dr. Dau got paid to shut up.