United Airlines Overbooks Flight, Then Drags Man Off Plane

Wireman

I would think not. He might be a criminal, but I doubt UA knew that at the time. Even if they did, it is not a reason to do that.

Sounds as if First Class was exempt from the "random draw." Saw on the news today that passenger selection was based on price paid for the ticket and when the ticket was sold.

An article I read said this was an United Express Jet. Looking at Express Jet's website the planes they use for United don't have first class. They are all smaller planes.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what people fail to realize is the plane belongs to the airline. When you purchase a ticket you agree that they can bump you off the plane if they need to. United deserves some of the flak they are getting but not all of it. Once he was asked to leave 90% of what happened is on him. If an officer tells you to get up and get off the plane and you don't, a second tells you the same and again you don't, what options do they have left? IMO, at that point physically removing him is the only option left. Now the way the officers did it is where they screwed up. Two of them could have easily removed him without the damage that was done.

This is basically my thoughts on the situation.

As a former aviation employee I have a few questions:

1. The flight crew that needed on the plane, why did they need on. (yes I get they had to get to the destination to fly another plane) but why were they not at said destination to start with, what caused them to need the jumpseats? This may sound like a so what/who cares question, but the reasoning as to why plays a bigger role in this IMO.

2. Was United's cap $800.00 for this flight voucher? Were they not allowed to go any higher or did they refuse too?

3. Was this flight the last flight of the day to destination?

4. I wonder what the clock time was on the crew that needed the jumpseat?

5. If this crew needed to jumpseat on said flight, why did they board the plane with passengers first? Crew should have been on first, then passengers. Only reason this happens after passengers is on the plane is if there was an emergency crew change. Was that the case?

I think what people fail to realize is the plane belongs to the airline. When you purchase a ticket you agree that they can bump you off the plane if they need to. United deserves some of the flak they are getting but not all of it. Once he was asked to leave 90% of what happened is on him. If an officer tells you to get up and get off the plane and you don't, a second tells you the same and again you don't, what options do they have left? IMO, at that point physically removing him is the only option left. Now the way the officers did it is where they screwed up. Two of them could have easily removed him without the damage that was done.

IMO you keep upping the ante until someone takes the offer over doing that. Or stick the 4 employees in a rental car and send them on the way.

IMO you keep upping the ante until someone takes the offer over doing that.
I agree and that goes into my comments that United screwed this up. That said there has to be limit. I mean how high should they have to go?I mean, what if they get to $2500 or even more and no one is taking it? IMO, they offer $1000 on a Visa or some other card (not vouchers), another flight or rental car and if no one takes it you start drawing.

I think this is an abuse by a Corporation and the Government. I have thought long and hard about this, obviously airlines have different rules that "act as law" but in nearly any other circumstance I can think of the Police would not have the legal authority to forcibly remove a paying customer that has done nothing wrong. It is contractual in nature between the Airline and Passenger and I don't believe the Police have any place in that mixture.

No matter what any of us think about this specific incident there needs to be law or regulation that spells out specifically what Airlines are able to do.

I think the easy solution would be to offer CASH. You start low and work up, sooner or later someone will take the Airline up on the CASH OFFER and then there would never ever be a case like this again.

I agree and that goes into my comments that United screwed this up. That said there has to be limit. I mean how high should they have to go?I mean, what if they get to $2500 or even more and no one is taking it? IMO, they offer $1000 on a Visa or some other card (not vouchers), another flight or rental car and if no one takes it you start drawing.

Someone would take the cash quickly. That's a lot different than a voucher to fly your crappy airline again.