North Carolina 75 Kentucky 73

16thBBall Fan

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're so right, UK fans are the worst. UNC fans are much classier, matter of fact I think all other fan bases are better than BBN.

Sometimes I wonder who is worst, the BBN or those that are so anti-BBN that they attack it any chance they get? I'm more referring to friends on FB than here.

He said he thought Villanova got a few more calls than UNC, but something he also did, which most people here complaining about the refs have failed to do this far, was acknowledge the fact that had UNC not performed poorly in other parts of the game they would have still won.
Ok. There are plenty in here stating the same about UK. It's just funny to me that when his Heels win there was no issue with the refs, yet last year that wasn't the case when they lost. Hell most of the national talking heads i've listen to today have said it was one sided for UNC in the first half. Is it the reason they lost, nope. But to say it wasn't a factor is wrong.

First half Ky got the screw job , not crying about it , just a factual statement , having said that we gave the game away the last 5 min , they made the plays to win to win , we didnt . Both statements are fact. It can be both ways . The charge call was missed , the loose ball call on Willis , the huge push off ignored from Berry on the layup , the total mugging of Fox on the last possession of 1st half . Dude hung on the rim while the ball was rolling around . All missed .

Ok. There are plenty in here stating the same about UK. It's just funny to me that when his Heels win there was no issue with the refs, yet last year that wasn't the case when they lost. Hell most of the national talking heads i've listen to today have said it was one sided for UNC in the first half. Is it the reason they lost, nope. But to say it wasn't a factor is wrong.

lol have you read ANYTHING I've said? I said multiple times the refs were bad both ways. The first half was hard to watch it was so bad.

I admit I was a little over-the-top on some of my earlier posts. I had been on Catspause site reading a bunch of those post and I suppose the hyperbole of those posters and the game only 12 hours since the finish got my Big Blue blood pressure rising. I'm the same way during games when posting updates then re-read them later and wish I could take some of them back.

I'm still aggravated with John Higgins and a few calls but UK had chances to win a didn't take advantage of them. Missed layups, free throws, and some crucial treys toward the end, particularly by Willis, would have been more than enough to have won the game if they had made them, or at least a few of them.

Here is what Mike DeCourcey had to say about Higgins.

"There were some curiosities, though, particularly with the first-half officiating. On three occasions, official John Higgins observed action and did not blow his whistle to call a foul on Kentucky until the outcome of the play turned in UK's favor."

Who knows what would have happened if it was officiated differently, UNC may have won by a larger margin or possibly UK would have won. Almost all of the controversial calls were in the first half, so UK had ample opportunity to overcome it.

Carolina made more plays down the stretch, which is why they won.

Fantastic season for the Cats...that to me was a National Championship esque performance!

Maye was the difference. It's why the games are played! This Wildcat fan will be rooting for NC to win it...

Cal recruits NBA lottery pics and yes the window and experience level at the college ranks will always be brief for them, sprinkle in the occassional 2-3 yr athlete ( Hawkins )!

Thank you CATS!!!

No doubt it would have been a mild upset if Kentucky had won, but I would have liked to have seen the first half been called tighter on North Carolina's bigs. Simply put I think they got away with a bunch of obvious fouls that would have sent them to the bench early if called. Bam should have shot 6-8 free throws in that half. And Fox was blatantly fouled by two players on his drive to the basket to end the half. Someone on Facebook had a still pic of that one and it left zero doubt. I have no idea how or why three officials could swallow their whistle on that play. The refs also took a tip in away from Bam that imo was coming off the rim and downward.

If the refs call the fouls in the first half UNC would have had some stars on the bench too, just like UK had Fox, Monk, and one or two more with 2 fouls on the bench.

It really hurt the Cats for them to have Fox and Monk not in the game for a big chunk of the first half. I don't totally agree with Cal when he does that. But we came out of it ok trailing by only 5 at intermission. But to have your elite guards on the bench for a long time in a half is like trying to beat your opponent with one hand tied behind your back. UNC is too good to take that chance. Lucky not to be down 15 at halftime.

Oh well, it's over and Big Blue lost. I'm sure UNC fans feel that they received more than their share of bad calls as well. I'm happy UK played with heart until the end and it took a last second shot to beat them.

Its not the first time I've been sad after an NCAA tourney loss. My first heartbreak was as an 11 year old in 1966 after the loss to Texas Western. I'm sure this one won't be the last, but I hope there's still championships in the future for my Cats. I've stuck with them too long to stop caring now.

BY Far the best, most well thought out post on this thread. All of this is well said, I highlighted my favorites. I mentioned the first half officiating on my earlier post but didn't say it as well as this. Again ....Thank you, and Great post. :thumb: