Which players have benefited the most from their Sweet 16 appearances?

Joe B was on Dicky way before the state tourney. I saw Joe B at games in NKY watching Dicky.

I have a visual in my head of a suited Joe B showing up at a packed house at Lloyd during what might've been the then version of the LIT to watch Beal. I could be wrong, but it also seems like I was in a crowd of the then version of the Crazies, so Holmes might've been playing CovCath when Joe B was there.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Kentucky doesn't pull many in-state kids, I'm guessing if the State Tournament was moved to the last week of the regular season, the Kentucky staff would be there to watch some of the action/players. As it currently stands, the Kentucky coaches are off to the NCAA Tournament during the Sweet 16. However, the year Dominique Hawkins led Madison Central to a title, the Sweet 16 was during the last week of Kentucky's regular season. If the tournament hadn't been when it was in 2013, does Kentucky goes as hard after Hawkins? Who knows?

Although Kentucky doesn't pull many in-state kids, I'm guessing if the State Tournament was moved to the last week of the regular season, the Kentucky staff would be there to watch some of the action/players. As it currently stands, the Kentucky coaches are off to the NCAA Tournament during the Sweet 16. However, the year Dominique Hawkins led Madison Central to a title, the Sweet 16 was during the last week of Kentucky's regular season. If the tournament hadn't been when it was in 2013, does Kentucky goes as hard after Hawkins? Who knows?

Excellent question.

Joe B was on Dicky way before the state tourney. I saw Joe B at games in NKY watching Dicky.

I was at The Sports Arena in Newport for a Joe B Hall autograph session, when Dicky walked in and shook Hall's hand. Neither seemed surprised to see the other, so I'm sure it was more than happenstance. Perhaps @TAC can recall details.

I was at The Sports Arena in Newport for a Joe B Hall autograph session, when Dicky walked in and shook Hall's hand. Neither seemed surprised to see the other, so I'm sure it was more than happenstance. Perhaps @TAC can recall details.

If it wasn't for flashbacks, I wouldn't have a memory.

That would have been the years the elder TAC worked there. I didn't start until after HS and Dicky is my age.

All good points..... Which always makes me very confused on how the Cats missed on Chris Lofton.

Everything is clearer when looked at through the rear view mirror. However, at the time, Tubby had the number 1 team in the country, as well as the following season. I'm sure he could be selective, and decided to offer elsewhere.

I have a visual in my head of a suited Joe B showing up at a packed house at Lloyd during what might've been the then version of the LIT to watch Beal. I could be wrong, but it also seems like I was in a crowd of the then version of the Crazies, so Holmes might've been playing CovCath when Joe B was there.

We were at the same game. CCH v Holmes in 1980 at Lloyd.

Everything is clearer when looked at through the rear view mirror. However, at the time, Tubby had the number 1 team in the country, as well as the following season. I'm sure he could be selective, and decided to offer elsewhere.

And, I will admit, I am as biased as any parent when it comes to one of my kids. But biases and all, Chris proved he was good enough to play there.

And, I will admit, I am as biased as any parent when it comes to one of my kids. But biases and all, Chris proved he was good enough to play there.

History has proven you correct. Chris was a fantastic player, and by all accounts, a better human being. You have much to be proud of!

With almost all Ky high schools subscribing to Hudl, almost every game is viewable by potental college recruiters throughout the season without traveling anywhere. The onsite view is still absolutely critical, but suspect most prospects are viewed time and again before ever being seen in person.

All good points..... Which always makes me very confused on how the Cats missed on Chris Lofton.

At the time UK was coming off being the number 1 overall seed in the tournament 2 years in a row. They also had 3 top rated guards coming in with that class in Rondo, Crawford, and Bradley. So at the time yes it was easy to see why they didn't go after Lofton.

With that said we all seen what Lofton ended up doing. He was a star in college, and I am sure if UK had to do it all again. That he would have been the first they offered in that class.

Lofton did a great job proving to teams like UK and UL how wrong they were in missing out on him. The same thing could be said about Shelvin Mack. He was a great player, and all the big boys in KY missed out on him too.

So it will happen at times when schools and projections are wrong on players. In Lofton's case if he probably comes out the year before or the year after. Then he probably gets an offer, he just happened to be in the same class where UK already was suppose to be loaded with guards coming in.

Currently I think someone who I think we will eventually see that UK missed out on is James "Beetle" Bolden. He tore it up against Hawkins in their sweet 16 game against each other. What hurt him is the year before he graduated UK had a guy name Tyler Ullis who they just signed, and probably thought he would be here longer than 2 years. So would have been hard to have 2 very small similar type of guards on the team. So sometimes it is just about timing being right too.