Cooper/Bowling Green predictions

Cooper vs. Bowling Green (Sweet 16 Championship)  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Cooper vs. Bowling Green (Sweet 16 Championship)

• Cooper (31-4)
    • Bowling Green (35-2)

I love my stats. How's this one for the tourney?? Cooper in 3 games so far have held their opponents to a 38 pt avg.

In a game designed for flash,

Coopers defense goes

old school. They are something special to watch when their defense is in high gear. In their last 8 games, Fern Creek was the only team to score more than 39 points and they didn't break the 40 pt barrier until the last minute of the game.

Thats impressive in the era of the 3 point shot.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my stats. How's this one for the tourney?? Cooper in 3 games so far have held their opponents to a 38 pt avg.

In a game designed for flash,

Coopers defense goes

old school. They are something special to watch when their defense is in high gear. In their last 8 games, Fern Creek was the only team to score more than 39 points and they didn't break the 40 pt barrier until the last minute of the game.

Thats impressive in the era of the 3 point shot.

Very impressive. Right before the tip tonight the person beside me ask who I had? I said Cooper because of their defense.

One thing I noticed about Cooper's defense tonight is they don't take chances. What I mean by that is they rarely go after steals, they rarely gamble on defense, which leads to my next point... They are NEVER out of position. (Never is probably a slight exaggeration, but it is extremely rare.) Always being in good position and rarely gambling for steals keeps them between the offense and the basket and makes it extremely difficult to score.

One thing I noticed about Cooper's defense tonight is they don't take chances. What I mean by that is they rarely go after steals, they rarely gamble on defense, which leads to my next point... They are NEVER out of position. (Never is probably a slight exaggeration, but it is extremely rare.) Always being in good position and rarely gambling for steals keeps them between the offense and the basket and makes it extremely difficult to score.

If you go back through the games, instead of steals, they tend to get their turnovers more times than not by pick pocketing the ballhandler when they relax. Quick hands by Dante Hendrix forces any opposing teams guards to never relax for a second. I believe the first two turnovers against Meade Co to start the game were just that.

You're right on with that assessment. Containment at all times. When they close they have a hand up and stay down. They play D the right way. They always seem to be in the right position.

They also switch at times and at other times they don't. They are always in sync with one another. They play great TEAM defense.

How many other times (if any) have two schools squared off against one another in a KHSAA football state championship and a Sweet 16 final?

BG over Cooper in the 2012 5A State Football Title game.

I know Trinity and Scott County did. In the same school year, in fact.

I don't either, lol.

I sure missed both games today in a big way with my predictions: BG by 20 and Fern Creek by 12.

So I'll not attempt a guess for Sunday.

C'mon, you only missed by 32 today, I'm confident you will not miss by that much with tomorrow's prediction.

If Cooper plays great defense like they did, and more especially, controls tempo and limits their turnovers like they did, they can beat BG. They turned Fern Creek into a jump-shooting team, and largely limited FC's 2nd-chance point opportunities. That negated chances to set up the press. Two of Cooper's 6 turnovers came after they finally broke through and scored after being held without a point for the first 5 minutes of the 4thQ.

I can totally see BG falling into that same trap, even with their interior advantages.

I would also anticipate a lot of casual NoKy folks to come to Lex. They're good about that. Wish more of the Scott crowd stuck around for the late game. It was neat how the Cooper folks rallied for Scott and made that arena very loud.