Who's Rooting for the Norse to Upset the Cats???

My wife is from NKY, she took a few summer classes at NKU and get mad at me for referring to NKY that way as well so I will refrain from referring to NKY that way to avoid further offending you but I think most can understand why an outsider would see NKY as different. The urban nature of the area and the cultural differences stand out. So do the last names found up there, settled by pioneers coming from different areas than much of the rest of the state.

You didn't offend me. I'm a Kentuckian not a Cincinnatian or Ohioan. Names and culture are different all over the state. Pioneers from everywhere settled what was once considered "the West" or part of Virginia. Do you consider Louisville or Owensboro part of Indiana or Paducah part of Illinios? No. I have family in Crab Orchard, Stanford, Cynthiana, White Hall area. A lot of folks relocated "up here" for jobs, the railroad, auto industry, GE, etc., but still have their southern-central-eastern-western Kentucky roots. I know this post reads like I'm taking you to task and I really do not mean to. I just hate it when folks in other areas of the state think we are Cincinnatians or that we're in this island in the Ohio River between KY & OH. :)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go Cats! NKU is so far away and located in a area of the state that is so heavily influenced and connected with Ohio that I think of it more as Cincy South than as a part of Kentucky. I suspect many across the far reaches of the state feel the same way and its likely the same up there toward say Murray State. I just don't feel any connection with NKU or NKY for that matter. That might change in the future for me though as we have a kid here that signed a letter to play for the Norse next year and that would give me a tie in.

Do you think we think you are Illinois East? We don't, so why Cincy South.

In his defense, when I'm out of town and someone asks me where I'm from, I always say Cincinnati. It's so much easier than saying Taylor Mill, KY and then having to deal with the inevitable, "Where's that?". The answer is always "about 10 minutes south of Cincinnati", so it's just easier to say Cincinnati.

I also will agree that NKY is much more like Cincinnati than we are the rest of the state of Kentucky IMO.

In his defense, when I'm out of town and someone asks me where I'm from, I always say Cincinnati. It's so much easier than saying Taylor Mill, KY and then having to deal with the inevitable, "Where's that?". The answer is always "about 10 minutes south of Cincinnati", so it's just easier to say Cincinnati.

I also will agree that NKY is much more like Cincinnati than we are the rest of the state of Kentucky IMO.

Are you incapable of saying northern Kentucky or are the people you are talking to geographically challenged? :popcorn:

I would assume you meant Illinois South. Mayfield, in Graves County, borders TN so a better comparison might be with W TN. though MO and IL are all very close. The influence of Cincy being a large metro area and NKY being the suburbs seems to have a lot of impact up there while down here there are no major metro areas. Heck the Cincy airport is in NKY. Paducah is a regional hub but it is in KY. S IL is certainly very similar to WKY and the very most Southern portion is much more like WKY than upstate IL and Paducah is their primary hub for most things like shopping, entertainment, news outlets, ect. though on a much smaller scale. My reference to NKY being different is largely based on this and just simply a different culture than much of the rural portion of the state. Ever notice the differences in names? That was obvious if you look at rosters when Mayfield plays Beechwood or NCC or Highlands plays BG. The pioneers in the Western portion of the state almost all came from E or SE origins and that greatly influenced this regions culture along with the rivers that flowed South so their trade went South. OldDog pointed out that many people relocated to the NKY and S Ohio area for jobs but still have their southern-central-eastern-western Kentucky roots. I agree that many from Central and EKY did but not many in the far Western end of the state. The distance is part of that as other metro areas are much closer like Nashville and Memphis even St Louis and Louisville. WKY people go to these other cities regularly but not Cincy. So maybe I see it that way because we are the ones that are different due to being so far West. During the Civil War this was a Pro Southern area, so much so that a convention was held in Mayfield to discuss leaving Kentucky so I guess this feeling of difference has always been here.

To the topic of this matchup, this makes NKU seem like a out of state foe for UK and not the instate school that it is to me. Ok I got carried away and that was way to long. Sorry about that and enough of this and back to the thread topic. maybe someone can start a thread on this as it would be interesting to see others views from different areas of the state.

I would assume you meant Illinois South. Mayfield, in Graves County, borders TN so a better comparison might be with W TN. though MO and IL are all very close. The influence of Cincy being a large metro area and NKY being the suburbs seems to have a lot of impact up there while down here there are no major metro areas. Heck the Cincy airport is in NKY. Paducah is a regional hub but it is in KY. S IL is certainly very similar to WKY and the very most Southern portion is much more like WKY than upstate IL and Paducah is their primary hub for most things like shopping, entertainment, news outlets, ect. though on a much smaller scale. My reference to NKY being different is largely based on this and just simply a different culture than much of the rural portion of the state. Ever notice the differences in names? That was obvious if you look at rosters when Mayfield plays Beechwood or NCC or Highlands plays BG. The pioneers in the Western portion of the state almost all came from E or SE origins and that greatly influenced this regions culture along with the rivers that flowed South so their trade went South. OldDog pointed out that many people relocated to the NKY and S Ohio area for jobs but still have their southern-central-eastern-western Kentucky roots. I agree that many from Central and EKY did but not many in the far Western end of the state. The distance is part of that as other metro areas are much closer like Nashville and Memphis even St Louis and Louisville. WKY people go to these other cities regularly but not Cincy. So maybe I see it that way because we are the ones that are different due to being so far West. During the Civil War this was a Pro Southern area, so much so that a convention was held in Mayfield to discuss leaving Kentucky so I guess this feeling of difference has always been here.

To the topic of this matchup, this makes NKU seem like a out of state foe for UK and not the instate school that it is to me. Ok I got carried away and that was way to long. Sorry about that and enough of this and back to the thread topic. maybe someone can start a thread on this as it would be interesting to see others views from different areas of the state.

I understand where you are coming from, but we in NKY get the "Cincy South" all the time, even from people in Lexington, so I guess we are a little sensitive about it. The Ohio river is much "wider" to us than most people think. We are Kentuckians and really have little to do with Ohio other than some people working, and the cultural events that are available. I root for Murray St., but not for UC. I couldn't care less about Ohio St. Of course we root for the Reds, but I'm sure you root for St. Louis. I have been a huge UK fan all my life, but in this particular case it's a one time shot for NKU. I know they have very little chance to win, but I still have to root for them because I follow them closly and are familiar with some of their players and coach. If UK were playing Murray, I would expect you to root for Murray. Saturday my NKU flag will come down and the UK flag will go back up.

UKMF, maybe that's the problem. You need to school them on where it is, sell KENTUCKY. :D

Holy Cow, couldn't disagree with you more. Years ago I saw a travel brochure at a NKY Convention and Visitor's Bureau office describing NKY as the "Southside of Cincinnati". All I could think of was the laughing Ohioans at that statement. Who wants to be known as the rear-end of anything?:sour: