Is the Butter Slipping off of Rosie's Biscuit?

Fastbreak

So what modern-day Christian "extremists" are we hearing about these days that Rosie might be referring to?

Oh, I don't know. She might be referring to people like Pat Robertson, who espouses the assasination of the leaders of countries that don't agree with his view of God.

Or, maybe, she could be referring to people like Eric Rudolph, who, as a serial bomber, has killed three people and maimed another 150 or so.

Wait - maybe she was referring to people like James Kopp, who assasinated a doctor in his kitchen.

It might have been Jim Jones, who convinced his followers to drink cyanide laced Kool-Aid.

Possibly, she had Bobby Cherry and Bob Chambliss in mind. You might remember their handywork, planting 19 sticks of dynamite in the basement of a black church in Birmingham, Alabama.

If you'd like, I could expand the examples, to include the fact that between 1969 and 2001, 3,523 people were killed as a result of the Catholic/Protestant wars in Ireland.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture. EVERY single instance I gave above was a classic case of violence in the name of God. In these instances, it was the same God that many Americans pray to.

Also, I used only examples from my lifetime, so as to eliminate the need to act as if we have somehow moved from a violent past, to an age of peace, love and understanding.

The truth is, these examples are not the norm, but then again, it's not like they happened three hundred years ago either.

Frances

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - well, at least, not in this century.

Make no mistake - I'm not attacking Christianity (or any other faith, for that matter), but let's not forget that EVERY organized religion has had followers that have done some incredible things in the name of God:

1) The Crusades

2) The Spanish Inquisition (with tortures that are off of the charts)

3) The bombing of abortion clinics

4) The bombing of black churches in the south (killing four of the most innocent little girls that have ever been martyred - for any cause)

Now, in answer to FB's question, yes, I think Rosie has gone too far in her attempt to compare the current state of these two religions (Islam and Chrisitianity).

Let me ask this of you now, Fastbreak - in your opinion, would the followers of Christianity be justified in attempting to wipe Islam from the face of the earth? I'm not speaking in the abstract here - I'm asking you if you believe that under the current circumstances, Christians should literally try to eliminate every Muslim from the face of the earth?

If we understand that the KKK, David Koresh, Pat Robertson, Jim Jones, Torquemada, James Kopp, and Eric Rudolph don't speak for Christianity, then I would think that we are capable of understanding that the extremists from the faith of Islam do not speak for all of its followers.

Frances

Yes, they should. By showing them the love of Jesus Christ and giving them examples of that love. And then walking with them to make THEIR OWN decision to be a Christian and accept Jesus Christ as their own Lord and Savior. It must be uncoerced and free of violence, but to answer your question, yes that should be their goal with Islam and any other person that has not committed their life to Christ.

Oh, I don't know. She might be referring to people like Pat Robertson, who espouses the assasination of the leaders of countries that don't agree with his view of God.

Or, maybe, she could be referring to people like Eric Rudolph, who, as a serial bomber, has killed three people and maimed another 150 or so.

Wait - maybe she was referring to people like James Kopp, who assasinated a doctor in his kitchen.

It might have been Jim Jones, who convinced his followers to drink cyanide laced Kool-Aid.

Possibly, she had Bobby Cherry and Bob Chambliss in mind. You might remember their handywork, planting 19 sticks of dynamite in the basement of a black church in Birmingham, Alabama.

If you'd like, I could expand the examples, to include the fact that between 1969 and 2001, 3,523 people were killed as a result of the Catholic/Protestant wars in Ireland.

I could go on, but I think you get the picture. EVERY single instance I gave above was a classic case of violence in the name of God. In these instances, it was the same God that many Americans pray to.

Also, I used only examples from my lifetime, so as to eliminate the need to act as if we have somehow moved from a violent past, to an age of peace, love and understanding.

The truth is, these examples are not the norm, but then again, it's not like they happened three hundred years ago either.

Frances

Big, big difference is that you don't see Christians out in crowds encouraging violence. You have listed single individuals in single acts while we saw violence with the editorial cartoon by crowds. And violence in crowds when the Pope said what he said.

You don't see crowds of Christians demonstrating violently and calling for someone's death.

If she wants to pick out individual people, then make it clear that there are single acts. That is not what she did.

She brought her personal view of Christianity, I would assume tainted by the Christian view of homosexuality, and twisted it to sound like what she wanted it to sound like.

Frances

Rudolph, Cherry and Chambliss were all white supremecists.

Jim Jones may have started as a Christian leader, but when you start telling people that you are the Messiah, I think you lose your credibility.

I won't even get into the James Kopp and Paul Hill issues. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I equate the Catholics and Protestants in Northern Ireland to the Shiites and Sunnis in Iraq.

I'll give you Pat Robertson. He's an idiot.

But what bothers me the most is that if we named all the Christians who have committed atrocities in the past 100 years, we would still be far short of the number of Muslims who have done the same in the past month. Any comparison is ridiculous. You're comparing a few people who were messed up in the head to a significant part of the Moslem population who want non-muslims dead.

I try not to think about Rosie's biscuit. Up until now, I was successful. Thanks FB :irked: Now I must go and cut off my mouse finger.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ouch... :irked: ...hot coffee out the nose is not a pleasant thing. :eek:

Leave it to 2C to identify subtle lesbo-erotic euphemisms. :lol:

Regardless of the actions of misguided individuals, or even deviant localized congregations like Fred Phelps’ troops who spew hatred in the name of God, an authentic interpretation of the Gospel cannot possibly lead people to become haters, murderers, bombers, assassins and terrorists. The same cannot be said of the teachings of the Koran. Violent acts against infidels (unbelievers) are clearly enumerated among its fundamental tenets.

It is unfortunate that Rosie and others have such a distorted view of genuine Christianity... and willingly choose to remain blind to the most genuine threat to our freedoms and culture that we've seen in a generation... perhaps in a millenium. This is one of the problems of placing one's personal agenda ahead of what is best for everyone.

When mentioning Marx or Lenin in evil I assume are trying to equivocate communism with evil? Marx was a social philsopher who was observing the industrial revolution in Europe so I am not quite sure where you get that on his case.

Certainly there are degrees of evil and in no way did I intend to imply that Marx was as evil as some of the others that I listed. However, he was more than an academic discussing social philosophy. He actively advocated violent overthrow of the existing social order with the goal of replacing it with a social order based upon his flawed theories. His Communist Manifesto is a call-to-arms to workers, a call that was taken up by Lenin and others. That's enough to make him both a radical and someone who promoted evil. However, it doesn't raise him to the level of a Stalin who played an active role in killing millions.

If we are going by what the result OF Lenin's revolution was under Stalin then I suppose I can agree with you on that account. As it was Lenin was dead before the true slaughter began in Russia.

I had thought about listing Stalin but I chose Lenin instead since Lenin played a bigger part in the Boleshevik Revolution and therefore better fits the desrciption of being a radical. I would characterize Stalin as more evil than Lenin since Stalin was guilty of killing many more people than Lenin but Lenin was capable of ruthlessness also. Lenin also played a key role in establishing the form of government which made Stalins crimes possible so he can not escape being tainted by Stalin.

There are clear references to violence in the Bible, one of the most widely known:

"Those who live by the sword shall die by the sword" (Matt. 26:52).

There are Christians who espouse such passages literally. I don't think Rosie is off the mark. Those who use the Christian religion to justify violence ARE as great a danger to society as radical Islamists.

The Ku Klux Klan used religion to justify their hatred and subsequent torture and killings.

The Crusades have been mentioned.

Marx and Lenin, IMO, shouldn't be mentioned, as they actually wanted a society NOT based upon religion.

Hitler used religion to justify his theories.

There are many, MANY other smaller examples out there. Everyday, if you look, you can see it.

There are clear references to violence in the Bible, one of the most widely known:

"Those who live by the sword shall die by the sword" (Matt. 26:52).

There are Christians who espouse such passages literally. I don't think Rosie is off the mark. Those who use the Christian religion to justify violence ARE as great a danger to society as radical Islamists.

The Ku Klux Klan used religion to justify their hatred and subsequent torture and killings.

The Crusades have been mentioned.

Marx and Lenin, IMO, shouldn't be mentioned, as they actually wanted a society NOT based upon religion.

Hitler used religion to justify his theories.

There are many, MANY other smaller examples out there. Everyday, if you look, you can see it.

Forgot the first part of that Scripture, RM....

"Put your sword back in its place, Jesus said to him (Peter), for all who draw the sword will die by the sword."

So the message behind Matt 26:52 is not what you alluded it to be. Jesus was saying the way is NOT violence.