Is the Butter Slipping off of Rosie's Biscuit?

Fastbreak

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phelps and his Westboro church get their money from the combined incomes of his congregants, who live in the fortified Westboro compound. They've also received money from several lawsuits. Phelps and bin Laaden are both surely Satan's spawn.

While I don't personally believe in Satan, I could not possibly agree more strongly with the intent of your assessment of these two men.

Frances

I don't think those who bomb abortian clinic etc. are really Christian. I agree that Christian people, myself included, make mistakes and say stupid things but to commit premeditated murder is more than a mistake. Bible believing churches would never support such activity.

Not being Muslim myself I am not an expert on Islam. My question is are those who are "radical" really a believer of the Islamic faith? Or are they just murders who claim to be Muslim?

Not being Muslim myself I am not an expert on Islam. My question is are those who are "radical" really a believer of the Islamic faith? Or are they just murders who claim to be Muslim?

Which ones are the radical Muslims? The ones that want to kill us or the "peaceful" ones? I get confused.

Question to consider:

Were all things equal — that is, were our US society far less-developed than what it is, to the current situation that exists in much of the Muslim world — is it not likely there would be far more violent acts committed in the name of Christianity? I think our past bears this out.

And this makes me wonder if the problem with the Muslim world is less about the religion itself and more of an economic development and general civilization problem.

Question to consider:

Were all things equal — that is, were our US society far less-developed than what it is, to the current situation that exists in much of the Muslim world — is it not likely there would be far more violent acts committed in the name of Christianity? I think our past bears this out.

And this makes me wonder if the problem with the Muslim world is less about the religion itself and more of an economic development and general civilization problem.

I think you make an excellent point, Jim. I would say that the problem with the Muslim world (as it exists in the Middle East) is that it is a closed society, that does not tolerate the exchange of ideas. Willful ignorance is a heavy burden to bear.

Frances

While it does seem to be that religion of every kind seems to be a haven for the downtrodden, it seems contradictory that many of the most extreme are men of fabulous wealth, bin Laden being the most visible example. I really believe that terrorism in any form be it the attack of 9/11 or the bombing of an abortion clinic has absolutely nothing to do with religion. I believe those claiming to commit these acts in the name of religion are merely using religion as a convenient alibi, much as the KKK claimed to be a religious organization.

While it does seem to be that religion of every kind seems to be a haven for the downtrodden, it seems contradictory that many of the most extreme are men of fabulous wealth, bin Laden being the most visible example. I really believe that terrorism in any form be it the attack of 9/11 or the bombing of an abortion clinic has absolutely nothing to do with religion. I believe those claiming to commit these acts in the name of religion are merely using religion as a convenient alibi, much as the KKK claimed to be a religious organization.

I disagree. I think those who commit heinous acts in the name of God genuinely believe they are doing God's work. Few things inspire passion quite like religion.

I disagree. I think those who commit heinous acts in the name of God genuinely believe they are doing God's work. Few things inspire passion quite like religion.

We'll have to disagree. While I think there are kooks in any group, I still believe religion is simply an easy excuse for most. I do think many of those who are bombing abortion clinics do have a misguided sense of religious fervor, but as I said, there are unstable people in any group. Also, it's important to distinguish the difference in someone committing an act in the name of God and someone actually representing God or God's church.

We'll have to disagree. While I think there are kooks in any group, I still believe religion is simply an easy excuse for most. I do think many of those who are bombing abortion clinics do have a misguided sense of religious fervor, but as I said, there are unstable people in any group. Also, it's important to distinguish the difference in someone committing an act in the name of God and someone actually representing God or God's church.

Couldn't agree with that more!