Working out 2017

newarkcatholicfan

Just need to figure out how to get rid of this gut.

Losing a gut, for guys at least, often comes down to your diet.

I think you are right, bugatti. These past 4 weeks I completed a "Game On" challenge with my co-workers. Rules were 5 healthy meals a day with a list of food options, drinking 3 liters of water a day, snacking only on celery and cucumbers between meals, getting 7 hours of sleep a night, one cheat day a week, a couple of adult beverages allowed on your cheat day if you want, and 20 minutes of exercise a day. We had to keep track on a spread sheet and give ourselves points or deductions. I did not exercise and did not get points in that category, (but I put in at least 10k steps a day at work). I still lost 9.5 pounds. I swear it was all the water, and the no snacking/no junk food that did the trick. I am super motivated to keep it going, and I will add the daily exercise in a couple weeks when this dang research class is over.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man... It's something I've always wanted to do, and something that if I don't try I will regret it the rest of my life. I have a genuine passion for helping others and want to have a career that I enjoy while also giving back in some way.

Why do you say they have it made? :lol2:

Good luck with your goal of being a firefighter! With the mindset that you have posted you will make a great firefighter.

You may have set getting hired for LFD, but do not discount trying to get hired by a surrounding department. You can always continue to try to get on LFD. By going that route you may get a head start on your goal.

I'm easing into my routine, still sore from last week. I need some quick and easy breakfast suggestions. I leave for work by 5:30am. Other than cereal making breakfast is out the door.

I mix up lunch between chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, peas, spinach. Usually eat 6 egg whites with hummus for healthy fat

So last night I found a darn near full tub of Amino acid pills. I'm assuming they're still, just over a year old. Says to take two before and two after workout. Problem being these things are as big as horse pills. Tonight I put them under a rag a literally pounded them to dust with a hammer, then put the powder in my water.

Is there another way to take them that doesn't include a blender?

So last night I found a darn near full tub of Amino acid pills. I'm assuming they're still, just over a year old. Says to take two before and two after workout. Problem being these things are as big as horse pills. Tonight I put them under a rag a literally pounded them to dust with a hammer, then put the powder in my water.

Is there another way to take them that doesn't include a blender?

My best advise is don't waste your money. If your diet is solid you will get all you need. If you feel the need to supplement get a good quality protein powder or a BCAA powder. If you get the protein powder the BCAA isn't necessary as the protein should have amino acids in it. Also BCAA powder generally taste like monkey butt.

I'm easing into my routine, still sore from last week. I need some quick and easy breakfast suggestions. I leave for work by 5:30am. Other than cereal making breakfast is out the door.

I mix up lunch between chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, peas, spinach. Usually eat 6 egg whites with hummus for healthy fat

Another option is scramble some eggs, though on a low carb tortilla, and you have a breakfast burrito. You can make the eggs in about 5 mins.

I work in a 6 story warehouse, well 8 if you count the two basement levels.

On my lunch break each day I walk up and across all the floors, then back down and across. All in all, it's about 1.5 miles.

I'm the type that if I wait until I get home from work to exercise, it isn't going to happen, so I'm trying to make the best of it.

Been eating oatmeal for breakfast each morning, have drastically reduced the size of my lunches, and then eat a normal sized dinner. Have cut out any and all eating in between meals as well.

Looking to lose 7-10 lbs. We'll see how this works. :lol2:

I make breakfast sandwiches for the week on Sunday. I use a whole grain 100 calorie English muffin, egg whites and turkey sausage patty. I put them in individual ziplocks and then put them all in a gallon size ziplock. Just pull out and microwave for 2 minutes and can eat in the car.

Girlfriend has finally started lifting. She's always been a runner, 5k, half marathon and a couple of marathons. I had 4 knee surgeries by age 19 including 3 ACL reconstructions. Needless to say I'm not a runner but I've lifted weights/worked out 20 years now. Having someone that's wanting to learn and interested in working out has been a great addition to our relationship. With that said I visited tri-state running off of Turkeyfoot road yesterday and bought some new running shoes.

The 2017 CrossFit games started last night with release of the 1st open workout. The open portion of the games is when anyone in the world can sign up, do the work out, and submit a score. It's 5 weeks long with 1 workout released each week. Top 20 men and top 20 women from each region move on to regional. This is the first year in he last 5 I haven't been able to participate. My back just isn't there yet. That said the 1st workout looks to be a big ball of yuck.

It's 5 rounds of dumbell snatches + burpee box jump overs. You have to alternate snatches from left to right each rep and the number increases by 10 each round. The burpee box jump overs stay at 15 per round.

Rd 1 - 10 + 15

Rd 2 - 20 + 15

Rd 3 - 30 + 15

Rd 4 - 40 + 15

Rd 5 - 50 + 15

There's a 20 min time cap. If you finish all rounds under the time cap your score is you time finished. If you don't finish your score is your number of reps completed. The top athletes in the world will finish in the 10:00-13:00 time frame. Your average every day Joe won't get through the rd of 40 snatches.

The 2017 CrossFit games started last night with release of the 1st open workout. The open portion of the games is when anyone in the world can sign up, do the work out, and submit a score. It's 5 weeks long with 1 workout released each week. Top 20 men and top 20 women from each region move on to regional. This is the first year in he last 5 I haven't been able to participate. My back just isn't there yet. That said the 1st workout looks to be a big ball of yuck.

It's 5 rounds of dumbell snatches + burpee box jump overs. You have to alternate snatches from left to right each rep and the number increases by 10 each round. The burpee box jump overs stay at 15 per round.

Rd 1 - 10 + 15

Rd 2 - 20 + 15

Rd 3 - 30 + 15

Rd 4 - 40 + 15

Rd 5 - 50 + 15

There's a 20 min time cap. If you finish all rounds under the time cap your score is you time finished. If you don't finish your score is your number of reps completed. The top athletes in the world will finish in the 10:00-13:00 time frame. Your average every day Joe won't get through the rd of 40 snatches.

I did it scaled and got 198 reps. I will turn 48 in May and this is my first open, so obviously I am not going to set any records. I thought it was pretty tough, but my guess is it will only get tougher. My wife also did it scaled and she got done in just over 19 minutes.

I did really enjoy watching the announcement on Thursday and thinking that was the challenge in front of me.

I did it scaled and got 198 reps. I will turn 48 in May and this is my first open, so obviously I am not going to set any records. I thought it was pretty tough, but my guess is it will only get tougher. My wife also did it scaled and she got done in just over 19 minutes.

I did really enjoy watching the announcement on Thursday and thinking that was the challenge in front of me.

The open can be really fun if your gym makes an event out of it. We try to get everyone to come on Friday evening to do it. Friday we had a great turn out and it was a lot of fun.

I am running the Bockfest 5K in the Over The Rhine neighborhood of Cincinnati, this Saturday at 10am. Itll be my first actual 3 mile "race" in over two years. Currently at 215lbs (down 5 in two weeks) and running around 9 minute mile at 2 miles. Plus after we get two beer tickets and a cheese coney, also can purchase more potent beer with a great atmosphere.