Obama--Post Presidency????

Reading another thread, I was prompted to pose the following question directly:

How will Barack Obama respond to NOT being President any longer?

Will he take the tact of recent, previous Presidents such as Bill Clinton & the Bush's (Lord only knows how GWB remained silent when he was blamed for everything since the Great Flood); who largely remain invisible in the mainstream (The classy way out)? Or will he become a vocal advocate of whatever causes he deems necessary to comment on; which I'm guessing will cause him to frequently criticize the soon-to-be new President?

Personally I hope he stays quiet, along with Ms. Hillary; and allows the country to heal from the most divisive campaign of my lifetime (And I'm old). Early signs don't seem to point to this, but like I did when he was elected (Full disclosure--I was not a fan of his, due to his total lack of any business or leadership experience, not his race, birthplace, etc.; and actually would have preferred Hillary or even McCain in '08, although lukewarm at best on either); I'll reserve my judgement until some time passes.

Interested to hear others' thoughts on this matter?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he doesn't stay quiet.

I do want to say that Bill Clinton reportedly said that Hillary lost because of angry white men so I think we can scratch him off the stayed quiet list. I'll also add that Bill said some stupid things at a BLM event so he was never on my stayed quiet list anyways.

Why should he not take up causes that matter to him? He'll be a private citizen and I have no idea why anyone would begrudge him doing something he feels matters.

And for the record, the country isn't in need of healing due to President Obama. The country is in need of healing due to the way we treat each other because we differ idealogically. Healing is on us. The divide is on us.

Guess I disagree with most of you then, as I'd like to see an orderly transition of power when a new President is sworn in; not a continuation of the campaign mode, and all the accompanying shots at one another?

Seems like in most, if not all, of the transitions that I can recall (Including President Obama's); the incoming President was given the benefit of the doubt & wasn't publicly criticized by his predecessor (And they certainly gave GWB eight years of opportunity to speak by continuing to blame him for all the ills of the world).

Guessing from the early returns (Michelle's critical remarks in the Oprah interview, Bill Clinton's ramblings, and the constant "protests", threats to electors, etc.) this transition will be unlike others.

Interesting that the party that supposedly espouses unity, inclusion, peace, etc. spouts the most vile vitriol when they don't get their way??

One thing that nearly all Presidents of my life have done is NOT criticize their replacements or others that follow. That's all I hope for out of any former President...take up a cause, write a book, become a millionaire on the speaking circuit...but have the class to let the next President govern without continually weighing in on the job they are doing.

One thing that nearly all Presidents of my life have done is NOT criticize their replacements or others that follow. That's all I hope for out of any former President...take up a cause, write a book, become a millionaire on the speaking circuit...but have the class to let the next President govern without continually weighing in on the job they are doing.

I don't think he will be vocal at all. I hope he plays the Pro Am golf circuit. That's what I'd do.

I love how we are chided to not judge DJT's presidency before he's sworn in, but in the next breath the same people are certain BO what will do next.

I have no idea how President Obama will do next. I do hope he has the class shown by his predecessor.

George W Bush had one of the lowest approval ratings of any president by the time he left office.

He was quiet because he couldn't have helped his party not because of class.

That has ZERO to do with having class. GWB showed tons of class after he left office. I can only hope BHO has the same amount of class.

I hope President Obama goes the route of Bush and Clinton and not Jimmy Carter. Take up causes you are passionate about but do not speak out against a sitting president. Carter wasn't popular either but always spoke out. You can disagree with Bush on politics but there is no debating he is the example for class when leaving office.

If Obama goes behind the scenes helping build the democrat grassroots I will have no problem. If he speaks out on a sitting president I will.