Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

C-J Readers' Corner Letter today (8/30)

Featured Replies

I can tell you that many, many public school supporters believe that it is NOT because you work any harder but because you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

WOW! I'm not sure what to do about that kind of thinking. I could introduce them to the brothers that handed down the paper route from one brother to the next so they could pay their own tuition. I could introduce them to any number of folks that find it a very real and very important struggle to find a way. Silver spoon indeed.

  • Replies 70
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can tell you that many, many public school supporters believe that it is NOT because you work any harder but because you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

 

I'm not sure we are going to be able to debunk that myth. And beside, no one is stopping anyone from the public schools from signing up to attend a camp or buy a nice pair of shoes. This is plain jealously. And it is misguided jealously at that.

WOW! I'm not sure what to do about that kind of thinking. I could introduce them to the brothers that handed down the paper route from one brother to the next so they could pay their own tuition. I could introduce them to any number of folks that find it a very real and very important struggle to find a way. Silver spoon indeed.

 

Really, its not any more absurd that Rock86's belief that none of the public school players or coaches are willing to work as hard as Trinity's. Both are generalizations that are not necessarially true.

Really, its not any more absurd that Rock86's belief that none of the public school players or coaches are willing to work as hard as Trinity's. Both are generalizations that are not necessarially true.
Exactly. Such rash generalizations exist on both sides of the issue.

I can tell you that many, many public school supporters believe that it is NOT because you work any harder but because you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth.

 

My "silver spoon" started with me having a paper route, cutting grass for 10 of my neighbors and working at McDonald's to help my parents pay for tuition.

 

Now that I am paying for my kids to attend private schools, I work my regular job and work about 20 hours extra a week to pay the tuition. My wife does the same..I also volunteer my time to caoch teams at the grade school level.

 

So my question to you is......Who's working harder?

My "silver spoon" started with me having a paper route, cutting grass for 10 of my neighbors and working at McDonald's to help my parents pay for tuition.

 

Now that I am paying for my kids to attend private schools, I work my regular job and work about 20 hours extra a week to pay the tuition. My wife does the same..I also volunteer my time to caoch teams at the grade school level.

 

So my question to you is......Who's working harder?

First I applaud you for being involved in your child's education and sending the message to them that education is very important. As a teacher, I wish more parents had this mindset.

 

To your question, I have heard at state basketball tournaments, this answer to your example and question. You are an exception. Yeah, you can find some just like you but the overwhelming majority is "silver spoon."

 

I agree with strike-3 that overgeneralizations like this one and the one that publics just don't want to work hard, want to be given the easy way, want to give everyone a trophy, just hurt the process and not help.

 

As far as RunFirst, not all have that choice. It might come down for them on whether to pay the electric bill or a camp. Not all who work have a job that PROVIDES overtime hours like X85 gets. As a coach, I have paid out of my pocket shoes for players, camp fees for players in which I knew their parents could not afford it.

You want to know something, I can't wait for my daughter to go off to college, the tuition will be cheaper! :D Also when she goes off to college my wife and I won't have to go back to her school five days a week to work around three hours a day, after working our first jobs to reduce her tuition so she can attend.... Funny thing is, the Admission Counsels and Professors at the Kentucky Public Universities that we have talked to, have told us that graduating from the school she is, is such an advantage in attending college.... So now after working my eight and then working three more, at least I can say, I am doing what best for my kid......and I now have to agree, that us Private supporters do at least have an advantage on the Academic side of the ledger, and it was the Public Universities that told me so......

As far as RunFirst, not all have that choice. It might come down for them on whether to pay the electric bill or a camp. Not all who work have a job that PROVIDES overtime hours like X85 gets. As a coach, I have paid out of my pocket shoes for players, camp fees for players in which I knew their parents could not afford it.

 

Again, not all private school kids/parents are rich. Not all public school kids/parent are poor. You are still trying to play class warfare.

 

And BTW - did you offer to send every kid to camp or pay for their shoes? If not, that is a violation. Maybe you should report yourself to the KHSAA. ;) :thumb:

First I applaud you for being involved in your child's education and sending the message to them that education is very important. As a teacher, I wish more parents had this mindset.

 

To your question, I have heard at state basketball tournaments, this answer to your example and question. You are an exception. Yeah, you can find some just like you but the overwhelming majority is "silver spoon."

 

As far as RunFirst, not all have that choice. It might come down for them on whether to pay the electric bill or a camp. Not all who work have a job that PROVIDES overtime hours like X85 gets. As a coach, I have paid out of my pocket shoes for players, camp fees for players in which I knew their parents could not afford it.

 

In my time at X...I was far from the exception...It was the silver spoon kids that were the exception. Are their rich kids at X...of course....but the majority of kids at X were just like me...working middle class...and proud of it.

 

You sound like a coach that cares about the kids...and I applaud you for that...it takes someone who shows they care to make a difference..

You want to know something, I can't wait for my daughter to go off to college, the tuition will be cheaper! :D Also when she goes off to college my wife and I won't have to go back to her school five days a week to work around three hours a day, after working our first jobs to reduce her tuition so she can attend.... Funny thing is, the Admission Counsels and Professors at the Kentucky Public Universities that we have talked to, have told us that graduating from the school she is, is such an advantage in attending college.... So now after working my eight and then working three more, at least I can say, I am doing what best for my kid......and I now have to agree, that us Private supporters do at least have an advantage on the Academic side of the ledger, and it was the Public Universities that told me so......

Tremendous post OG......it will all work out for the best.

[/i][/b]

 

In my time at X...I was far from the exception...It was the silver spoon kids that were the exception. Are their rich kids at X...of course....but the majority of kids at X were just like me...working middle class...and proud of it.

 

You sound like a coach that cares about the kids...and I applaud you for that...it takes someone who shows they care to make a difference..

 

 

Yep there were just as many old beaters in the X parking lot as there were BMWs and Mercedes. Id say only 10% of the schools students were what I would consider rich. Im from Bullitt Co. and lived in apartments and trailers for most of my childhood. Im not saying many students came from the same background as me but there were plenty of parents working two jobs to pay for tuition.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.