C-J Readers' Corner Letter today (8/30)

sports fan

What does anyone think?

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060830/SPORTS/608300528/1002/SPORTS

I think numbers helps, but players from big schools don't just show up and accept trophies. Coaching , facilities, and yes, discipline and attitude DO matter...a LOT. You could never convince me that private school coaches don't put in more time than (most) public school counterparts. I sincerely wish the public schools would become more competitive, but not through legislation. In the 70's & 80's Butler, Ballard, Fern Creek, Southern and a few others in Jefferson County had very tough teams. For that matter, Atherton was really good just a few decades ago.

Also, today's letter writer tried to, in a sensationalist manner, re-write the previous letter writer's points with an extra pinch of acrimony, IMO.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll pose a question from another thread that was never really answered and relates to this.

If numbers are so important then why do the NKY 4A schools seem to struggle with their smaller counterparts in that area and how does a school like Beechwood have the success it has against much bigger foes?

I got a little laugh out of the CJ's reader corner today as well. If hard work, dicipline are all equal (as the writer claims) then how come the results are different for the fast majority of 4A public schools? Numbers? 11 on 11.... Its all an excuse to cover up the reality of "we cant compete".... Talking about it and pointing fingers will never raise the public schools to the level where they can compete on a consistent basis. Maybe the private schools shoud push for a basketball realignment because they cant win a championship......(Im just joking - If we cant win it, then we are obviously not good enough to win it......) I think working hard and being diciplined are steps to take in reaching the goal. Crying about realignment will not help private schools win a chmpionship in basketball......

Its all a matter of your perspective and your understanding of (or lack of) what it takes to be a champion..... They just dont give them away........

Like it or not, Mr. Maney has a point about enrollment. Most (if not all) states classify their HS football by enrollment. If more kids didn't constitute an advantage, why would they do this? Deep down you know it does (even if you refuse to admit it).

Like it or not, Mr. Maney has a point about enrollment. Most (if not all) states classify their HS football by enrollment. If more kids didn't constitute an advantage, why would they do this? Deep down you know it does (even if you refuse to admit it).

:thumb:

I hate hearing how the private schools work harder, etc. It's rather pety to dismiss the efforts given by athletes at the public schools. Numbers do matter, it helps a lot if a team is able to go 2 deep at each postion, when some schools have guys playing both ways.

Then why do the NKY 4A schools struggle so much with schools in the lower classifications?

Yes there is an advantage to having a larger enrollment but it is not the all encompassing reason for domination by schools like Trinity and X. If enrollment size was such a huge factor Beechwood, Highlands, CCH, Holy Cross et al. would never beat the NKY 4A teams.

Yes there is an advantage to having a larger enrollment ...
Thanks for admitting it ... that may be a first here.

... but it is not the all encompassing reason for domination by schools like Trinity and X.
I don't ever remember anyone saying it is. Nonetheless, it is a significant advantage.

If enrollment size was such a huge factor Beechwood, Highlands, CCH, Holy Cross et al. would never beat the NKY 4A teams.
I'm guessing it's because the 4A programs there aren't exactly regular powerhouses. Quite often, the teams beating them are.

I'm guessing it's because the 4A programs there aren't exactly regular powerhouses. Quite often, the teams beating them are.

Boy what a safe answer. First I would put enrollment numbers at about 10 on why Trinity and X have had the success they have had. (out of 10). If Trinity suddenly dropped to an enrollment of 700 I would be willing to bet they would still be successful.

I would say you are being more then a little disingenuous if you really think that enrollment is such an advantage for X and T but not for the 4A schools in NKY. Again I ask the question if enrollment is such a huge factor why do the small schools regularly beat NKY 4A schools. As far as I'm concerned it shows that enrollment may not be as important as some say it is.

Boy what a safe answer.
A very accurate one, too.

Boy what a safe answer. First I would put enrollment numbers at about 10 on why Trinity and X have had the success they have had. (out of 10). If Trinity suddenly dropped to an enrollment of 700 I would be willing to bet they would still be successful.
I would put it higher than 10 ... certainly in the top five. If Trinity was at half their current enrollment, they would still be successful. Most likely, they wouldn't be quite as successul as they are now.

I would say you are being more then a little disingenuous if you really think that enrollment is such an advantage for X and T but not for the 4A schools in NKY.
Again, you're mischaracterizing my view. It's not hard to see that it can be an advantage for the 4A schools in northern Kentucky as well, but other programs have found ways to counter that.

Again I ask the question if enrollment is such a huge factor why do the small schools regularly beat NKY 4A schools. As far as I'm concerned it shows that enrollment may not be as important as some say it is.
You are entitled to your opinion.

If Apollo,Owensboro, & Owensboro Catholic were to combine football teams they would be substantially better, would they not? They would be able to pick from about 1500 boys similar to T and X if not just a few more. However, if this hypothetical consolidation took place some would just decide that they boys now work harder, want it more, etc.

With the point of view that numbers is the primary reason that x and t win in football, how come that theory does not hold water when we apply this to the basketball equation..? If it were merely numbers, t and x would show dominance in basketball. Now, x does have 5 state championships in basketball, but they go back befor 1970.... Hard to say that this was a result of numbers....

With the point of view that numbers is the primary reason that x and t win in football, how come that theory does not hold water when we apply this to the basketball equation..? If it were merely numbers, t and x would show dominance in basketball. Now, x does have 5 state championships in basketball, but they go back befor 1970.... Hard to say that this was a result of numbers....

Football and Basketball are apples and oranges as far as numbers go, sure it helps, but you could put an O.J. Mayo at any school in the state and they would be the favorite to win the Sweet Sixteen. An O.J. caliber player in football at any random school wouldn't produce the same expectations. Football is probably the truest "team" sport that is played.

Then why do the NKY 4A schools struggle so much with schools in the lower classifications?

Yes there is an advantage to having a larger enrollment but it is not the all encompassing reason for domination by schools like Trinity and X. If enrollment size was such a huge factor Beechwood, Highlands, CCH, Holy Cross et al. would never beat the NKY 4A teams.

Look, anybody can pick a lousy program from a large school class and compare it to an awesome program from a smaller class and spin it as proving their point. I never said there weren't other factors such as tradition, coaching, enrollment policies, and community support that have an effect on success. Comparing Beechwood to Scott High School is not an apples to apples comparison because Scott simply doesn't have the history of success that Beechwood does. There are many schools like Atherton that, despite their 3A and sometimes 4A classification, have never been particularly strong football schools. Probably never will be. Kids don't go to Atherton because of its football program. If you compare apples to apples (i.e. programs with strong traditions, good coaching, open enrollment, etc), you will find that, on average, the larger programs tend to have more success head to head against smaller programs. This is the numbers advantage at work.

I'll admit its an advantage (not as big of one as people make out) but to me its like the open enrollment with public schools. You cant handcuff yourself then expect everyone else to do the same. You cant keep the school size smaller then cry about some schools getting bigger.

Look, anybody can pick a lousy program from a large school class and compare it to an awesome program from a smaller class and spin it as proving their point. I never said there weren't other factors such as tradition, coaching, enrollment policies, and community support that have an effect on success. Comparing Beechwood to Scott High School is not an apples to apples comparison because Scott simply doesn't have the history of success that Beechwood does.

Fine pick ALL of NKY 4A. Boone Co has a history of good football. They got smacked around by a smaller school. Dixie knocked off Trinity a few years ago they got smoked by a 3A AND a 1A school.