Bristol Motor Speedway loves the Belfry Pirates :)

Watusi

I will say that US 119 on the Ky side of Pine Mountain and US 58 on the Va side are both incredibly beautiful drives, and it was stark at how different it looked in the valley areas with the pastoral farmlands in Virginia compared to the rocky, forested Ky side.

I grew up in Harlan about 5 minutes from the virginia border. I can still remember how beautiful the scenery was driving down these roads.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A longtime Belfry family member and very good friend to lots of the staff and former Belfry teacher (Watusi can correct me but I think he also was an Assistant Coach himself), is a big to do with Bristol Motor Speedway and a respected man in NASCAR circles.
Former student, teacher, coach and native son of Belfry, indeed. (And also a proud Varney Jet :D)

I thought it was really cool thing to do. The guy who did that is the closest thing to a brother I ever had growing up. First class dude.

Mr. Trout had moved on from Belfry by the time I got there (bet you feel real old now HAHA) but I remember as a kid when they took us to visit the High School in Grade School and he was the guy everyone viewed as "The Cool Teacher". He went out of his way to come speak with the group and was very funny and all of us young kids who didn't know how High School schedules worked were like "I hope he is our teacher!" I also remember he had a column in the WDN back in the day as well.

I always heard absolutely nothing but the most positive things about Mr. Trout.

Also, I unfortunately cannot attest to being a Varney Jet Alumni. I was in 7th Grade when the school flooded and they split us all up. Varney was always the crown jewel of the Belfry Feeder System.

I grew up in Harlan about 5 minutes from the virginia border. I can still remember how beautiful the scenery was driving down these roads.

Went through their in the spring time on my way to Honaker, VA. That is really some beautiful country. Good luck this weekend in Knoxville.