Is This Speeding Ticket Appropriate?

Clyde

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, those of you who think the ticket was out of line, what is your position on the above?

That in his situation he was going to speed regardless of a chance to get a ticket and that it is an unfortunate and tragic situation. I think we would all speed in similar situations.

At the same time your question poses a different situation than the actual situation. If he was in an accident and killed 4 people I would need more information involving the crash to make an informed decision.

I'm sorry but driving 90 mph, there's no way you are in complete control of your vehicle and not putting those around you at risk. Plus, you are not accounting for the "lawildcat rules for driving" factor. #1 - look out for idiots. #2 - everyone is an idiot. #3 - don't be an idiot.

Very possible they are in complete control of their vehicle yet still put others at risk. Unless you have the road 100% to yourself there is no way you can drive 90 and not put others at risk.

That in his situation he was going to speed regardless of a chance to get a ticket and that it is an unfortunate and tragic situation. I think we would all speed in similar situations.

At the same time your question poses a different situation than the actual situation. If he was in an accident and killed 4 people I would need more information involving the crash to make an informed decision.

I'm not trying to say I or you or anyone wouldn't speed in that situation. Your going to do what you have to to help your family member. My point is we can't just discard laws because of the situation.

Let's say the son has been drinking. Do we think he should be let out of a DUI?

I'm not trying to say I or you or anyone wouldn't speed in that situation. Your going to do what you have to to help your family member. My point is we can't just discard laws because of the situation.

Let's say the son has been drinking. Do we think he should be let out of a DUI?

If I was in this situation and was taking my Dad to the hospital, I'd gladly pay the couple hundred dollar ticket. Well worth it IMO.

Not enough man power I guess. I don't know. You'd have to ask the cops. I know as a tax paying citizen I prefer my tax dollars go to eradicating the growing heroin epidemic than seeing the same

speed traps over and over again.

It isnt a trap. They give you all the rules and post giant signs everywhere telling you the speed limit.

If you get caught in the same place over and over again, that's your fault.

People whining about speeding tickets are funny. You know the risks of speeding, you choose to do it anyway. You are willing to pay the price to speed.

I dont speed that often. Ill drive around 10 over at most. When i do speed, i know getting pulled over is a possibility. If i get pulled over, its no ones fault but mine.

The heroin argument is ignorant. Police can patrol highways AND combat heroin. In fact, what if i told you traffic stops sometimes result in big heroin busts?

The money argument...

I agree that the price of tickets are too high. That is because everyone in every county dips their hands in the court cost money. Everyone, except the people writing a lot of those tickets. Many police agencies writing speeding tickets never see a dime of that money. I think Kentucky is fairly cheap compared to some states though. I've heard of some outrageous ticket costs in other states.

As for the OP...

Why couldnt he call an ambulance? Where do we draw the line?

It isnt a trap. They give you all the rules and post giant signs everywhere telling you the speed limit.

If you get caught in the same place over and over again, that's your fault.

People whining about speeding tickets are funny. You know the risks of speeding, you choose to do it anyway. You are willing to pay the price to speed.

I dont speed that often. Ill drive around 10 over at most. When i do speed, i know getting pulled over is a possibility. If i get pulled over, its no ones fault but mine.

The heroin argument is ignorant. Police can patrol highways AND combat heroin. In fact, what if i told you traffic stops sometimes result in big heroin busts?

The money argument...

I agree that the price of tickets are too high. That is because everyone in every county dips their hands in the court cost money. Everyone, except the people writing a lot of those tickets. Many police agencies writing speeding tickets never see a dime of that money. I think Kentucky is fairly cheap compared to some states though. I've heard of some outrageous ticket costs in other states.

As for the OP...

Why couldnt he call an ambulance? Where do we draw the line?

I don't get caught in my hometown area in their traps. It's always out of my area when I get caught. I don't know their speed traps out of town all that well yet. In due time though......

Yeah, we covered the cops busting drug dealers in traffic stops about 12 hours ago. Thanks though. Appreciate your input. :thumb:

Even better now is the online courses you can take. So convenient and you can do it once a year if you time it right.

So you'd call an ambulance and wait for the ambulance instead of trying to get your loved one to the hospital faster if you have the means to do so?

I don't get caught in my hometown area in their traps. It's always out of my area when I get caught. I don't know their speed traps out of town all that well yet. In due time though......

Yeah, we covered the cops busting drug dealers in traffic stops about 12 hours ago. Thanks though. Appreciate your input. :thumb:

Even better now is the online courses you can take. So convenient and you can do it once a year if you time it right.

So you'd call an ambulance and wait for the ambulance instead of trying to get your loved one to the hospital faster if you have the means to do so?

Its not a trap. You know the rules. You know the limits. If you don't, that is your fault.

I responded to your comment. I apologize if someone had said it before. You kept harping on the "they should arrest heroin dealers instead of writing tickets" thing. They do arrest heroin dealers. Everyone on the department can't devote all their time to one thing....there are a lot of people who abuse our roadways and drive like they own them. I love nothing more than seeing them get stopped after blowing my doors off after weaving in and out of 3 lanes.

Ambulance? It depends. If i needed to drive them I would. But Id gladly accept the fine if i got one. It would be worth it to me.

Its not a trap. You know the rules. You know the limits. If you don't, that is your fault.

I responded to your comment. I apologize if someone had said it before. You kept harping on the "they should arrest heroin dealers instead of writing tickets" thing. They do arrest heroin dealers. Everyone on the department can't devote all their time to one thing....there are a lot of people who abuse our roadways and drive like they own them. I love nothing more than seeing them get stopped after blowing my doors off after weaving in and out of 3 lanes.

Ambulance? It depends. If i needed to drive them I would. But Id gladly accept the fine if i got one. It would be worth it to me.

You are exactly right. I do know the rules. That's why when I get my ticket I politely thank the officer for my ticket and pay it on time. Because I know the rules and I was caught. I still think speeding tickets are stupid and a waste of time.

Sounds like we need more cops on the streets looking for speeders. We need more cops keeping slow people out of the left lane also. Isn't that supposed to be a ticket also?

Any one of my loved ones or possibly even if someone I don't know is in serious enough shape to be taken to the hospital and I can get them there faster than an ambulance is riding with me. I've paid numerous fines before and likely will again and none have ever been an emergency situation. I just have a lead foot in the wrong places sometimes.

You are exactly right. I do know the rules. That's why when I get my ticket I politely thank the officer for my ticket and pay it on time. Because I know the rules and I was caught. I still think speeding tickets are stupid and a waste of time.

Sounds like we need more cops on the streets looking for speeders. We need more cops keeping slow people out of the left lane also. Isn't that supposed to be a ticket also?

Any one of my loved ones or possibly even if someone I don't know is in serious enough shape to be taken to the hospital and I can get them there faster than an ambulance is riding with me. I've paid numerous fines before and likely will again and none have ever been an emergency situation. I just have a lead foot in the wrong places sometimes.

I never said otherwise. Just that it is not a trap.

Police do stop and write people for holding the left lane. Why? What did i write that insinuates we need more?

As i said, if i needed to I'd drive them too.

I never said otherwise. Just that it is not a trap.

Police do stop and write people for holding the left lane. Why? What did i write that insinuates we need more?

As i said, if i needed to I'd drive them too.

Ah okay. I guess cops sitting in the same place that is normally in a driver's blind spot until it is too late has a different name that I am not aware of. My fault for not getting it 100% technically correct. Most folks call those speed traps but I see we are all wrong. I apologize on behalf of all of us who don't know the proper name for it.

You spoke on how you love seeing folks get pulled over after blowing your doors off while weaving in and out of 3 lanes. I don't drive like that but I see tons of people doing that every single day. Guess we need more cops on the streets. Gotta get those speeders.

Ah okay. I guess cops sitting in the same place that is normally in a driver's blind spot until it is too late has a different name that I am not aware of. My fault for not getting it 100% technically correct. Most folks call those speed traps but I see we are all wrong. I apologize on behalf of all of us who don't know the proper name for it.

You spoke on how you love seeing folks get pulled over after blowing your doors off while weaving in and out of 3 lanes. I don't drive like that but I see tons of people doing that every single day. Guess we need more cops on the streets. Gotta get those speeders.

I dont know if there is an official name. But when they give you a big sign telling you the limit, i fail to see how they trapped you. Its just another term that allows people to shift responsibility. You can call it whatever you want and i can disagree with it.

A lot of people die every year because of speeders. Im sure some are saved because they were pulled over. You can keep minimalizing it because you want to drive fast, that's ok.

I dont know if there is an official name. But when they give you a big sign telling you the limit, i fail to see how they trapped you. Its just another term that allows people to shift responsibility. You can call it whatever you want and i can disagree with it.

A lot of people die every year because of speeders. Im sure some are saved because they were pulled over. You can keep minimalizing it because you want to drive fast, that's ok.

I've already apologized for incorrectly calling it a speed trap. What more do you want?

Don't worry. I will continue to do both. :thumb:

On NPR last week, there was a discussion of a study whose results showed that slow drivers holding the left lane are more dangerous than speeders. This was while I was trying to pass a slow driver who wouldn't get out of the left lane.

I commute daily now. I see drivers pulled over for speeding. I've yet to see one pulled over for holding the left lane. I'm sure that it happens. I've just never seen it.

On NPR last week, there was a discussion of a study whose results showed that slow drivers holding the left lane are more dangerous than speeders. This was while I was trying to pass a slow driver who wouldn't get out of the left lane.

I commute daily now. I see drivers pulled over for speeding. I've yet to see one pulled over for holding the left lane. I'm sure that it happens. I've just never seen it.

Much more dangerous and problematic IMO. Mind boggling how people just don't get what the left lane is for.