Coaching Cards not honored

hector

:fight: I just heard that coaching cards will not be honored at the Ray Corell bowl. I personally think this is a crock. I knew that they were not accepted at some State Tournament events but I thought they they would get you in any regular season contests. Coaches work their tails off for very little pay and one of the benefits is a coaching card. And tonight its not honored. Can the KHSAA mandate that schools honor coaching cards?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree!

There is nothing worse than when a school pulls this one on a coach (especially when they are there to scout). It just makes it a lot easier to get up for that opponent.

I don't think that the KHSAA can do anything about it--because the cards are from the Kentucky Football Coaches Association. (But that would probably mean that the coaches association could do something about it if they wanted).

I understand that the bowls are about making some money (at least part of the theory)--but they don't give out those cards for free. Each school has to pay for them-which makes it even more interesting.

The schools that don't honor the passes always stay in the back of my mind (in a negative manner).

I agree!

There is nothing worse than when a school pulls this one on a coach (especially when they are there to scout). It just makes it a lot easier to get up for that opponent.

I don't think that the KHSAA can do anything about it--because the cards are from the Kentucky Football Coaches Association. (But that would probably mean that the coaches association could do something about it if they wanted).

I understand that the bowls are about making some money (at least part of the theory)--but they don't give out those cards for free. Each school has to pay for them-which makes it even more interesting.

The schools that don't honor the passes always stay in the back of my mind (in a negative manner).

I think that it goes to the point of being classless. It simply displays a lack of respect for what coaches do for young men when you don't accept these cards. If your program is that hard up for five bucks, do a fundraiser.

I'm not defending either school but sometimes, Coaching Cards are issued to school officials, BOE employees, Elementary staff and so on....which can lead to lost revenue for schools.

I'm not sure on the requirement, they must be accepted at any KHSAA event but I do believe, if the event is sanctioned through NFHS, that the host school has the option to accept.

The schools/coaches that ABUSE the cards always stay in the back of my mind(in a negative way). I've seen too many times to mention when some coaches kids were trying to use the cards to get in.

Again, a few bad apples spoils the whole bunch.

The schools/coaches that ABUSE the cards always stay in the back of my mind(in a negative way). I've seen too many times to mention when some coaches kids were trying to use the cards to get in.

Again, a few bad apples spoils the whole bunch.

I disagree. When it comes down to nuts and bolts, coache's families should be getting into the games free too. This is one of the little bonuses afforded to coaches other than the pay they recieve that usually doesn't cover the gas they spend coaching.

I disagree. When it comes down to nuts and bolts, coache's families should be getting into the games free too. This is one of the little bonuses afforded to coaches other than the pay they receive that usually doesn't cover the gas they spend coaching.
I don't agree, that coaches and their families should get in Free.

Head Coach and their families....Yes but the Assistant Coaches should get in free, to any event but their families should pay.

Do teachers get in free, if they attend away games. Do Board of Education, Custodians, Bus Drivers, Teacher Aids, Substitutes get in free, if games are played away. Do Sports Booster and their families get in free, ticket takers, chain crews....etc.

In some school districts, which have above 1,000 students....the ticket numbers will be up and lost revenue can be overcame but in some 2A and 1A size enrollment schools, this loss can be sometimes 25-40% or more and than can certainly adversely affect athletic budgets.

I too, have witnessed children of coaches, attempting to use the cards and they weren't issued for that purpose.

I don't agree, that coaches and their families should get in Free.

Head Coach and their families....Yes but the Assistant Coaches should get in free, to any event but their families should pay.

I don't even agree with that much. Head coaches and assistant coaches only. Families are just spectators like everyone else. The one exception would be to allow head coach families in for free to games where their team was actually playing.

I don't even agree with that much. Head coaches and assistant coaches only. Families are just spectators like everyone else. The one exception would be to allow head coach families in for free to games where their team was actually playing.
Yes, I should have indicated they were participating.

I'm involved with several sporting events and that is exactly, how it's done. Head coaches and assistants, admitted free....Head coaches family, admitted free...Assistant family, pays.

Athletic Director, Principal and Superintendent and spouse, are admitted if their team is participating.

A coaches family, whether it be a head coach or an assistant goes through as much as the coach does. They should be let in for free. Come on, pick up the tab!
Head Coaches, get the wins/losses and all the blame or glory.

Some football programs have 5, 6 or more Assistant Coaches and if they are a family of 4, that can be 30± families....multiply that over 5 home games during just Football and your easily looking at, $750 lost revenue.

Factor in Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball and other revenue generating sports, which rely on income from these sports (Tennis, Track, Golf, etc...) and that lost revenue can mean less equipment, uniforms, supplies for a school.

I'll go you one better, I know a person very well, who has a KHSAA Coaching Card but still pays to get into home events, in which he does not coach. His way of making sure, his "school" gets some revenue from him.