Tailgate season is coming

coldweatherfan

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The grilled pizza tailgate was a big success.

I ended up making 6 pizzas. 2 were Chicago style done in cast iron skillets and 4 were thin crust prepared on baking stones.

The thin crust pizzas were as follows ...

pepperoni

cheese only

pepperoni, sausage, & bacon

veggie (peppers, onions, & mushrooms)

The Chicago styles were

pepperoni, sausage, & bacon

pepperoni, sausage, bacon, peppers, onions, mushrooms

[ATTACH]57891[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57892[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]57893[/ATTACH]

Damn. That looks fantastic. Do you have a recipe for that Chicago style?

Damn. That looks fantastic. Do you have a recipe for that Chicago style?

I prepared all of the toppings in a frying pan adding the sauce at the end, instead of putting the veggies in raw. Other than that, nothing remarkable.

The sauce was Ragu Homestyle (2 for $3).

This was recipe for the dough... :D

dough.jpg

Public pizza dough is pretty good.

I recommend a liberal amount of butter in your pan to give it a nice crusty bottom.

I sprayed the pan with Pam olive oil.

Temperature is key. I found cooking at a lower temperature for longer periods worked better. None of my tailgate grills have thermometers, so I just set the dial on my Weber a couple of notches above the lowest setting. That seemed to work best for the Chicago style.

With all of this experimenting, I've had pizza almost everyday for a week. I didn't think I could get tired of pizza, but ...

I sprayed the pan with Pam olive oil.

Temperature is key. I found cooking at a lower temperature for longer periods worked better. None of my tailgate grills have thermometers, so I just set the dial on my Weber a couple of notches above the lowest setting. That seemed to work best for the Chicago style.

With all of this experimenting, I've had pizza almost everyday for a week. I didn't think I could get tired of pizza, but ...

LOL. I'm a pizza guy myself.

Traditional Chicago is buttercrust.

I did not do a good job with pictures this week. In fact I only took one.

I broke out the brick oven. I prepped up a bunch of different topping, let people create their own, and grilled them by the slice.

I couldn't find my old bricks so I ran to Lowe's and got these. They worked, but not as good as the bricks with holes in them.

image.jpeg

Eggs and kegs this weekend. :D

Getting to the lot at 7 am.

Mrs. S is making homemade biscuits, Friday night. We will be making sausage gravy, sausage patties, bacon, and eggs on the grills and my Coleman stove. Others are bringing cinnamon rolls, donuts, and breakfast casseroles. Beverages will start with coffee and mimosas, then switch to regular tailgate beverages around 10 am.

• 2 weeks later...

So, who wants a fatty?

I make the fatty the night before so all I have to do is throw it on the grill and offset cook it. To me 300 degrees is the perfect temp for these.

Start with some dirty rice. Make it ahead and put it in the fridge to cool completely.

Fatty2.JPG

Make yourself a bacon weave.

Fatty 7.JPG

Mix together some hot italian sausage, sweet italian sausages, and rib rub.

Fatty 4.JPG

Put the sausage in a gallon zip lock and smash it out even.

Fatty 8.JPG

Fatty 10.JPG

Cut the ziplock open, lay the sausage on your bacon weave, and put some pepper jack cheese on it.

Fatty 12.JPG

Add your dirty rice, some rub, and some barbie.

Fatty 14.JPG

Roll that bad boy up.

Fatty 16.JPG

Tuck in the ends and hit it with a little more rub.

Fatty 18.JPG

300 degrees for about an hour and 15. Then sauce it.

Fatty 20.JPG

About 15 more minutes and it should be 165 degrees.

Fatty 21.JPG

Let it rest about 10 minutes and cut that bad boy up.

Fatty 22.JPG

@swamprat and I don't play when it comes to tailgate food.

No. No we don't.

FSU Tailgate. The menu ended up consisting of 5 lbs. of bacon, 2 lbs. of sausage links, 3 dozen eggs, 6 quarts of sausage gravy, 3 dozen homemade biscuits, 2 dozen homemade cinnamon rolls, various pastries from a local bakery, 4 gallons of coffee, 2 gallons of orange juice, 3 bottles of champagne, and a fifth of Buffalo Trace for Kentucky coffee.

Somebody also brought one of those Chick-fil-A Chick-n-Mini Trays. Those mini things are good, covered in sausage gravy.

Of course, the above does not include the regular adult beverages also consumed as with any tailgate, nor does it include our traditional green and gold picklebacks.

Back in our regular spot after a couple of weeks of drying out and repair to the lot after Hermine.

tg2.jpg

tg3.jpg

tg4.jpg

tg5.jpg

6 Quarts of Mrs. S's sausage gravy love.

tg6.jpg

tg7.jpg

tg8.jpg

tg9.jpg