Bracken County cancels all away sporting events with Augusta and St. Patrick

The current 39th district was set in 2006. Here are the times Bracken and Mason County have drawn each other:

Basketball: 2006, 2007, 2011, 2016

Baseball: 2007, 2008, 2010, 2014, 2015(was later seeded), 2016

Your argument that Bracken County benefits from the draw more than anyone seems to be missing some good ol' fashion logic and common sense.

Sorry Woodstock, normally concur with you. But your post contradicts itself. In basketball 2006-2016 is 11 basketball seasons and Bracken drew Mason 4 times that means 7 of 11 times it worked for them in basketball. Pretty favorable results by anyone's mathematical calculations.

Baseball was less favorable with them drawing MC either 5 or 6 of the 10 times.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's ok for clearly inferior teams to get to the region by fortunate seeding, but for the better team who draws the bad pill, it's tough luck....get better and win.

There is NO good argument for a random draw. None, zero, zip.

Other then the argument that each school has the responsibility to do what is best for their own program. KHSAA has the responsibility to do what is fair and best for high school sports in totality. To allow this disparity is irresponsible on their part.

Sorry Woodstock, normally concur with you. But your post contradicts itself. In basketball 2006-2016 is 11 basketball seasons and Bracken drew Mason 4 times that means 7 of 11 times it worked for them in basketball. Pretty favorable results by anyone's mathematical calculations.

Baseball was less favorable with them drawing MC either 5 or 6 of the 10 times.

In 11 seasons here's who drew Mason County: Bracken County 4, Saint Pat 4, Augusta 3. Was just disagreeing with the argument that Bracken County benefits from the draw more than anybody as stated by @Brackengrad95

And the draw has screwed Bracken County even worse on the baseball side of things.

In 11 seasons here's who drew Mason County: Bracken County 4, Saint Pat 4, Augusta 3. Was just disagreeing with the argument that Bracken County benefits from the draw more than anybody as stated by @Brackengrad95

And the draw has screwed Bracken County even worse on the baseball side of things.

You forget, the only argument and motivation is to avoid MC. Worked for you guys 7 of 11 times. Congrats on the good luck with the pill.

You forget, the only argument and motivation is to avoid MC. Worked for you guys 7 of 11 times. Congrats on the good luck with the pill.

The SECOND best team should avoid MC. Historically which has been Bracken except for Augusta's once in a lifetime run where Augusta and Mason should have both been in region in 12, 13, 14.

*Added: The first and second team should play in the finals and go to region period!!

The SECOND best team should avoid MC. Historically which has been Bracken except for Augusta's once in a lifetime run where Augusta and Mason should have both been in region in 12, 13, 14.

*Added: The first and second team should play in the finals and go to region period!!

What if somebody beats them in the district semis?

Could not agree more. KHSAA is totally at fault. Never should be an option to draw. But, until you win that argument with KHSAA, you can't fairly find fault with school officials that think the draw is best for their program.

This district likes to hand out participation trophies. The best team should get to play the worst team in the district semifinals.

An 0-10 baseball team should be playing the best team in the first round of the district tournament. That's their punishment for not winning a game.

A blind draw is plain dumb. Anybody who supports a blind draw has no argument other than that they like participation trophies.

If you want to play in the regional tournament, start winning in the regular season.

20 years from now, the players on the district runner up teams will be able to tell their kids they played on a district runner up team in 2016. There won't be a whole lot remembered about how they got there (draw). I was at the softball finals and the joy on the St. Pat's girls was genuine when they got the runner up trophy. You can't take that away from them.

I'm very much in favor of seeding, but please don't punish the kids or the school administrations for trying to do what's in the best interest of their school and the kids. I agree that this is a KHSAA issue to deal with.

This issue has existed for decades. But only now is there outrage. Take it up with the KHSAA. There was no crying when Bracken drew St. Patrick in 2013 and 2014 in basketball. Only now when it happened in baseball. And unless the 39th winner draws the 38th loser then no 39th district team was going to win a game in the region tourney in baseball this year.

The state should mandate seeding, but you can't wine and complain only when it affects you negatively and then not say a word when it works out in your favor. Be consistent.

20 years from now, the players on the district runner up teams will be able to tell their kids they played on a district runner up team in 2016. There won't be a whole lot remembered about how they got there (draw).
And the kids from Bracken County will tell their kids how bad they got screwed out of region. Will the Augusta kids include the part of how bad the got beat in the district and region?

And the kids from Bracken County will tell their kids how bad they got screwed out of region. Will the Augusta kids include the part of how bad the got beat in the district and region?

Someone emptily stated what value is bragging rights? Nothing they obseved. Sorry it is all about bragging rights. 100% about bragging rights. When you are my age, you look back at the significant wins with joy and delight, and forget those heartbreaking losses. Occassionally, you will recall embarrassing things that happened, and you will think how foolish you were to have allowed your poor decisions to turn into embarrassment for yourself and others. Taking your ball and going home will be remembered fondly by no one. BC, take your battle to the KHSAA, and try to salvage your integrity and minimize the embarrassment for your competitive and proud alumni.

A few things:

I support both, Bracken and Augusta. Have enjoyed Augusta's success as of late very much. Definitely think the district should be seeded. Admittedly, I'm not crazy about the path that Bracken has chosen to attempt to reach that goal. And yes, maybe that path is a form of "taking your ball and going home." And I understand that Augusta and St Pat are voting in their best interest, but make no mistake, to vote against what is fair and logical for everyone involved is equally a form of "taking your ball and going home." And while I realize it is all in the wording, it makes no sense that a split vote simply equates to simply leaving it as is.

A few things:

I support both, Bracken and Augusta. Have enjoyed Augusta's success as of late very much. Definitely think the district should be seeded. Admittedly, I'm not crazy about the path that Bracken has chosen to attempt to reach that goal. And yes, maybe that path is a form of "taking your ball and going home." And I understand that Augusta and St Pat are voting in their best interest, but make no mistake, to vote against what is fair and logical for everyone involved is equally a form of "taking your ball and going home." And while I realize it is all in the wording, it makes no sense that a split vote simply equates to simply leaving it as is.

Another sidestep by the KHSAA in doing what is logical and fair for the game in general. Again, I am 100% a seeding proponent. But, with the KHSAA taking the "ostrich syndrome approach" it seems in a split vote District it should alternate annually between drawing and seeding. Another alternative, at the worst, when there is a split vote, seems a coin-flip ought to decide.