Bracken County cancels all away sporting events with Augusta and St. Patrick

Augusta's athletic director Robin Kel... I mean Rebeca Arnold aids they are are big on tradition, and won't seed because the 39th has always drawn. But traditionally doesn't Bracken County play Augusta twice a year? Sort of contradicting his argument there.

Don't have a dog in this fight, but...I wonder if someone told Ms. Arnold that 65 years ago and before most kids out that way walked and/or rode mules/horses to school if she would agree they need to still do that since that's they way it was done for a long time.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding money...

I have been told that if the District opted to seed the 4 teams would split the money 4 ways, regardless of who qualified for the Regional Tournament.

Same thing Pendleton County introduced for the 38th District in basketball but Nicholas and Robertson were against it.

I don't think Augusta realizes how big of a hit the are taking by not playing Bracken County at home. Augusta's gym holds 500, charging $3-$5 a ticket making about that's around $2,000. Not to mention how much money was made at halftime by Perry Poe's cake auction. Bracken County will survive without Augusta. With money the 15% stake they had in hosting region and district. Not mention the money they make at the gate from other sports. A Shoot For A Cure game against Mason, Pendleton, Campbell etc. would still draw a big crowd. And it doesn't look like George Clooney is giving back to them any time soon.

Guarantee Augusta takes 5 times the crowd to the Igloo that BC brings to the Den. This will be a much bigger drain on the athletic coffers of the Bears than it will be on the Panthers. That being said, unless seeding is the end result, I hate to see the end of the rivalry regular season games.

True statement, I saw it happen on more than one occasion.

Ran into his dad one night at de Felice and was told him about going to NKU with George. He said he spent his college fund there. Hilarious.

Guarantee Augusta takes 5 times the crowd to the Igloo that BC brings to the Den. This will be a much bigger drain on the athletic coffers of the Bears than it will be on the Panthers. That being said, unless seeding is the end result, I hate to see the end of the rivalry regular season games.

The only thing that draws money at Augusta is boys basketball. Now that they are back to being same old lower tier of the region you know there will be a lot less at games. A home game at Bracken against Mason, Pendleton, Brossart, Paris etc, will still draw a big crowd. Bracken County has their extra money from hosting district/Class A region. I don't think Augusta realizes they can't live off their region money forever. Bracken is fine financially, Augusta is... well.

Augusta's athletic director Robin Kel... I mean Rebeca Arnold said they are are big on tradition, and won't seed because the 39th has always drawn. But traditionally doesn't Bracken County play Augusta twice a year? Sort of contradicting his argument there.
I'm pretty Rebecca is spelled with 2 Cs

The only thing that draws money at Augusta is boys basketball. Now that they are back to being same old lower tier of the region you know there will be a lot less at games. A home game at Bracken against Mason, Pendleton, Brossart, Paris etc, will still draw a big crowd. Bracken County has their extra money from hosting district/Class A region. I don't think Augusta realizes they can't live off their region money forever. Bracken is fine financially, Augusta is... well.

Now your just bragging! Never thought BC was hurting for money and never hinted that. The point was simply, Augusta fans travels better than BC, in fact as well as any fans in the 10th. Perhaps this is only true during our competitive run of the last 5-6 years, but you will be hard pressed to find a common opponent that will disagree.

To draw or not to draw? That is the question To draw or not to draw? That is the question | Sports | maysville-online.com

Augusta said they put in the same amount of time and effort into their baseball team that Bracken County does... Absolutely not true.

St Pat said they DESERVE to to be in region and COMPETE in it... They don't deserve it. And getting beat by 60 in the region isn't competing.

Actually, St. Patrick's did not say that it deserved to be in the regional, but only that its athletes deserved to have the opportunity to compete in regional tournaments. Its vote is consistent with giving its athletes the best chance to have that opportunity.

I appreciated the quote of the Mason County AD, who said that while it was in favor of seeding, "if other schools do not agree, we respect their view." How refreshing.

May I argue from the stance that I am against seeding for several reasons, and I don't have a dog in this districts fight. The coach I work for made sense to me when he once stated "if they seeded every level, such as region and state, then it would be fair to seed. Just like its not fair that the district runner up gets a second chance, and no one else does. If I was Augusta and had lost in the finals of the region, I would want the regional runner up to get a second chance too." Until there is some sort of equality in the way the tournament format is set up, there will never be a level playing field. Just my opinion. By the way, district runner ups were allowed to advance in their origins, because there were so many teams in districts, often up to 20 when this formula started, that they wanted a larger pool for the regional tournaments. I wish they would throw all 17 or 18 teams of the region into one hat, draw them out and get one winner per region, but the money the schools get off district tournaments, plus the so-called "tradition" of winning or being runner up of a district will never allow that.

One last thing. I always heard that all the schools want seeding so the best teams are in the region? They mean so "their" best team is assured a regional spot, because I would bet a weeks pay, that the coach of the best team in the region isn't wishing to be joined by the other best 7 teams too. Number one wants the bottom feeders to join him or her.

Actually, St. Patrick's did not say that it deserved to be in the regional, but only that its athletes deserved to have the opportunity to compete in regional tournaments. Its vote is consistent with giving its athletes the best chance to have that opportunity.

I appreciated the quote of the Mason County AD, who said that while it was in favor of seeding, "if other schools do not agree, we respect their view." How refreshing.

St. Pats does have the opportunity to compete in the regional tourney. Win or finish second in the seeded district.

Coming from a district that has 5 teams, 3 potential powerhouses and 2 teams that are undermanned most years. I'm a fan of seeding.

St. Pats does have the opportunity to compete in the regional tourney. Win or finish second in the seeded district.

THIS. If they really put forth the effort, being a #2 seed in a 4 team district with 3 class A schools isn't an impossible goal. (Coach Taylor is the guy who I believe will that on the boys basketball side)

Regarding money...

I have been told that if the District opted to seed the 4 teams would split the money 4 ways, regardless of who qualified for the Regional Tournament.

I would have to have that on contract, signed, witnessed and notarized. What a loss

to these students. There are a lot of B.C.H.S. Alumni who won't like this. That saying posted above the door of the gym may need to be changed to, From how you played the game To if we play the game.