Best Head Coach in KY without a championship

kypride

Best active coach without a ring.  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Best active coach without a ring.

so hes never won a state title, hence the topic of the thread.

I'm asking why the hedging comment at the beginning of his post obviously. As long as you're going to be very concerned about the original topic at hand can you give the brief explanation of Matneys accomplishments that do have to do with winning that I asked for? I'm not aware of all these guys numbers and such. Hence the thread.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to Coach Marksberry at Simon Kenton, he inherited a program back in about 2000 that had not had a winning season in who knows how long, at least 25 years, and turned them into a strong (Northern Kentucky) competitive team that wins 9-12 games every season. 2 regional titles but haven't gotten over the hump yet for a state title. He also has 5-8 players every year that play at the next level at some level and his players are good kids and stay out of trouble. Sounds like accomplishments to me especially from where the program was before he got there.

IMO, a great coach does more with less talent, or said in another way, gets the most out of the talent available. The benchmark for SK is really its rival Ryle. Both are similar sized schools, but in my view Ryle has had better talent over the last 10 years and is in a community where more economic support as a program, and individually as players is available.

Ryle should be winning 10 games every year without exception. They do not, SK for the most part does. Consistency for a decade now (except a hickup in 2011).

This post is confusing because, yes, there is more to the game than winning. However Matney wins a lot so........

Yeah I tend to do that a lot.

But Matney was my answer to the thread, but what I meant was sometimes the best head coaches aren't winners. Head Coaches are celebrities in essentially, and serve many roles none probably more important than serving as a male role model in a world where some kids may not have one.

As far as accomplishments for Matney, I don't know his total record at JC but he's taken the whole program and rebuilt it from the bottom up. JC should be a top 4 team in their class at the least with the talent that is coming up. He's built a program. He won't be ringless very long

I'm only familiar with the NKY area coaches and in my mind Randy Borchers stands head and shoulders above coaches who have not won a championship. What he's done in a short time at Cooper is amazing.

Good coach but can't find a way to beat Simon Kenton. 0-7 or something like that.

In regards to Coach Marksberry at Simon Kenton, he inherited a program back in about 2000 that had not had a winning season in who knows how long, at least 25 years, and turned them into a strong (Northern Kentucky) competitive team that wins 9-12 games every season. 2 regional titles but haven't gotten over the hump yet for a state title. He also has 5-8 players every year that play at the next level at some level and his players are good kids and stay out of trouble. Sounds like accomplishments to me especially from where the program was before he got there.

Coach Shipley at Shelby County has a very similar resume. Took over legendary coach Tom Becherer in 2000 and has had a roller coaster in terms of winning (from as bad as 1-10 to as good as 12-2 state semis) Only has 1 region title, but has been to the regional title game twice, and really helped the team stay focused and rebuild after Collins opened with immediate success. I certainly hope that after next year he won't fit the "No state rings" criteria anymore.

Mark Peach (Anderson County)

He's coached two different teams to State Finals (Hancock County in '99 & Anderson County '11) who had never been that far before him, and might not even after he is gone. He's coached a Mr. Football ('99- Travis Atwell), as well as taking Dunbar to the State Semis before also becoming the HFC at Campbellsville University in 2003-2004 (compiling a 15-7 record there). Anderson County if not mistaken had won five games in the four years before he arrived in 2005 (or maybe four in five, something like that..you get the idea).

Larry Mofield (Meade County)

In the land of big school football & having to go through the Big Three at that more years than not, he's as good as it gets. Meade has been to four region finals under hi eleven year tenure (region finals in '06, winning three of them ('07-lost to X in the semis, '13 & '14- lost to T). They made it to the 6A finals in '13 before losing to Scott County 21-14.

Those are two really good ones there! They would get my vote!

All very true. SK has come a long way. But it should probably be noted that Simon Kenton is basically tied for being the largest school in NKY, being fed by one of the fastest growing areas in the state, and in a district that allows open enrollment where the two other schools have played a lot of bad (at times horrible) football.

John Pettett from Monroe County. Yes I know he stepped down in January but he was head coach of the Falcons from 2004 to 2015 in his 12 years he won 3 Regional championships and was always talked about when playoffs started. He's also the winningest coach for Monroe County.

IMO, a great coach does more with less talent, or said in another way, gets the most out of the talent available. The benchmark for SK is really its rival Ryle. Both are similar sized schools, but in my view Ryle has had better talent over the last 10 years and is in a community where more economic support as a program, and individually as players is available.

Ryle should be winning 10 games every year without exception. They do not, SK for the most part does. Consistency for a decade now (except a hickup in 2011).

Playing many 1 to 3A schools will get you a lot of wins. Ryle hasn't done that like SK did up until the past couple years so those records are not comparable.

Playing many 1 to 3A schools will get you a lot of wins. Ryle hasn't done that like SK did up until the past couple years so those records are not comparable.

This statement would hold more water if the 1 to 3A schools SK played were bad teams. Playing Beechwood, Newport Catholic, CAL, I would argue are better teams than about half the 5A and 6A teams. Oh yeah Holy Cross, hmm didnt Holy Cross when a state title when SK played them on year.