Best Head Coach in KY without a championship

kypride

Best active coach without a ring.  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Best active coach without a ring.

Maybe a some of you can give some nominations. Id like to have a brief explanation with each. You could give us total wins, Region championships, examples of how they have raised a program from where it has historically been (not everyone is blessed with the same players), possibly his coaching tree that includes successful coaches, etc. Current and active coaches only please. No guys with a ring as a head coach.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the above are deserving, as are many others.

I think I'll go old school. It was a lot tougher back in the day to bring home the trophy.

John Cain from Somerset comes to mind immediately. I don't know what his record was, but he led the Jumpers to 3 or 4 state championship games during his tenure over a long span.

Mojo Hollowell was one of the winningest coaches in state history at one time, and reached the finals at least once, but never won one.

Guys like Herb Conley, Alvis Johnson, Jack Haskins also would be in this discussion I think.

Jeff Marksberry has had the good fortune of keeping most of his staff intact during his tenure at SK. He's also been blessed with strong community support during most of the last decade.

Brief explanation of accomplishments?

Mark Peach (Anderson County)

He's coached two different teams to State Finals (Hancock County in '99 & Anderson County '11) who had never been that far before him, and might not even after he is gone. He's coached a Mr. Football ('99- Travis Atwell), as well as taking Dunbar to the State Semis before also becoming the HFC at Campbellsville University in 2003-2004 (compiling a 15-7 record there). Anderson County if not mistaken had won five games in the four years before he arrived in 2005 (or maybe four in five, something like that..you get the idea).

Larry Mofield (Meade County)

In the land of big school football & having to go through the Big Three at that more years than not, he's as good as it gets. Meade has been to four region finals under hi eleven year tenure (region finals in '06, winning three of them ('07-lost to X in the semis, '13 & '14- lost to T). They made it to the 6A finals in '13 before losing to Scott County 21-14.

Long career. Sustained success at a school (Mason Co.) not exactly famous for football. Deep runs in the playoffs. Coached the Kentucky squad in the now-defunct KY/Tennessee All-Star game. Although I do not know him personally, seems to be a good guy. Finally, a valued contributor to this message board.

Good points about both. Very deserving candidates as well. I have always thought that Moefield gets as much out of the talent that he has as anyone. His teams are always tough, fundamentally sound, competitive, and improve significantly throughout a season.

Mark Peach (Anderson County)

He's coached two different teams to State Finals (Hancock County in '99 & Anderson County '11) who had never been that far before him, and might not even after he is gone. He's coached a Mr. Football ('99- Travis Atwell), as well as taking Dunbar to the State Semis before also becoming the HFC at Campbellsville University in 2003-2004 (compiling a 15-7 record there). Anderson County if not mistaken had won five games in the four years before he arrived in 2005 (or maybe four in five, something like that..you get the idea).

Larry Mofield (Meade County)

In the land of big school football & having to go through the Big Three at that more years than not, he's as good as it gets. Meade has been to four region finals under hi eleven year tenure (region finals in '06, winning three of them ('07-lost to X in the semis, '13 & '14- lost to T). They made it to the 6A finals in '13 before losing to Scott County 21-14.

Depends on what you think makes a good head coach. Other important things than winning ball games when it comes to being a head coach.

But Jim Matney has built an excellent program at JC

This post is confusing because, yes, there is more to the game than winning. However Matney wins a lot so........