KHSAA Board of Control approves Football Playoff Structure in 5A, 6A & RFP Ball

theguru

Observations on 6A (assuming I'm reading this correctly):

A chance for an all Louisville final in 2017. I can already hear the whining.

Dodge 'em must not have lobbied hard enough. The SK district is paired against the Trinity district in 2017.

That's better than playing the Male/Manual/St. X district.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 6A, there will not be an all-Jefferson County final over the next three years.

2016: D2 will play at D4 if they are equal seeds in the regional final.Then the McCracken/Male/StX winner would play at D4 in semis.

District 4 will host District 6 in 2017 if the final two are the same seed in regional. The winner would travel to McCracken/Male/St X survivor (D1/D3) for the semis.

2018: D1 will play D4 and if both are same seed in regional final D4 will host. Then that winner plays at D2/D3 survivor in semis.

Make your travel plans early :thumb:

D3 and D4 are on opposite sides of the thing in 2017. Assuming R1 will play R2 and R3 will play R4 every year.

D3 and D4 are on opposite sides of the thing in 2017. Assuming R1 will play R2 and R3 will play R4 every year.

Right you are!

Scott County and Fayette County managed to avoid ole D4 until WKU.

Why on earth did the KHSAA include playoff information dating to 2006? All that was needed was 2016-18. Hold on for a wild ride once Wyman takes over as president of the Board of Control. Eastern Jefferson County schools may have to travel to a neighboring state for their playoff games. He may try to move the Boys and Girls Sweet Sixteen to spacious Valley High School (that is if that location is still home to a viable high school).

Sorry I must just be confused, but what is the benefit or fairness behind this measure? What caused KHSAA to make this move right now?

The schools and coaches that whined and cried because it was unfair that geography paired them with the Bowling Green or Highlands district every year.

The schools and coaches that whined and cried because geography paired them with the Bowling Green or Highlands district every year.

So in 5A, am I correct to say that if this was in effect last year then BG would have had to travel to Highlands to play in the semi-finals and Pulaski County would have had to travel to Fern Creek to play in the semi-finals. Correct? I guess the Fern Creek and Pulaski Regions have quite a bit of pull to get this done. But maybe it's 6A that has more pull.

Edited by Purple88
Spelling

The BG people need to be welcomed to the club that Trinity and Highlands folks have been dealing with for years. When playoff time comes people will do whatever they can to play you as late as possible. In their minds it's better to make a playoff run and get slapped back to reality late then to get soundly beaten and eliminated early.

The BG people need to be welcomed to the club that Trinity and Highlands folks have been dealing with for years. When playoff time comes people will do whatever they can to play you as late as possible. In their minds it's better to make a playoff run and get slapped back to reality late then to get soundly beaten and eliminated early.

And here I thought this was about the city of Louisville needing more 6A state runnerup trophies in it.

So can someone please explain why there are 6 classes? It seems to me that you solve the logistical nightmares as teams would have closer proximities.

Is the whole point of competition to avoid playing the best? God bless America

So in 5A' date=' am I correct to say that if this was in effect last year then BG would have had to travel to Highlands to play in the semi-finals and Pulaski County would have had to travel to Fern Creek to play in the semi-finals. Correct? I guess the Fern Creek and Pulaski Regions have quite a bit of pull to get this done. But maybe it's 6A that has more pull.[/quote']

Highlands would have traveled to Bowling Green if this were in effect last year. That's because Bowling Green was in Region 1, and Highlands would've been competing in Region 2, as their district will be slotted into the next two years. But you are correct that Pulaski County would have visited Fern Creek.

:laugh:

Why are the football playoffs in a constant state of change? Other sports have realignment occasionally, but the football playoffs have seemed like they were a work in progress for the last 15 years or so.

If you ask me it is because of a handful of schools/coaches that continually complain about the Big 3. Everyone wants to avoid Male, T, and X until they get to the finals and then hope by some Miracle they don't face any of those teams in the finals. I think 5A getting sucked in is collateral damage in an attempt to create a cover story for 6A. This is just my opinion, I would love to hear what some coaches have to say about it.

If you ask me it is because of a handful of schools/coaches that continually complain about the Big 3. Everyone wants to avoid Male, T, and X until they get to the finals and then hope by some Miracle they don't face any of those teams in the finals. I think 5A getting sucked in is collateral damage in an attempt to create a cover story for 6A. This is just my opinion, I would love to hear what some coaches have to say about it.

While I am admittingly new to 6A football, I must be missing something. Dont all other sports and all othere divisions of football have set regions you must win every year to advance? How are the rest of 6A football avoiding them if they win the region? To me and my knowledge is only from being on here it seems the main argument is from the city of Louisville wanting two teams in the state finals. For some reason a lot of people on here feel 6A football should be treated differently from every other division and sport in the state.