KHSAA Board of Control approves Football Playoff Structure in 5A, 6A & RFP Ball

theguru

First question: The KHSAA decided to cross district and decided the pairings. WKY, Lexington and NKY wanted geographic regions. In a system of geographic regions, Louisville would never play each other in the finals. Cross districting allowed for them to play each other the one time you mentioned.

Second question: Yes. If that is what makes the most sense geographically.

In addition, if the state decided to use some type of ranking system to seed teams for the playoffs, I would be all for that. The issue is our state is too spread out in distance as a result of the 6 class system. But that is for a different thread.

Who is your source on the bolded? I'm curious how you could know that none of them wanted cross-dristricting.

It still seems unlikely to me that somehow the Big Three convinced the KHSAA to do this all for the sake of that one year possibility of an All-Louisville Final.

And I'm glad to see that we agree on the second question. A region of three districts and a region of one district would be ridiculous.

Edited by psychicscubadiver
Corrected

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who is your source on the bolded? I'm curious how you could know that none of them wanted cross-dristricting.

It still seems unlikely to me that somehow the Big Three convinced the KHSAA to do this all for the sake of that one year possibility of an All-Louisville Final.

And I'm glad to see that we agree on the second question. A region of three districts and a region of one district would be ridiculous.

Poor phrasing on my part. I don't have a source, but it has been well established on BGP threads. My thought is, Why would any of those other areas want to cross district? What would they gain other than higher travel costs and smaller gates?

To add to this, it is not that cut and dry. The KHSAA listens to all stake holders and then does what it wants. I don't know what Louisville wanted. I simply summized that cross districting was in the best interests of Louisville. It was the only way they could possibly get two teams to the finals. Geographic regions were probably in the best interests of the rest of the state.

Poor phrasing on my part. I don't have a source, but it has been well established on BGP threads. My thought is, Why would any of those other areas want to cross district? What would they gain other than higher travel costs and smaller gates?

Ah, I misunderstood you.

A greater number of Lexington schools would likely advance further. Also the non-Big Three Louisville schools would face softer competition.

Shrug. Those are examples, but honestly, I don't think anybody petitioned the KHSAA for this.

To add to this, it is not that cut and dry. The KHSAA listens to all stake holders and then does what it wants. I don't know what Louisville wanted. I simply summized that cross districting was in the best interests of Louisville. It was the only way they could possibly get two teams to the finals. Geographic regions were probably in the best interests of the rest of the state.

Chuckle, I do think this is a case of the KHSAA doing what it wants.

The one year chance might be intended as an odd sort of apology for the super district.

Edited by psychicscubadiver
Grammar