The Academy Awards

THE SHERIFF

I understand what Crhis Rock was doing and I'm a huge fan of his, but the racism jokes got a little old after the 50th one.

Oscars Ratings: Return Of Chris Rock Sees Show Hit 8-Year Low

Chris Rock came out swinging in one of the most anticipated opening monologues in years and took on the diversity controversy from the get-go at the 88th Academy Awards. Last night also saw Brie Larson win Best Actress, Leonardo DiCaprio snag Best Actor in his fifth nomination, Alejandro G. Iñárritu was named Best Director and Spotlight won Best Picture. With all that, the Oscars themselves did not have a great night ratingswise with a 23.1/37 in metered market results.

Declining to an 8-year low, that’s down 6% from the 24.6/39 that the ceremony got last year in early results from the 56 markets across the country. That 2015 Neil Patrick Harris hosted Oscars were matched with the 2011 Oscars for the third worst the Academy Awards has done in MM ratings since the last time Rock fronted the gig in 2005 – only 2009’s Hugh Jackman-hosted 23.3 and 2008’s Jon Stewart-hosted 21.9 were lower. Obviously, in the early results, last night’s show dipped below 2009 and close to 2008 numbers.

Oscars 2

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure the boycott had a lot to do with low ratings. I boycotted.

Are you being serious or saying that in jest?

We can be assured that going forward there will be African Americans nominated - deserving or not - for awards, despite the numbers showing African Americans are represented in roles and awards about equal to what the US demographics reflect. Like the Rooney Rule, I get the intent of it. But Oscar nominations do nothing to address larger institutional problems in Hollywood.

I am a Rock fan, but I was a bit disappointed in his overall performance. If he was in front of a microphone for 45 minutes, 40 minutes was about race, Oscars being white, diversity, etc. I thought it went borderline awkward and lacked originality. I was into it at first and then I was thinking, "ok, let's get on with a different joke."

I understand what Crhis Rock was doing and I'm a huge fan of his, but the racism jokes got a little old after the 50th one.

Oscars Ratings: Return Of Chris Rock Sees Show Hit 8-Year Low

Chris Rock came out swinging in one of the most anticipated opening monologues in years and took on the diversity controversy from the get-go at the 88th Academy Awards. Last night also saw Brie Larson win Best Actress, Leonardo DiCaprio snag Best Actor in his fifth nomination, Alejandro G. Iñárritu was named Best Director and Spotlight won Best Picture. With all that, the Oscars themselves did not have a great night ratingswise with a 23.1/37 in metered market results.

Declining to an 8-year low, that’s down 6% from the 24.6/39 that the ceremony got last year in early results from the 56 markets across the country. That 2015 Neil Patrick Harris hosted Oscars were matched with the 2011 Oscars for the third worst the Academy Awards has done in MM ratings since the last time Rock fronted the gig in 2005 – only 2009’s Hugh Jackman-hosted 23.3 and 2008’s Jon Stewart-hosted 21.9 were lower. Obviously, in the early results, last night’s show dipped below 2009 and close to 2008 numbers.

Oscars 216 TV Ratings Hit 7-Year Low With Chris Rock Return | Deadline

Most of his stand up routines deal with race. He HAD to come out like he did and I thought he delivered. He made fun of Hollywood, Jada Pinkett, Stacy Dash, Black Lives Matters, Hollywood fashion and I thought it was cleverly done. He had me rolling. I only watched the monologue though. I never watch the whole show. Waste of time. Twitter will tell me who won while I keep watching the game.

There were those who were either surprised or shocked at the nature of Rock's ongoing comments? REALLY?

I can see that there will be those who weren't "entertained". But those (not necessarily BGPers) who were surprised must have been living in a cave.

Most of his stand up routines deal with race. He HAD to come out like he did and I thought he delivered. He made fun of Hollywood, Jada Pinkett, Stacy Dash, Black Lives Matters, Hollywood fashion and I thought it was cleverly done. He had me rolling. I only watched the monologue though. I never watch the whole show. Waste of time. Twitter will tell me who won while I keep watching the game.

Agree on all points. He was an equal-opportunity offender. Comedy should sometimes make some uncomfortable.

Agree on all points. He was an equal-opportunity offender. Comedy should sometimes make some uncomfortable.

No doubt.

"They were protesting real things in the 50s and 60s. Not the Oscars. Hard to worry about who won Best Cinematographer when your grandma is swinging from a tree."

:lol2: :lol2:

I said damn, Chris is going in on everybody. :lol2:

Shaun King had a piece up on the New York Daily News website last night talking about how inappropriate Chris Rock's monologue was. :lol2: Gonna unfollow him right.......now.

The best thing he did was the pre-recorded bit in Compton where he was asking people if they'd seen the nominated movies. The host should do that every year in some place in the inner city or middle America just for fun and to make all those people in the audience see people not even know their movies.