Covington Holy Cross 50 Beechwood 34 (35th District Semifinals)

After the first three quarters I thought the score was gonna be about 40-25....HC made the adjustments that they needed to after the last meeting and it paid off. I said they would win by 12, but I was thinking more of a score like 62-50. But 16 is even better! Congrats Indians, see you Saturday night.

Beechwood just couldn't make a shot tonight. The future is bright in Ft Mitchell though!

I wouldn't say Beechwood's offensive style of play is much of an attraction to the young players considering their options. I would imagine the tempo would increase with more talent though.

When statman gets the numbers up, it will not be pretty. I will guess Beechwood shot less than 30% from the floor and it wasn't because of the Holy Cross defense. Beechwood had a lot of open looks and just could not get it to go in. I don't remember them hitting a 3. They were probably 0 for 7 or 8. It looked to me like Beechwood played very tight. They knew they could win this game and put too much pressure on themselves instead of relaxing and just playing. When they got down and had to play from behind, it made it too tough for their style of play to get back into the game. It was a consistent 5-10 point deficit the whole game till the very end and Beechwood had to take chances and foul.

Bezold is a heck of a player for Holy Cross. Schrand does a good job. The rest of the team is role players who do a good job filling their roles. Beechwood dared several Holy Cross players to shoot the ball. They gave them wide open shots outside 10 feet and the Holy Cross players would not take the shots. A few times those players drove it to the basket and still couldn't score. For the most part though they stayed disciplined, refused to take the bait to shoot and waited till Bezold or Schrand got a shot they liked.

Jefferson played well. He was probably Beechwood's leading scorer. He is extremely quick with great ball handling skills and very crafty taking it to the basket. I don't think he took an outside shot so I don't know if he can shoot the ball.

Tigers were 0-11 from 3...only time all year we didn't hit a 3 in a game. Only went 1-9 in seed game vs HC.

Beechwood played from behind vs Indians again. Not able to make shots this time.

Finished regular season with 5 in double figures vs Bluebirds. No players in double figures last night. The elder Toebbe and Jefferson led the Tigers with 9 apiece.

Didn't get a chance to look it up, but I believe Bezold and Schrand were a combined 10-13 from field last night. I imagine it was a lot worse 13 days ago.

This Beechwood team had a Great year. Losing about 80% of their scoring last year and had to have new players set up. Robbins went from only playing g a little last season to a starter who avg. 9 points a game. We knew JT Toebbe come score and rebound avg. 13+ and about 9 re per game. B Toebbe avg. about 12 and 5. And Jefferson was a great add late in the season. Coach Goetz ran the offense the way any team should, he leveraged the strength of each of his player and tried to mold that together. People say they played a slow down game, and they were just running their offense waiting for the best shot. Their defense was solid too. Most times they left player wide open just so they could use help defense on the scorers. This was all part of their game plan. If you read Beechwood's scouting report the players played it the way it was drawn up.

GREAT SEASON TIGERS. The best in years.

Joe Robbins and JT Toebbe, Good luck and you had a great senior year.

Good luck Saturday to the Indians.