Are recruiting combines money grabs?

All Tell

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nike Sparq and NUC are two of the recruiting combines that do the best at getting your money.

They tell the kids who aren't very good how good they are and of course the parents then have these wild expectations of their kid being a superstar. When in reality the kid is an average or below average HS player. Then the coach and parent problem begins on why ain't my kid playing. They said he was college material.

A scam.

Yes, most certainly.

Ask a college coach how much they get from these combines.

Nike Sparq and NUC are two of the recruiting combines that do the best at getting your money.

They tell the kids who aren't very good how good they are and of course the parents then have these wild expectations of their kid being a superstar. When in reality the kid is an average or below average HS player. Then the coach and parent problem begins on why ain't my kid playing. They said he was college material.

A scam.

Yes, most certainly.

Ask a college coach how much they get from these combines.

NUC certainly is. Nike Sparq and Under Armour are free camps to get in. The only cost is getting there..

YES THEY ARE, bottom line if you are taking your kid somewhere that you have to pay for him to run the 40 it is a bunch of crap. D1 coaches cant go to those things anyway. They have to have them on their campus. The problem is these parents think little johnnie is the greatest thing since slice bread because he scored 3 TD's against Pine Knob Middle School! If you are paying someone other than a University to go to a combine you are getting taken.

Parents are blind nothing tells them Jr. cant play in the SEC even when they don't get any offers they will blame his high school coach and say he didn't help him get a scholarship!! Even thou he is a 5'10 210 Guard. And for those that don't know that size wont get you a sniff in NAIA.

Unless you're a top tier player, a lot of the combines tell kids and parents what they already know...their player is average. Grades, body type, and film are the three main items needed, not necessarily these big name camps.

Depending on the camp/combine, finding out your son is average is a good thing and a necessary thing. Putting them up next to the highly recruited lets the opened minded parent see the weaknesses their player has. Nothing speaks louder than the results when pads are on, but since each team plays different levels of competition, some of these combines let a parent see how Juniors arm strength, footwork, and size and speed match up to those being recruited.

My brother has a step son who has D-1 height and weight and attended the Best of the Midwest combine in Indy yesterday. What was discovered is although he has the body measurements, he performed poorly in the tests (40, shuttle, etc) and was quite ineffective in the lineman 1 on 1's. $60.00 is not too much for some reality.

Best thing that ever happened to me was going to the Guru's (not BGP's Guru) camp and running a 40 yard dash for the first time. I was going into my freshman year of high school. In the lanes next to me were Shaun Alexander and Brian Maney who were heading into their senior year. Want to get smacked in the face by reality? Race those two. You learn very quickly that you aren't a DI athlete.

Depending on the camp/combine, finding out your son is average is a good thing and a necessary thing. Putting them up next to the highly recruited lets the opened minded parent see the weaknesses their player has. Nothing speaks louder than the results when pads are on, but since each team plays different levels of competition, some of these combines let a parent see how Juniors arm strength, footwork, and size and speed match up to those being recruited.

My brother has a step son who has D-1 height and weight and attended the Best of the Midwest combine in Indy yesterday. What was discovered is although he has the body measurements, he performed poorly in the tests (40, shuttle, etc) and was quite ineffective in the lineman 1 on 1's. $60.00 is not too much for some reality.

Just proved my point. $60 is not too much money, but I would be willing to bet the assessment of the player could have been free if the player would have asked his coaches.

What the player and family found out was not hidden on Friday nights or on film.

Best thing that ever happened to me was going to the Guru's (not BGP's Guru) camp and running a 40 yard dash for the first time. I was going into my freshman year of high school. In the lanes next to me were Shaun Alexander and Brian Maney who were heading into their senior year. Want to get smacked in the face by reality? Race those two. You learn very quickly that you aren't a DI athlete.

You might not have been a D1 athlete, but it certainly didn't help that you were a freshman running against top level seniors either...

I'd venture to say, whatever time you posted that day would've been significantly better three or four years later... Maybe still not nearly their level though.

You might not have been a D1 athlete, but it certainly didn't help that you were a freshman running against top level seniors either...

I'd venture to say, whatever time you posted that day would've been significantly better three or four years later... Maybe still not nearly their level though.

That is an affirmative.