Are recruiting combines money grabs?

All Tell

Just proved my point. $60 is not too much money, but I would be willing to bet the assessment of the player could have been free if the player would have asked his coaches.

What the player and family found out was not hidden on Friday nights or on film.

Not trying to be argumentative. Player arrived with coaches and other players as a group. Coaches must sugar coat in Ohio.

Combines measure athleticism more than true football talent, but you'll find most higher level college players exhibit a well above average athleticism. These are humbling events and often the cream of the crop stand out. If you don't stand out, work harder.

At Indy yesterday, NKY players: Kent Phelps ('17) from Painstville stood out. Parker Bisek ('18) of Ryle stood out.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just proved my point. $60 is not too much money, but I would be willing to bet the assessment of the player could have been free if the player would have asked his coaches.

What the player and family found out was not hidden on Friday nights or on film.

Not all high school coaches are good at gauging talent either or are not great at the recruiting process. Camps do you give you a idea at where you match up. But if you really want to go blow a college coach away.. Do something crazy like get a 28 on the ACT.

Sorry my friend they aren't looking for 28 ACT's on the football field in college. Through that 28 out on the 50 yard line and see how many games that wins you. Not trying to make you mad but that is reality! Maybe the coaches at Centre like that but the OVC and SEC might think its great that you got a 28 but if you cant run and don't have the size they could careless.

Not trying to be argumentative. Player arrived with coaches and other players as a group. Coaches must sugar coat in Ohio.

Combines measure athleticism more than true football talent, but you'll find most higher level college players exhibit a well above average athleticism. These are humbling events and often the cream of the crop stand out. If you don't stand out, work harder.

At Indy yesterday, NKY players: Kent Phelps ('17) from Painstville stood out. Parker Bisek ('18) of Ryle stood out.

I would agree with you. Thank you for the compliment on Parker. In my opinion, $60 is not a lot of $$ for the experience. Although I am happy with his effort, I realized at 6' 5" and 260 lbs, he is still undersized. Parker realized that as well. At 16 he has the time add size. What else was he gonna do on a day off of high school?? Play Xbox. $60 was well worth it : )

Depending on the camp/combine, finding out your son is average is a good thing and a necessary thing. Putting them up next to the highly recruited lets the opened minded parent see the weaknesses their player has. Nothing speaks louder than the results when pads are on, but since each team plays different levels of competition, some of these combines let a parent see how Juniors arm strength, footwork, and size and speed match up to those being recruited.

My brother has a step son who has D-1 height and weight and attended the Best of the Midwest combine in Indy yesterday. What was discovered is although he has the body measurements, he performed poorly in the tests (40, shuttle, etc) and was quite ineffective in the lineman 1 on 1's. $60.00 is not too much for some reality.

And I would add the opportunity to meet a slew of coaches from other levels: FCS, NAIA, Div 2 & 3. I'm a big advocate of University camps that are well attended by other level coaches. Your son should shake the hand of every coach at every level at camps end.

You never know the good that can come from it down the road? Then follow up with video and thank you email for their time at the camp. Ask them at the camp what is their preferred communication style whether email or phone call, both? And here's the key....FOLLOW UP!!!

Unless your son is a freak athlete and would rank in the top 10 agility and speed wise I don't see the NUC type camps as a benefit. Target your region and college levels objectively and if there's a fit you will hear from the appropriate schools.

RAM has provided invaluable info in the recruiting thread....if you haven't been through and absorbed it please do!

http://bluegrasspreps.com/college-recruiting/

:thumb: and thanks be to RAM...

i have a son who will get the opportunity to play D1. His offers came from the school's camp not the combines. We went to the free combines to measure his athleticism against other kids in a big pond. Bottom line is D1 schools want to see him in person. He was told more than once they didn't expect to him to actually be 6 3 barefooted. I think schools take notice of the combine results but you can't beat film and a personal appearance.

I recommend the 'paid combines' to our kids ONLY if they can be the best at their position.

Otherwise, the only 'value' is, as mentioned earlier, to give all those kids who think they're D1-ability (maybe 25% of kids playing HS football!!?) a wake-up call as to how they're NOT really D1 ability compared to kids from a several-states area.

I can tell you this...I watched 1 kid I'm close to go from a few offers before a combine to offers from UK, UofL+SC the week after. The next week Ohio St+Fla showed up at school.

Fast forward to this past week. I watched another kid I know well go from an offer to Marshall before a combine (where he won MVP) to receiving offers from WVU+Fla St yesterday!

I'm not saying they aren't money makers but for extremely talented kids from areas without a lot of exposure it's been huge for those two!

I'd have to go back and look at which combines they were but one was in Charlotte the other in Atlanta. I know Kent Phelps just had a good showing in Indy so we'll see what comes of that.

Not neccisarly. Both of those kids had offers from smaller D1 schools like Marahall (close to home). It wasn't until they both went to the combines and dominated that the big programs came knocking like SEC, Big 12, ACC. It changed both of their lives.

I think it's hard to stereotype because a combine in some places in KY can help kids that might not be noticed to get noticed by smaller in state Universities. If you're from areas like these 2 kids that aren't football rich recruiting areas and dominate at a place like Atlanta then it opens doors that wouldn't be open. In a nutshell I think each combine is different and each kid is different.