Who is winning Mr. Basketball

Amen to First on his comments about Will Hager. If he didnt have Trevon and Malik with him he could EASILY score 25 per game.. Sort of like the Anthony Davis situation at UK a few years back...having the highest scoring avg does NOT make you the best player. Hager is one of the hardest players to guard st the HS level i have ever seen. As far as Blevins being the best Sr on 12th....ge is a very good player but not even close to Hager IMO. As far as Trevon being Mercers best as noted by another post, he is really really good, and could be cosidered the best soph in Ky. He and Will know they each carry a certain load every game and they are both fearless out there. Point being that if Will isnt All State there is something very wrong with the system of selection

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amen to First on his comments about Will Hager. If he didnt have Trevon and Malik with him he could EASILY score 25 per game.. Sort of like the Anthony Davis situation at UK a few years back...having the highest scoring avg does NOT make you the best player. Hager is one of the hardest players to guard st the HS level i have ever seen. As far as Blevins being the best Sr on 12th....ge is a very good player but not even close to Hager IMO. As far as Trevon being Mercers best as noted by another post, he is really really good, and could be cosidered the best soph in Ky. He and Will know they each carry a certain load every game and they are both fearless out there. Point being that if Will isnt All State there is something very wrong with the system of selection

I'll be surprised if Hager and Faulkner aren't both All State.

The real question is what is the the true criteria for Mr. Basketball? Is it one or two games, one season, or a collective career?

My opinion is that it would be which player has represented the "state of Kentucky" best as a whole and not just one season. 4 years of Team success, strength of schedule, other teammates success, and lastly individual success.

Team Success:

Taylor County

2012-2013 16-15 District Champs

2013-2014 26-7 District Champs / Region SF

2014-2015 28-5 District Champs / Region Champs

Owen County

2012-2013 20-10 District Champs

2013-2014 18-10 District Champs

2014-2015 26-6 District Champs / Region SF

Strength of Schedule (2015-2016)

Taylor County

Record of Opponents

Wins 141-93

Losses 120-33

Total 261-125 (63%)

Owen County

Record of Opponents

Wins 196-202

Losses 52-19

Totals 248-221 (53%)

I will not post the team schedules because you can look for yourself on KHSAA, but their is very little comparison to the strength of the schedule this season. Plus Taylor still has Murray, Dunbar, and Hoptown left on their schedule. It matters a lot on whom you are putting the numbers up against.

Other players success. I am not sure who Carson has played with over his career, but Goodin has played with Caleb Wiggington (2002 point career), Brandon Berry (1000 point scorer), Cameron Morgeson (1000 point scorer), David Sloan (Surpassed 1000 points a few weeks ago), and Ezra Oliver (on pace to score 1000 points). Seems Goodin would have to pass the ball and share a lot of scoring for these players to achieve this success.

Also would like to mention that Goodin led his team to Rupp Arena and the Sweet 16 last season while being the only Junior on the 1st team All State.

Owen County vs. Taylor County Head to Head (Owen won by 12)

Goodin 30p 6r

Williams 28p 11r

Anyone that saw that game knows Williams wasn't the reason they won that game and Goodin wasn't the reason they lost. McDonald going 5-5 on 3s in the first half was the difference.

You be the judge on who fits the criteria of Kentucky's MR. Basketball.

Criteria is up to each individual voter.

More factors into the discussion:

Owen County is 21-3 and came into the season as arguably a top 20 team. They have defeated South Laurel, Henry Clay and Taylor County. They have lost to Trinity, Ballard and Murray. All respectable teams. They have South Oldham, North Laurel and Oldham County remaining in their schedule. Their leader is Carson Williams.

Taylor County is 12-7 and began the season ranked no lower than #2 across the state. They have defeated Perry County Central, North Hardin, Bryan Station and South Laurel. They have lost to in state teams Adair County, Central, Owen County, CovCath and Doss. They have remaining games against Murray, Hoptown and Dunbar. All respectable teams. Their leader is Quentin Goodin.

After watching them both at KOB Williams is the best all around player in the Mr. Basketball race. He does more for his team than anyone I've seen in a while. If he take Owen Co. to the state tourney i think he has it locked. Should be interesting to see how the next few weeks play out.

I've watched a lot of basketball over the state of Kentucky and have seen a lot of good players. If I had a say so in the voting, I would have to vote for Mr. Carson Williams of Owen County. This guy is a beast. He can score anytime, anywhere. Very good on and off of the court. High academics.

Darius Williams- Dunbar

James Boone-Murray

Tyler Sharpe- Bullitt East

Ben Weyer-Newport Central Catholic

Isaiah Tisdale-Henry Clay

Alex Cook- Male

Connor McKim- St. Xavier

Tyrik Edwards- Christian County

Just to name a few of the seniors playing very good basketball.

The real question is what is the the true criteria for Mr. Basketball? Is it one or two games, one season, or a collective career?

My opinion is that it would be which player has represented the "state of Kentucky" best as a whole and not just one season. 4 years of Team success, strength of schedule, other teammates success, and lastly individual success.

Team Success:

Taylor County

2012-2013 16-15 District Champs

2013-2014 26-7 District Champs / Region SF

2014-2015 28-5 District Champs / Region Champs

Owen County

2012-2013 20-10 District Champs

2013-2014 18-10 District Champs

2014-2015 26-6 District Champs / Region SF

Strength of Schedule (2015-2016)

Taylor County

Record of Opponents

Wins 141-93

Losses 120-33

Total 261-125 (63%)

Owen County

Record of Opponents

Wins 196-202

Losses 52-19

Totals 248-221 (53%)

I will not post the team schedules because you can look for yourself on KHSAA, but their is very little comparison to the strength of the schedule this season. Plus Taylor still has Murray, Dunbar, and Hoptown left on their schedule. It matters a lot on whom you are putting the numbers up against.

Other players success. I am not sure who Carson has played with over his career, but Goodin has played with Caleb Wiggington (2002 point career), Brandon Berry (1000 point scorer), Cameron Morgeson (1000 point scorer), David Sloan (Surpassed 1000 points a few weeks ago), and Ezra Oliver (on pace to score 1000 points). Seems Goodin would have to pass the ball and share a lot of scoring for these players to achieve this success.

Also would like to mention that Goodin led his team to Rupp Arena and the Sweet 16 last season while being the only Junior on the 1st team All State.

Owen County vs. Taylor County Head to Head (Owen won by 12)

Goodin 30p 6r

Williams 28p 11r

Anyone that saw that game knows Williams wasn't the reason they won that game and Goodin wasn't the reason they lost. McDonald going 5-5 on 3s in the first half was the difference.

You be the judge on who fits the criteria of Kentucky's MR. Basketball.

Not that it's a big deal, but when Taylor and Owen played head-To-head at KOB Williams finished with 28 p / 11 r / 8 a. Pretty impressive stat line in a high profile game when the two leading Mr. Basketball candidates faced each other.

It will come down to Goodin and Williams but I think overall Q is the best player in the state and deserves the award. Carson would be an excellent choice as well but I fear Q won't get the votes he should because of politics.

I do think Ben Weyer is a legit candidate as well. His numbers tell everyone all they need to know.

Politics? Say it ain't so. I just can't believe that (tongue in cheek, lol, etc). It's more political than most anything I know and the decision is made by a small group of totally biased people.