Who is winning Mr. Basketball

I can tell you that after personally broadcasting over 100 games and seeing a lot of teams that no one is better than Carson Williams of Owen County. Roll the footage!!!

I do think Ben Weyer deserves close attention as we head into the postseason.

Will Hager is really good for Mercer too.

Q gets mentioned a lot but no disrespect to any of these guys... Carson is on another level.

I agre and have said all along that he's deserving. 4 to 6 weeks ago, I didn't think he would have enough votes. I sense that the tide is changing.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on the flyers being sent out to promote team's players for post season awards: There's nothing new about that. Schools have been doing that for a LONG time. In 1983 our school had a player who we felt was deserving of first team All State and I sent photos, letters and stats to every school in the state. And it worked as he was named first team All State. I did the same thing in 1990 with another player from our team and he was named first team as well.

Our school also received many letters and info every year from other schools doing the same thing for their kids that they deemed worthy players. Letters and brochures promoting players for votes has always been common. Sometimes you have to toot your own horn, particularly if you're a small school in a remote area of the state like our school.

My take on the flyers being sent out to promote team's players for post season awards: There's nothing new about that. Schools have been doing that for a LONG time. In 1983 our school had a player who we felt was deserving of first team All State and I sent photos, letters and stats to every school in the state. And it worked as he was named first team All State. I did the same thing in 1990 with another player from our team and he was named first team as well.

Our school also received many letters and info every year from other schools doing the same thing for their kids that they deemed worthy players. Letters and brochures promoting players for votes has always been common. Sometimes you have to toot your own horn, particularly if you're a small school in a remote area of the state like our school.

You having done this in the 80's and 90's brings up an interesting contrast. Whether I agree with tooting one's own horn or not, I can see where that would have been "needed" more so then than in today's age of blogs, social media and recruiting services/analysts. Let's face it. If a kid is legitimately worthy of Mr. Basketball consideration, anyone that might have a vote already knows as much about them as they do Tyler Ulis.

You having done this in the 80's and 90's brings up an interesting contrast. Whether I agree with tooting one's own horn or not, I can see where that would have been "needed" more so then than in today's age of blogs, social media and recruiting services/analysts. Let's face it. If a kid is legitimately worthy of Mr. Basketball consideration, anyone that might have a vote already knows as much about them as they do Tyler Ulis.

But yet every year in every sport someone was snubbed when these teams come out every season.

I can tell you that after personally broadcasting over 100 games and seeing a lot of teams that no one is better than Carson Williams of Owen County. Roll the footage!!!

I do think Ben Weyer deserves close attention as we head into the postseason