Who is winning Mr. Basketball

It will come down to Goodin and Williams but I think overall Q is the best player in the state and deserves the award. Carson would be an excellent choice as well but I fear Q won't get the votes he should because of politics.

Q was the front runner and I think Taylor County's subpar season to date has hurt his chances way more than politics.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is good, no doubt, and a key part of Mercer Co's success. I just haven't ever seen anything to tell me he's a top 10 player in the state, and if being a top 10 player in the state is questionable, you aren't Mr Basketball.

Doesn't mean he isn't good, just not the best.

I have no problem with your position as it relates to Mr. Basketball. That's not my contention. I even started by saying there are 2 guys head and shoulders above the rest. I took issue with the statement that he wasn't All-State worthy. If you take everything in context with what this kid has done in the past and then what he's doing to get his team where it is this year, I just can't see that.

Q was the front runner and I think Taylor County's subpar season to date has hurt his chances way more than politics.

They have won 6-of-7. It'll be interesting to see how they do vs. Dunbar on February 13th.

As for this debate, I think Mason Faulkner is deserving but Williams and Goodin are heavily favored.

They have won 6-of-7. It'll be interesting to see how they do vs. Dunbar on February 13th.

As for this debate, I think Mason Faulkner is deserving but Williams and Goodin are heavily favored.

They've played great as of late but they were preseason #1 or #2 in most polls and fell out of the rankings. That allowed Carson to gain some momentum which I think hurt Q's chances. Keep in mind when they met head to head Owen County defeated Taylor County at the KOB. By 12. Carson picked up steam after that game.

Agreed on Faulkner. He is deserving.

First I would like to see a thread on who would win each region POY, then I can have a better picture of will even be eligible.

Personally I think Gooden wins it although Williams would be deserving as well. Q has the higher ceiling at the next level which may get him the votes he needs.

While I think Goodin ultimately wins it, how many voters will focus on that 40 point beat down they took vs CovCath while Q was scoring about 6 points? That performance, in that high profile game, won't help him.

And again, don't forget the high profile game at KOB against Owen County in which Taylor County lost by 12 to Owen County. I know multiple voters took notice of that as well.

Taylor Co is a completely different team now and IMO wouldn't lose to Owen Co or Covcath if the games were played today.

I personally could care less if Q or Carson wins it (both great kids and deserving) but if the award is for the best player in the state, I don't see how anyone can argue against Q.

Taylor Co is a completely different team now and IMO wouldn't lose to Owen Co or Covcath if the games were played today.

I personally could care less if Q or Carson wins it (both great kids and deserving) but if the award is for the best player in the state, I don't see how anyone can argue against Q.

No argument that they are playing better now. With their preseason hype their overall body of work is hurting his chances. I'm not sure he will be able to recover from their fall from the top of the rankings.

We all know that the best player in the state doesn't always win the award. Look at football and Damien Harris as an example.

I really have a hard time voting for players who don't play as hard as they can at all times, having watched Carson I will say that he exhibits every trait you want in a Mr. Basketball. Not only the best player on the floor, but the hardest worker. Oh by the way great student. Goodin has a high ceiling no doubt but have watched him take plays off, have moments where it looks like he don't care aka Cov Cath game. I know I am biased but hands down Carson's to lose, making state tournament should not matter in my opinion.

Carson Williams will win it IMO. I think Goodin is the best player, but I feel that the key votes in rural KY will go Carson's way. Owen County's following is huge, and it brings an excitement about who they're coming to see. Even though Taylor Co. probably wins the region and are peaking at the right time (with the addition of Gaines), I think early on the hype factor hurt them more than anything with the preseason #1 rankings (and them dropping a bunch of games without Gaines). If they were preseason #20, then I believe Q would be the front-runner right now.

Carson Williams will win it IMO. I think Goodin is the best player, but I feel that the key votes in rural KY will go Carson's way. Owen County's following is huge, and it brings an excitement about who they're coming to see. Even though Taylor Co. probably wins the region and are peaking at the right time (with the addition of Gaines), I think early on the hype factor hurt them more than anything with the preseason #1 rankings (and them dropping a bunch of games without Gaines). If they were preseason #20, then I believe Q would be the front-runner right now.

Agree 1000%. This is my logic right now.

The real question is what is the the true criteria for Mr. Basketball? Is it one or two games, one season, or a collective career?

My opinion is that it would be which player has represented the "state of Kentucky" best as a whole and not just one season. 4 years of Team success, strength of schedule, other teammates success, and lastly individual success.

Team Success:

Taylor County

2012-2013 16-15 District Champs

2013-2014 26-7 District Champs / Region SF

2014-2015 28-5 District Champs / Region Champs

Owen County

2012-2013 20-10 District Champs

2013-2014 18-10 District Champs

2014-2015 26-6 District Champs / Region SF

Strength of Schedule (2015-2016)

Taylor County

Record of Opponents

Wins 141-93

Losses 120-33

Total 261-125 (63%)

Owen County

Record of Opponents

Wins 196-202

Losses 52-19

Totals 248-221 (53%)

I will not post the team schedules because you can look for yourself on KHSAA, but their is very little comparison to the strength of the schedule this season. Plus Taylor still has Murray, Dunbar, and Hoptown left on their schedule. It matters a lot on whom you are putting the numbers up against.

Other players success. I am not sure who Carson has played with over his career, but Goodin has played with Caleb Wiggington (2002 point career), Brandon Berry (1000 point scorer), Cameron Morgeson (1000 point scorer), David Sloan (Surpassed 1000 points a few weeks ago), and Ezra Oliver (on pace to score 1000 points). Seems Goodin would have to pass the ball and share a lot of scoring for these players to achieve this success.

Also would like to mention that Goodin led his team to Rupp Arena and the Sweet 16 last season while being the only Junior on the 1st team All State.

Owen County vs. Taylor County Head to Head (Owen won by 12)

Goodin 30p 6r

Williams 28p 11r

Anyone that saw that game knows Williams wasn't the reason they won that game and Goodin wasn't the reason they lost. McDonald going 5-5 on 3s in the first half was the difference.

You be the judge on who fits the criteria of Kentucky's MR. Basketball.

Edited by Iknowwhoyouare
grammar