KFC Nashville Chicken

NEERFAN

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Color me dumb, but I thought we already had hot chicken in the form of wings? Kinda universal.

Hot chicken in itself sounds fine, if it's about spices and such grilled into the chicken or breaded in. If not, and I want that give me some Tabasco and I'll be okay. Pouring hot sauce over my chicken and calling it hot chicken won't do it for me. Kinda a excuse to sell you bad chicken but very hot so you won't notice.

KFC had like 456 herbs and spices that went into each batch, right? Stick with that model and do the best fried chicken around. It built an empire, seems like a decent plan.

On the flip side though, I understand marketing. Give them want they want. Unfortunately, what they want will change again in 7 minutes.

Color me dumb, but I thought we already had hot chicken in the form of wings? Kinda universal.

Hot chicken in itself sounds fine, if it's about spices and such grilled into the chicken or breaded in. If not, and I want that give me some Tabasco and I'll be okay. Pouring hot sauce over my chicken and calling it hot chicken won't do it for me. Kinda a excuse to sell you bad chicken but very hot so you won't notice.

Prince's Chicken Shack has been doing their thing in Nashville since the 40s. I think I read somewhere that the original 'Buffalo wing' came about some time in the 60s.

They're just different animals. I think Buffalo sauce is a little more ubiquitous, and is probably a little more universally palatable, but Nashville hot chicken is more than just fried chicken doused in Tabasco.

Buffalo wings take a cheap piece of meat (the wing) and coats it with a really good sauce, whereas hot chicken uses a good piece of meat (thighs or breasts) spicy dredge/breading, fries it, and then it's sauced more with spicy sauce. There's some variety to the different 'hot chicken' sauces as well. Some are a little more Cajun in taste, and some are a little more straight heat.

Prince's Chicken Shack has been doing their thing in Nashville since the 40s. I think I read somewhere that the original 'Buffalo wing' came about some time in the 60s.

They're just different animals. I think Buffalo sauce is a little more ubiquitous, and is probably a little more universally palatable, but Nashville hot chicken is more than just fried chicken doused in Tabasco.

Buffalo wings take a cheap piece of meat (the wing) and coats it with a really good sauce, whereas hot chicken uses a good piece of meat (thighs or breasts) spicy dredge/breading, fries it, and then it's sauced more with spicy sauce. There's some variety to the different 'hot chicken' sauces as well. Some are a little more Cajun in taste, and some are a little more straight heat.

^Prince's "heat" is baked into the chicken with the spices. It's not a sauce.

Easy, fellas. If they bake it in, it's kinda what I already stated. That's good stuff.

You guys seem to know Nashville more than I

Call me old school, but I wish KFC would stop adding things to their menu and get the original right.

Over 50% of the time when going through the drive-thru and ordering a 5 piece meal of "Original Recipe", they invariably ask if Crispy is OK.

No, it's not OK. I want original. To me Original should be the staple that they have all of the time. This compares to Subway not having white bread and asking you if wheat is ok. NO, IT'S NOT OK!!! Stick to what you do best!!!

Regardless of how this Nashville thing goes over, it will probably be gone next year at this time.

@Mustang, I will go with you, I ONLY want the Extra Crispy.

I've been to Nashville a trillion times, when you go to WKU it is sort of the thing to do, and I've had hot chicken several times. It is good, not great, and I'm VERY skeptical that KFC (which I love, by the way) can replicate it.

If you haven't been to Prince's in Nashville, hit it on your next visit.

@Mustang, I will go with you, I ONLY want the Extra Crispy.

I've been to Nashville a trillion times, when you go to WKU it is sort of the thing to do, and I've had hot chicken several times. It is good, not great, and I'm VERY skeptical that KFC (which I love, by the way) can replicate it.

If you haven't been to Prince's in Nashville, hit it on your next visit.

You will not find a more diverse crowd than you will at Prince's.

Just had the KFC Nashville tenders for lunch. I'm not a KFC guy (much prefer Lee's), so I wasn't expecting much.

The flavor was good, brought a little late burn, without blasting the tongue; the way I like spicy food. The strips were borderline small & overcooked, thus more toward the chewy side than tender. I give it a B minus.