Division 2 Championship: Belfry 14 South Oldham 8

ATLCat

I agree. Both great programs. Just don't agree with comments like that. You guys have a chance to lay that claim just like we did. We took it. I'm sure the kids will settle it in high school.

Indeed they will....but you seriously need to relax on here. It's not that big of a deal if someone thinks their team is better than yours. It's what fans do.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you want to have a leg to stand on, play the tournament! Until then boast your little league conference title... Just don't claim to be the man until you balls up and play in the tournament.

Btw, South Oldham HS 9-1. Elizabethtown HS 10-0, Belfry HS 9-1. Looks like the KMSFA is a pretty darn good indicator and as close to KHSAA as it gets.

Last time I checked which was just a few minutes ago South Oldham is 8-2, not that it matters. Also, this group of seniors were not even conference champs when they were 8th graders but they are 9-1 so not sure what kind of indicator that is. And Lexington Catholic middle school team will not be the same kids in High School.

If you want to have a leg to stand on, play the tournament! Until then boast your little league conference title... Just don't claim to be the man until you balls up and play in the tournament.

Btw, South Oldham HS 9-1. Elizabethtown HS 10-0, Belfry HS 9-1. Looks like the KMSFA is a pretty darn good indicator and as close to KHSAA as it gets.

Nobody said it is an indicator of anything. The implication is that a KYMFSA title is no different than a Salt River Conference title no matter how hard you try to spin it. Neither title is a KHSAA sanctioned state title and those are the ones that matter the most.

Nobody said it is an indicator of anything. The implication is that a KYMFSA title is no different than a Salt River Conference title no matter how hard you try to spin it. Neither title is a KHSAA sanctioned state title and those are the ones that matter the most.

I disagree with you here. The KHSAA is working with and implementing rules into the KYMSFA. I may be totally wrong, but I see that bond getting tighter with time. There is a very big difference in the KYMSFA state tournament and the Salt River tournament. Competition is much stiffer. The best of the best. I'm not knocking Boyle, they're a very good football team. With that said, I would say at least 10 teams in the KYMSFA tournament could go undefeated with their schedule.

It's always ironic how you mention this about Boyle County and totally ignore it when there are folks in Mercer County who have done the exact same thing. And I have zero issues with hold backs at any school but you always seem to mention this about this group of kids at Boyle County while at the same time cheering on hold backs that are currently student athletes at Mercer County.

You have a guy on here from Boyle talking smack to the Belfry people about how they would beat them and getting mad when somebody says something back. Bragging about how they dominated their conference with a team way older than everybody else. Holdbacks won't matter in High school and if this group wins state in high school they should be congratulated. In my opinion it matters in middle school if you have a ton of holdbacks. Being humble and lot less arrogant would go a long way.

1.) I didn't brag and I didn't talk smack. It was an opinion and I said as much.

2.) I know my teams roster and their ages.

We are a DII school with far less students than most of our conference schools. And we have rolled everyone by margins that could have EASILY been MUCH worse.

Get used to it.

1.) I didn't brag and I didn't talk smack. It was an opinion and I said as much.

2.) I know my teams roster and their ages.

We are a DII school with far less students than most of our conference schools. And we have rolled everyone by margins that could have EASILY been MUCH worse.

Get used to it.

Ha ha again your not being arrogant or talking smack right? Read your last two sentences.

As someone who has been around the KYMSFA or KMSFA since its inception let me comment on some of the points in this thread.

KMSFA vs. KHSAA

The legistlature wanted KHSAA to get more involved with middle school sports before KMSFA came about. But with lots on their plate it was a challenge. KMSFA came about, in part, when some coaches saw that there was substancial differences in how middle school football was run in different parts of the state. One goals was to bring some level of standardardization to sport at the middle school level. Its membership was voluntary and is voluntary to this day. Some parts of the state have pre-prep level programs that are well established and these have not seen a need to formally join the organization - and that is fine. Examples are the Northern Kentucky leagues and the CCSA in Louisville.

When the tournament started up KMSFA did establish age standards that included certified rosters. Having an enforced age standard was an important step. Unfortunately, even with the standard and specific, reviewed, approved paperwork there have been DQs in past years when the standards were not followed.

When KHSAA was missioned formally to take a formal oversight role. This does not mean that KHSAA and KMSFA are competing organizations. For the most part some of the rules and regulations of KMSFA - for the schools that voluntarily joined - was an intermediate step. Next year the KHSAA rules will be in force and should be enforeced - by the KHSAA. The organizations have communication channels are working together in various areas. But starting next year all middle school sports must go by the KHSAA rules. Thus there will be a statewide common standard for some of the more controversial issues - mainly the question of age limits and 'hold backs'. That will apply if a school is member of KMSFA or not.

'Hold-backs'

In Kentucky families can choose to start their child off in first grade when they are only five (5) years old. If they do and the child stays on track the child could graduate when they are only 17. Some families do start their kids when they are only 5, many wait until they are 6 and when the child will be 18 when they graduate. Some states have raised the minimum starting age to enter first grade to 6 years old as of September 1. Studies have shown kids, and especially boys, do better in school in general when they have the additional year to be more mature - acedemically, emotionally and, yes, they will also be more mature physically - especially during the growth spurt years that are typically in MS.

These decisions should be family-oriented decisions. And most families would know if there benefit, regardless of the physical/athletic angle, to do this before MS. But starting next year a MS student who is 'held-back' will not be eligible for sports during the hold-back year. So holding-back purely for physical/athletic reasons should reduce.

When former NFL players would give insight into the recruiting process to MS level parents at KMSFA events some parents would approach them and ask if it was good thing to do. To be honest this confounded the speaker(s). And I know this from questions from these former NFL players. The issue of holding-back seems to be somewhat unique to Kentucky. Part of that may be the minimum age requirements as mentioned above.

Probably everyone knows of individual families who have held back a student purely for athletic reasons. I would not judge them on that action. Its a family issue at the individual level. Some of know of more broad 'holding-back'. It has happened. This is more bothersome. But with the new KHSAA rules next year this will likely, or should, come to an end.

If you kid needs another year to mature - not just physically - then families should do it. But they should make that evaluation at the younger levels. Doing it in MS can stigmatize kids If they started when they are 5 its definitely something to think about. But in any case do it for the right reasons.

The final physical make-up of student athletes is almost all genetically driven. If mom and dad are 5' then holding a kid back is not going to make them into a D1 scholarship linebacker - even if they a bit bigger in MS.

I disagree with you here. The KHSAA is working with and implementing rules into the KYMSFA. I may be totally wrong, but I see that bond getting tighter with time. There is a very big difference in the KYMSFA state tournament and the Salt River tournament. Competition is much stiffer. The best of the best. I'm not knocking Boyle, they're a very good football team. With that said, I would say at least 10 teams in the KYMSFA tournament could go undefeated with their schedule.

The competition is stiffer but one middle school trophy is no different than another middle school trophy. That's one of my points. Another point is that there have been some schools who have had success in the Salt River Conference and the KYMFSA but not so much success when they have gotten to high school. Can it be an indicator of future success? Sure, but programs like Northern and Southern Pulaski, Belfry, Johnson County, Bowling Green and Elizabethtown are examples of football programs that will have future success because they are all above average programs. The KYMFSA will have nothing to do with how good they are in high school and that is what I am saying.

The KYMFSA will have nothing to do with how good they are in high school and that is what I am saying.

I will say that if you go back and review when BCMS has won the Salt River Conference football title it has directly correlated to high school state titles. It's actually pretty amazing.

PP is correct. Success in the tournament is a result, not necessarily a cause. KMSFA and the end of season tournament is a measuring stick. In fact one of the philosophies of the tournament was to allow teams that may not be tested by their own local competition to test themselves against a broader array of state-wide teams. Maybe teams that participate learn some things they did not know going in and apply them the next year. But its hard to tell if that happens or has an impact.

The correlation of a good group of kids who stay together is even evident in the tournament itself. The winners of the KMSFA 7th grade have always repeated as 8th grade champions the following year. Johnson Central held on this year to keep that streak going.