11) Phelps - David Jones

12) Sheldon Clark - Chester McCoy

13) Valley - Crad Jaggers

14) Webster County - Zach LaGrange

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per KHSAA Open Jobs, Hopkins Co. Central is open......again.

Disappointing. I thought Decker seemed to really improve them this season, at least in relation to where they had been. They won two games and had a few competitive losses. Hopefully they'll find someone who can stick, although they've never had much success.

Disappointing. I thought Decker seemed to really improve them this season, at least in relation to where they had been. They won two games and had a few competitive losses. Hopefully they'll find someone who can stick, although they've never had much success.

Agreed on all.

I think he is still living in Leitchfield (Grayson County). I'd say that hour and some change, 75 mile drive down the WK and Pennyrile Parkways was getting old.

Agreed on all.

I think he is still living in Leitchfield (Grayson County). I'd say that hour and some change, 75 mile drive down the WK and Pennyrile Parkways was getting old.

That seems to be something that I'm hearing more and more of. Coach at one school, and live a decent distance away. Is this simply because of a lack of teaching openings? It would take a really nice pay increase for me to justify that drive, if I was a coach. Or doing anything. I value my time far too much to spend vast amounts of it in my car.

That seems to be something that I'm hearing more and more of. Coach at one school, and live a decent distance away. Is this simply because of a lack of teaching openings? It would take a really nice pay increase for me to justify that drive, if I was a coach. Or doing anything. I value my time far too much to spend vast amounts of it in my car.

From what I know, it's usually a couple things:

1) In today's time, a lot of coaches/families are just reluctant to relocate for a shot in the dark & zero commitment from the schools end (there are no contracts for these jobs as you know). Just a whole lot of unknown variables today for a family to put their home up to hopefully sale, only to take a chance on buying another in a town hoping all doesn't crash and burn (renting is always a possibility, but there are many wives/moms out there in the family stages of their lives looking to live out of a suit case, especially when there usually isn't much of, if any, financial incentive).

1A) Wife. Back in the day(s), many times the wives were still homemakers and/or weren't really in any kind of career field. The husband was by far the primary bread winner, so when he said jump, the wives and kids said how high. Not exactly the case anymore (better world for it). If they have a great job, career, solid financially....many times more than their husband....moving isn't exactly an option for her.

I had heard the guy from Somerset did indeed drive that every day, which is about 2 hours one way. I'm not sure about the situation with Davidson in 15, but I had heard that Middleton was in the building, not sure what he was doing though. I also seem to think that after he was fired, that he chose to stay at the school and just not coach.

I don't know what it would take to win at Caverna, but I'd really like for someone to be able to find out.

Middleton was in the building but he was an aide not a certfied teacher. I'm suprised Davidson didn't stay, or at least wait until he got another HC job before leaving.

Caverna much like 95% of the schools in the state need full support in order to be success. Hiring a coach and have him drive 2 hours one way to work isn't going to be successful. Not fielding a little league program isn't going to be successful. The Adminstration has to want a successful football program and has to operate as such. It will also take a coach to fully invest and be there to build from the ground up. That's a coach getting the little league together, building the middle school, and getting a weight program at the high school.

Totally agree.

I value my time far too much to spend vast amounts of it in my car.

In some cases, assistant pay and head pay aren't too far off (neither are much). You can be a head coach, drive an hour, and deal with all the head coach headaches, or you can stay home, be an assistant and not deal with those headaches, all while making similar money. Not a tough decision for many folks.

Letcher Central filled. Hired Junior Matthews. Has been head middle school coach for 4 years.

Which middle school? Is there just one middle school in Letcher County? I was thinking that Neon, Letcher, Whitesburg, etc. all had middle schools.

Excellent post Harry!!!!!!!!! The way admins are today you could be fired in 2 or 4 years and now you have to move your family again. It is a shame but that is what the moron admins have created.

I'm not going to entirely put it on high school admins. That's coaching now, on all levels and in all sports. The fact that we are an instant gratification society (for better or for worse) had led to the "win now" mentality.

If you don't win immediately in the pros or in college, you're fired. And, that has trickled down to high school. That, coupled with parents who believe that Lil Bobby could have gone to Alabama with a different coach leading him, but now he's a hobo. With the access to social media, it would take nothing to stop a parent from finding an opposing coach on Facebook or Twitter, and talking to him in an effort to get him to their kids current school.

I do believe that admins could easily make the right choice and stand by their coach for more than 3-4 years, they're in a tough position with so many outside forces playing on their decision. Most administrators are going to take the easy way out, because their job security isn't exactly of the highest level.

In the end, if we are going to blame admins for this, we need to blame the rest of the culture and society surrounding athletics, as well.

I think another societal impact on coaches moving so much is also that 6 years is a long time to stay anywhere now. Maybe something to do with the short attention span of fans, players, and even coaches. The guys that stay in one place for a long time are going to become less and less common, IMO.

OPEN:

1) Adair County

2) Bell County

3) Caverna

4) Greenup County

5) Henderson County

6) Hopkins Co. Central

7) Jeffersontown

8) Marion County

9) Montgomery County

10) Owen County

11) Pike Co. Central