Open Jobs

Not challenging your statement...but over the years, I've have several job interviews with 5+ interviewers in the room. What makes a coaching interview any different?

The job interviews you had was a family member of someone else to be interviewed on the committee? Cause from what I hear there are most of the time 2 or 3 parents, so I am guessing they have an agenda. Such has but not limited to, my sons is QB I want a guy that is going to throw it every play or my son is a running back I am going to get a guy that runs the ball. So basically damn the team I want what is best for my boy.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have to have people on the committee that know football or at least get some coaches in on the interview.

Some AD's know basektball, some know football etc., as stated earlier if you have a good AD he has resources to reach out to friends that he has in the business that he can lean on to make a hire.

Principals are where the buck stops in KY. The Principal makes the final call and the site based council meets to approve if there is a teaching position involved. What we have come to here in KY is that Principals don't know anything about leadership. Principals in KY know about test scores, paperwork, data and special ed acronyms. Head football coach is a leadership position and Principals used to be able to spot a leader because they were one. No longer the case.

Principals are where the buck stops in KY. The Principal makes the final call and the site based council meets to approve if there is a teaching position involved. What we have come to here in KY is that Principals don't know anything about leadership. Principals in KY know about test scores, paperwork, data and special ed acronyms. Head football coach is a leadership position and Principals used to be able to spot a leader because they were one. No longer the case.

Giving "some" a little too much credit, @Iam4thecats :lol2:

Something that has also changed, and created a culture of many administrators these days being younger is the fact that anything administrative/educational leadership graduate degrees used to be those that were just Rank 1 (or 2nd Masters in some states). So, obviously...they took longer to get, which in turn meant more years in the classroom and/or coaching building many of those skills that in turn created the strong administrators of old.

I'm not sure when, but in the recent past, that changed and you can now get your Master's in admin/educational leadership areas.

So, adding onto what @Iam4thecats has already accurately pointed out, instead of having those seasoned/veteran administrators who were likely teachers and coaches for 15-20+ years; you have these administrators with sometimes LESS than 10 years in the classroom/coaching that couldn't wait to get out of the classroom quick enough themselves.

.....everybody hates a pink elephant in the room.

Something that has also changed, and created a culture of many administrators these days being younger is the fact that anything administrative/educational leadership graduate degrees used to be those that were just Rank 1 (or 2nd Masters in some states).

I'm not sure when, but in the recent past, that changed and you can now get your Master's in admin/educational leadership areas.

So, adding onto what @Iam4thecats has already accurately pointed out, instead of having those seasoned/veteran administrators who were likely teachers and coaches for 15-20+ years; you have these administrators with sometimes LESS than 10 years in the classroom/coaching that couldn't wait to get out of the classroom themselves quick enough.

Very True!

Also Harry to add to what you are saying is when does a head coach that is worth a dang have the time to go back and get all these degrees? If he is worth a dang he is working with his team. No time for these guys to go and get all this :poop: that you have to have now to be a so called leader!!!

I for one believe that now you are getting people that can quote all this educational stuff but cant lead or identify people that can lead. And from what I am hearing there are more discipline problems in our schools than in the history of our country and I believe a lot of it has to do with not having old coaches in admin positions. Just saying.

Also Harry to add to what you are saying is when does a head coach that is worth a dang have the time to go back and get all these degrees? If he is worth a dang he is working with his team. No time for these guys to go and get all this :poop: that you have to have now to be a so called leader!!!

@golden eagle, I know one thing is for sure; nobody ever needs to question your passion. :thumb:

However, I have to disagree. I know plenty coaches out there who all have at least one and/or two graduate degrees. Financially speaking for themselves and their families, they are messing up by not getting those (matter of fact, most all of them that I know have one and either have, or are working on the other).

I'd also like to think they are getting away from it some and spending that time with their families and their own hobbies. But, that's just me.

I for one believe that now you are getting people that can quote all this educational stuff but cant lead or identify people that can lead. And from what I am hearing there are more discipline problems in our schools than in the history of our country and I believe a lot of it has to do with not having old coaches in admin positions. Just saying.

I am not sure evidence would bear out the "more discipline" problems argument. Although, I suppose it depends upon your definition of problems. There is a tendency, I think, to look at the past with rose-colored glasses. We often don't take into account that a much bigger chunk of the population is being educated. Back in the day, kids that didn't like school just left after 8th grade or dropped out as soon as they turned 16. You also had fewer special education-type kids in the classroom.

I believe that a lot of discipline "problems" in our schools are teacher issues. There are too many of us that get sucked into power struggles and take certain behaviors personally. Rather than realizing that it took a kid 15 years to learn negative behaviors, and trying to teach them a different way, we often times get butt-hurt, puff-up, and escalate a problem that could have been handled with minimal disruption.

Had a couple interviews yesterday. I guess they went ok. One was probably better than the other but ok. I'm just hoping that the new coach puts an emphasis on the jr pro program. I've spent several hours with it over the last few years. Just like for the new coach make it a priority.