Open Jobs

What's that tell ya?

They don't care or not a high priority. I know you will hear the "Well we want to hire a quality coach." Ok, who doesn't? That's why any smart AD or principal, whoever makes the hire has to have a short list of people they would like to apply.

First call the people on the short list to apply. They will give you a simple yes or no. If yes, tell them how to apply online. If no simply erase their name off the list, you may put them back on once the hire has been made.

Getting back to the hiring process. If you have people on the list interested then interview them, keep in mind you have 30days to post the job online. During that time set up your interview committee, order subway sandwiches for each night or day of interviews. We wouldn't want to ask questions on an empty stomach. You may also start an interview or if you want to wait til 30 days are up that's fine, but have a goal or time frame you want to hire for the search committee. Also, collect all the resumes and decide what applicants you want to interview. If you interview 10 maybe do 2-3 a night and meet with the committee. If you think you have a winner then name them the head coach, if not take 2-3 applicants and interview 1 more time. Keyword 1 more time. If you have to reinterview people 3-4 times then you should not hire anyone.

First off screw the committee, that is where this whole process goes off the tracks. I think a good AD knows the direction that he/she needs to go and if they have a supportive administration they just need to put their heads together and do their due diligence and pull the trigger. Also I am not for sure you need to adhere to the 30 day window to make a hire. Football coach is a classified position pretty sure there need not be a 30 day wait. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I think the certified positions need the 30 day time frame.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off screw the committee, that is where this whole process goes off the tracks. I think a good AD knows the direction that he/she needs to go and if they have a supportive administration they just need to put their heads together and do their due diligence and pull the trigger. Also I am not for sure you need to adhere to the 30 day window to make a hire. Football coach is a classified position pretty sure there need not be a 30 day wait. Someone correct me if I am wrong, I think the certified positions need the 30 day time frame.

I got hosed a couple of times by committees unfortunately. Each & every time it ended up going down in a big old Bon Jovi "Blaze of Glory" Had 2 parents on the hiring committee (stipulated by our SBDM policy:ohbrother:) that voted for the guy they were calling to complain about less than 2 weeks later..... I didn't have an answer for them, but I asked if they remembered arguing with me for that candidate & not the one that I was trying to push through. When admin is afraid of parents, the AD is in a no-win situation on making good/great hires, BUT that is another story.

How many people on these committees know anything about football? I am guessing most of them don't know the first thing much less ask a coach to get on the board and block out a play or stop a play! We are really a joke in KY how we handle hiring football coaches!

None on the committee in Bell County.

AD, Principal, AP is enough for me, this keeps the process under wraps which is critical. With a committee tough to get everyone on the same page and it just creates issues when issues arise. I just think that an AD should know the direction they want and I think if they are attentive they see people that they think may fit their programs. After that hopefully the AD has resources to reach out to people to bounce names off of. If the AD takes his/her job seriously and they have a district that does things the proper way the process should be pretty smooth. Of course after the selection you need SBDM approval before announcing publicly.

OPEN:

1) Adair County

2) Bell County

3) Caverna

4) Henderson County

5) Jeffersontown

6) Lawrence County

7) Letcher County

8) Marion County

9) Monroe County

10) Montgomery County

11) Owen County

12) Paul Laurence Dunbar

FILLED:

1) Ballard - Mike Copley

2) Bullitt East - Mark Sander

3) Casey County - Steve Stonebreaker

4) Edmonson County - Nathan Smith

5) Holy Cross (Louisville) - Bob Bronger

6) Iroquois - Chris Peters

7) Logan County - Todd Adler

8) Manual - Scott Carmony

9) Phelps - David Jones

10) Sheldon Clark - Chester McCoy

11) Valley - Crad Jaggers

12) Webster County - Zach LaGrange

The Montgomery committee is a joke really. Many on the committee know nothing about football. You have the girls soccer coach on the committee. Couple of patents that only have their kids best intentions. Mr Akers just wants his son to be QB. The school system posted a survey on the website for parents to give their input on where they want the program to go in what direction. I also feel like if they had a athletic director that cared or knew what he was talking about he could lead this process. 8 members is probably too many. Mark Ledford and the principal are the only 2 that really know how a football program should be run. Football is always second here. It's obvious by the cathedral that was built looking over the football field.

Edited by Indians

Rambo in this day and time admin no nothing about coaching. Back in the day they were old coaches, today they are history teachers that have only run a classroom. Most know nothing about hiring coaches or even what a coach does. Again we are a joke in our state about hiring coaches

If I walked into an interview with 8 members I am not taking the job. Too many agendas in the room, you would be hired and have some in the room against you from your introductory news conference.

Not challenging your statement...but over the years, I've have several job interviews with 5+ interviewers in the room. What makes a coaching interview any different?

Not challenging your statement...but over the years, I've have several job interviews with 5+ interviewers in the room. What makes a coaching interview any different?

I would say with coaching, those people in the room might think that you work directly for them. Or, at least answer to them.

Whereas if you're interviewing for, say, a teaching job. If I'm a math teacher, the other teachers know they aren't my boss. So if they sit in on the interview, that's not a big deal.

If a parent is in on a coaching meeting, are they there for the good of the program or their child? If I know the star players mom is interviewing me, I could blow her a lot of smoke by mentioning things that will feature her child.

That's how I see it, at least. If there's a ton of people involved with a coaching interview, I could see someone seeing that as a red flag. They might take it as too many people with too many different interests and politics involved. And while they might all say they have the same goal, we all know they each have a different goal deep down.

I just think it is difficult with multiple members to get everyone on the same page. You get too many agendas in the room, I just think the best case scenario is to involve the AD, Principal, AP and maybe one faculty member and make the hire. I am just totally against committees with parents, friends of the program it just makes it tough to get consensus. I also think that if you are going to talk to other head coaches you need to be able to insure that the conversations are protected. There are multiple ways to make a hire I think some administrators go through so many other hiring processes in hiring teachers, hiring a coach is just not something they are interested in.