Open Jobs

Most admins today have not coached like in the past. This has definitely caused a culture shift. You do not only see in when you walk in the buildings, you can feel it. Coaches were able to motivate people to do extraordinary things and had an idea of what students liked and did not like about school. Because coaches put themselves on the same level with students to reach them it usually made them outstanding Administrators. However, with SBDM the Principal is now the hiring contract for their school, and they do not want to deal with someone that has high expectations, because when you hire a WINNER that is successful, then everyone will either have to rise to their level or it makes them look bad. So now most admins hire to fire in 4 or less so that they do not get this pressure. Our society, schools, and kids are suffering because of the lack of motivation and expectations of great coaches.

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not going to entirely put it on high school admins. That's coaching now, on all levels and in all sports. The fact that we are an instant gratification society (for better or for worse) had led to the "win now" mentality.

If you don't win immediately in the pros or in college, you're fired. And, that has trickled down to high school. That, coupled with parents who believe that Lil Bobby could have gone to Alabama with a different coach leading him, but now he's a hobo. With the access to social media, it would take nothing to stop a parent from finding an opposing coach on Facebook or Twitter, and talking to him in an effort to get him to their kids current school.

I do believe that admins could easily make the right choice and stand by their coach for more than 3-4 years, they're in a tough position with so many outside forces playing on their decision. Most administrators are going to take the easy way out, because their job security isn't exactly of the highest level.

In the end, if we are going to blame admins for this, we need to blame the rest of the culture and society surrounding athletics, as well.

Listen if you are a Principal and you don't have the coconuts to stand up to some parent that is mad cause jr aint playing then my friend you don't need to be in a leadership position in the first place!!! And that is the problem know a days these people running the school and the school systems have never run anything but a classroom. You probable aught to drive a go cart before you hit the nascar circuit.

10 years from now Absolutely NOBODY will want to coach in KY!! It is sickening what is happening in our state. The majority of people doing the hiring and firing have NO CLUE. We are no longer picking leaders to run our schools we are picking people that have no leadership skills.

Edited by Bobcat_dad

Hearing Ratliff hired as an assistant principal at Pike Central. True? If so, does this mean that A.) He will absolutely be the next head coach or B.) He just wants to get into administration and not coach??

I've known Eric for a very long time. He will go bonkers if he doesn't coach some sport. He was the Head Baseball Coach at PCC a very long time ago.

I've known Eric for a very long time. He will go bonkers if he doesn't coach some sport. He was the Head Baseball Coach at PCC a very long time ago.

Ok. Well that settles that. Very little drama to be had in the Pike Central coaching search then

10 years from now Absolutely NOBODY will want to coach in KY!! It is sickening what is happening in our state. The majority of people doing the hiring and firing have NO CLUE. We are no longer picking leaders to run our schools we are picking people that have no leadership skills.

Yes Sir!!!!

Those of you that are actual coaches on here are just as guilty regarding the hiring process. You should want to work for someone who doesn't support you, and if you're not asking that question in your interview and provide some substantial evidence towards it...you're doing yourself a disservice.

I've never been in a first or second round interview with a "committee" that asks X's and O's except for one time. I politely called them the next day and asked them to remove my name from the applicant list It's all about how you're going to build something with the Jim and Joes of now to be a staple in the community for the littler ones in 3/4 years. I coach for the kids and the folks who support our vision, not for mr and Mrs Qb1 and my skin is thick enough to deal with it.

I left the state not because of where coaching is going but because a principal I worked for before got a job along a beach and wanted some young energy to build a new culture around athletics.

And what if you do ask and the administration lies to you? I've known a few coaches that were told they would and it never happened. I get asking what type of support one can expect. I also think part of that has to be a given. How many other jobs do you have to ask during the interview process what type of support are you going to get?

If someone doesn't ask you the football ? X and O's then I think you are in trouble CAUSE THEY DONT CARE!!! If you are going to hire someone for any job and you don't ask them to show you or talk about their expertise in that field then you my friend are a fool. I am no coach but I am a business man and I ask ? all the time when I interview people about what their expertise is and explain some things to me. That's all good about the kids being a role model for the little ones BUT if you think for one minute that people give a hairy rats butt about that when you are losing then you will be blind sided the day you get your pink slip! And that is just the facts so all you out there saying I am bad for saying this then you might want to wake up from your dream about dolphins and flowers and join the real world. And I think admin are getting worse and worse, like I have said many times during my day it was an old coach who was the prin and super and now it is a English teacher that has never had to run a team or motivate people!!!!!!!!