Phones: Anybody gone back old school?

Harry Doyle

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Texting takes to long, no matter how fast you can type. I need to get things done in a hurry. I can call and get my point across in half the time.

Minimum it takes 30-40 seconds to have a phone conversation, even if it's a simple yes or no question and that's it.

Texting takes all of 5 seconds.

Minimum it takes 30-40 seconds to have a phone conversation, even if it's a simple yes or no question and that's it.

Texting takes all of 5 seconds.

Maybe it's a generation thing, but I don't talk on the phone unless there is no other option. Texting is so much easier. I get mad when people call me.

Maybe it's a generation thing, but I don't talk on the phone unless there is no other option. Texting is so much easier. I get mad when people call me.

I just flat out refuse to answer it. Only people I'll answer are my parents and even they've started texting me for most things.

Habib's right. It must be generational.

I know of only a couple of times in my life where a texting exchange has lasted less than a minute. Texting useful for simple stuff, but to carry on any kind of conversational exchange is cumbersome at best. At least it is for me.

Also, with Bluetooth, I can talk on the phone and work, or drive, at the same time. I multitask. It's rare to find me doing one thing at a time. I simply couldn't do my job, if I had to stop and text all of the time.

Habib's right. It must be generational.

I know of only a couple of times in my life where a texting exchange has lasted less than a minute. Texting useful for simple stuff, but to carry on any kind of conversational exchange is cumbersome at best. At least it is for me.

Also, with Bluetooth, I can talk on the phone and work, or drive, at the same time. I multitask. It's rare to find me doing one thing at a time. I simply couldn't do my job, if I had to stop and text all of the time.

The lack of communication skills I see in the younger workers hired concerns me and I believe it is a direct result of the increase in texting. Some really struggle to hold a simple conversation. I'm talking college educated people.

The lack of communication skills I see in the younger workers hired concerns me and I believe it is a direct result of the increase in texting. Some really struggle to hold a simple conversation. I'm talking college educated people.

Didnt start with the younger works, most older ones struggle as well. Ive been dealing with administrators at schools for the last two weeks, and you would be surprised at the inability for simple comprehension and conversation skills.

One of my sons went phone planless for almost 2 years while he was at UK. Almost everywhere he had class, his apartment, and the library had wifi.

So he canceled his phone plan and used his smart phone via wifi. He loaded an ap called Pinger. When you load the ap you get a real, permanent phone number.

- He could text any number anywhere as long as he had wifi.

- He had all of his friends and family load the ap, because there is unlimited calling from a Pinger number to another Pinger number.

- He could receive calls from anyone whether they were Pinger or not.

After he graduated and went to work, he had to get a phone plan. He went with one of the T-Mobile unlimited talk, text, data plans for around $45 a month.

My other son and his fiancee have the Walmart Family Mobile plan. They pay less than $80 (tax and all) a month for two phones with unlimited talk & text, 1GB of 4G data and unlimited 2G data. You have to pay a $25 start and have your own phone or buy a phone. They have smart phones starting at $20.00.