2015/16 NKY Boys BBall 6th, 7th, & 8th

TNT-MB1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is fodder for conversation ... No doubt Mayer will be good enough to be an impact JV player next year at CovCath. HOWEVER 3 considerations about where he plays next year (1) CovCath has an over abundance of Sophs and Jrs next year, probably 20 that would be starting JV at most other schools. Mayer will be better than many, but will they push upperclassmen down a notch to make room for him? I know his bloodlines and all, but there are lots of other kids that don't have freshman eligibility remaining with similar family history (2) he won't be seeing varsity minutes so no need to move up for that (3) CovCath has gotten a little spoiled, with all the talk of "dynasty" and has a goal of winning the frosh, JV and varsity regionals every year. Will they win frosh without him? I know there was disappointment this year that their frosh lost to Holy Cross in the regional finals, and at least some light second guessing about whether they should have played Thelen and Davin as freshmen instead of playing them strictly up on JV.

So you guys may be right, maybe he never plays a minute of JV. He certainly is a ferocious rebounder, and would probably be in the top 5-6 against kids a year older in that department in northern Kentucky. But CovCath doesn't need him there, and they might need him at the frosh level. Actually, I should ask the question: does CovCath dominate frosh ball next year without him? I'd like to hear opinions about that.

Here is fodder for conversation ... No doubt Mayer will be good enough to be an impact JV player next year at CovCath. HOWEVER 3 considerations about where he plays next year (1) CovCath has an over abundance of Sophs and Jrs next year' date=' probably 20 that would be starting JV at most other schools. Mayer will be better than many, but will they push upperclassmen down a notch to make room for him? I know his bloodlines and all, but there are lots of other kids that don't have freshman eligibility remaining with similar family history (2) he won't be seeing varsity minutes so no need to move up for that (3) CovCath has gotten a little spoiled, with all the talk of "dynasty" and has a goal of winning the frosh, JV and varsity regionals every year. Will they win frosh without him? I know there was disappointment this year that their frosh lost to Holy Cross in the regional finals, and at least some light second guessing about whether they should have played Thelen and Davin as freshmen instead of playing them strictly up on JV. So you guys may be right, maybe he never plays a minute of JV. He certainly is a ferocious rebounder, and would probably be in the top 5-6 against kids a year older in that department in northern Kentucky. But CovCath doesn't need him there, and they might need him at the frosh level. Actually, I should ask the question: does CovCath dominate frosh ball next year without him? I'd like to hear opinions about that.[/quote']

I've never known CCH to take into account winning the frosh tourney when deciding to move a player up to JV.

I doubt JV will have juniors next year.

I also would not assume all current players at any level are going to be on the team next year. Too much competition.

I've never known CCH to take into account winning the frosh tourney when deciding to move a player up to JV.

But CovCath has never had the depth they have now - no team has in northern Kentucky- and there has never been so high a premium on the JV and varsity spots at CCH. Moving Mayer up eats up one more of those high premium spots.

But CovCath has never had the depth they have now - no team has in northern Kentucky- and there has never been so high a premium on the JV and varsity spots at CCH. Moving Mayer up eats up one more of those high premium spots.

Survival of the fittest.

Ruthsatz could care less who gets their feelings hurt or who donates the most. The best will be evaluated and moved up. See Thelen and Davin....I'd expect Mayer to be moved up as well. Somebody doesn't like it, well get better in the offseason. They run a grueling offseason program of both ASAP workouts and in gym training.

Who are the bigs coming in to CCH next year besides Mayer? I assume Greene is more of a 3, the way he gets up and down the floor, but there are some decent bigs at other schools (Centers, Huddleston, Salter). Who matches up to them if Mayer plays up?
. Jones from ockerman will be at cov cath next year. I believe Mayer is an older 8th grader so if he moves up its against kids his own age.

Who are the bigs coming in to CCH next year besides Mayer? I assume Greene is more of a 3' date=' the way he gets up and down the floor, but there are some decent bigs at other schools (Centers, Huddleston, Salter). Who matches up to them if Mayer plays up?[/quote']

Centers is Point/2 guard.

CCH Freshman are loaded next year.

Off the top of my head

1 Grant Disken

2 Jay Jackson

3 Mayer

4 Neil Green

5 Lucas Jones

I'm sure there are others. But, this is the starting of a solid AAU team. I don't expect anyone to hang with them.