2015/16 NKY Boys BBall 6th, 7th, & 8th

TNT-MB1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "second tier" for HMS played 3 mins to start 2nd quarter. 2 of them started most of the year.

HMS played hard but didn't shoot well. Woodland shot well.

Hard to question a coach that won 32 games. Beat the 3 top teams in Cincy. IHM twice. Woodland twice. Once by 20+, another by 12 at their place. But what do I know. Just thought Woodland shot really well. And HMS did not.

Can I mention that the first game played between HMS and WMS this year at Campbell when WMS Lost by 20+. Was coach kiefers 2nd game he ever coached, the first time he had ever seen HMS play, and had only known his team for the few weeks they practiced during pre season. Much of the 1st half of season was Kiefer feeling out his team, trying to develop a system, and just a lot of growing pains for a young new coach. Too bad that the season is over now that he worked out most of the kinks, developed an effective coaching style and convinced a bunch of 12-13ylds to believe in a coach that's not much older than them.

I was there today - fun to see kids embrace the big stage and relish the moment. 3 really good games. My thoughts:

- Barth - Highlands 6th grader - took over in the 4th quarter, took the big shot(s), won the game for his team

- Not sure why CEMS 6th grade didn't pressure the inbound pass and deny Barth the ball. Kid caught the inbound pass, took 4-5 dribbles, and launched. Great shot, questionable D strategy. I double him, deny him the ball, and let another kid beat me.

- Woodland 7th grade team was very tough - those kids embraced the challenge of playing Highlands and got stronger as the game went on. #2 and #11 controlled the game and hit big shot after big shot. WMS also shot FTs very well. VERY well coached team. The better team won today.

- HMS 7th grade has some talent. #51 was a beast - what a competitor. Not the best basketball skills, but a HUGE heart. Could play on my team any time. #12 for HMS was just off - was clearly a very good shooter but just couldn't find the range and missed some FTs. Kid is obviously a VERY good player though - you want to play your best in the championship game, but sometimes that doesn't happen. Great competitor with super high BBall IQ. Next year's championship could be a rematch...I have a feeling the HMS kids will work harder this summer at the armory because of today's game.

- 8th grade - St. Pius is a very good. Extremely well coached, can shoot the ball and really play man D. Mayer is a man among boys. JV next year (at least) for CCH - IMO will leapfrog some kids and play varsity. Great skills, strong, high IQ, and a leader. Pius kids improve the most from 6th-8th grade and play with great cohesiveness. Mayer was in foul trouble for much of the game - kids stepped up. The better team won.

- CEMS - Centers is a very good player, and CEMS plays so hard and so together. They just need one more kid who can SHOOT it. Pius probably hit 8 3's in the game - CEMS just couldn't keep up. Sullivan will make them all better at Cooper.

On a side note - I know this is the boys' thread, but I have to say the most courageous performance I saw today was by #11 on the Turkeyfoot 7th grade girls team. Don't know her name but she was INDOMINATABLE. Gray got up, the girl just kept willing and skilling her team back in the game. Phenomenal performance by a player of any age - let alone a 7th grader.

3 great games - a fitting way to end the season. The future is bright for NKy basketball!

- 8th grade - St. Pius is a very good. Extremely well coached, can shoot the ball and really play man D. Mayer is a man among boys. JV next year (at least) for CCH - IMO will leapfrog some kids and play varsity. Great skills, strong, high IQ, and a leader. Pius kids improve the most from 6th-8th grade and play with great cohesiveness. Mayer was in foul trouble for much of the game - kids stepped up. The better team won.

!

Mayer is a pretty good player, but he isn't leap-frogging anyone at CCH to get varsity time next year. He might get some JV time, but the current FR who actually make the team next year are outstanding. Because they are starting 3 SO this year, they might keep an extra SO or two next season for JV, but I see mayer at the FR level next season.

Mayer is better than either of their freshman team bigs. Fleek is a good player but Mayer is a better shooter and just as good an athlete. Mayer is also better than Coldiron - better athlete, better skills, and better feel for the game.

I think he is better than Thelen, too, and Thelen played JV exclusively this year.

I've seen the CCH frosh bigs play - Mayer is better than all 3. If he plays JV next year, he starts.

My opinion from what I've seen...

Mayer is better than either of their freshman team bigs. Fleek is a good player but Mayer is a better shooter and just as good an athlete. Mayer is also better than Coldiron - better athlete, better skills, and better feel for the game.

I think he is better than Thelen, too, and Thelen played JV exclusively this year.

I've seen the CCH frosh bigs play - Mayer is better than all 3. If he plays JV next year, he starts.

My opinion from what I've seen...

OK - just a difference of opinion. I don't think that he is better than Thelen or Davin.....I don't think he is as strong as Coldiron or as long as Fleek. Mayer doesn't play high level AAU like these other guys do, and you are making your judgment seeing Mayer play against other NKY 8th grade "bigs". And honestly, there aren't too many decent "bigs" at this grade in NKY. We will see though.

Re: Mayer

I lean more towards Don't Hate than ABBP. You don't see a lot of kids who are 6'2ish in 8th grade with his build, athletic ability, and ball skills. Plus he's got some fire in him.

I'll be shocked if he ever dresses for a frosh game. You could put him in a varsity game today and get some decent minutes out of him. He's a 4 maybe a 5 at the high school level but , again, ball skills make him a challenge to guard.

CCH is blessed with some nice young 4s and 5s. They all have their strengths. I'm one of the bigger Coldiron fans and think he can be a post player due to his strength and toughness. Mayer has more ball skills than Coldiron and would be a nice compliment. You can't compare him to Davin and Fleek. They're 3s. He's physically stronger than both today though.'

Thelen is longer and more athletic but not as skilled. Two different players right now. Can play both together.

I say this without ever having the chance to see Green. He may be just as good. No clue. Add in Green and Jones coming in next year and you've got 3 BIGs who can go.

The depth at CCH is amazing right now.

Pius won today with Mayer sitting quite a bit. CEMS was hanging early but then Pius hit , I think, 3 straight 3s to open it up a bit.

CEMS is really good. Dave Kanarek did a really good job with those boys. It can be a nice class at Cooper.

One more thing. Someone said something about Mayer not playing high-level AAU. I guess that may impact some kids.

It has ZERO bearing on Mayer. His teachers are too strong. They teach him how to play the game. It hasn't hurt him(if it's true which I have no clue).

On a side note - I know this is the boys' thread, but I have to say the most courageous performance I saw today was by #11 on the Turkeyfoot 7th grade girls team. Don't know her name but she was INDOMINATABLE. Gray got up, the girl just kept willing and skilling her team back in the game. Phenomenal performance by a player of any age - let alone a 7th grader.

3 great games - a fitting way to end the season. The future is bright for NKy basketball!

She is the daughter of the NKU women's coach. I've seen her about 4 or 5 times this year and she plays without regard to her body. Tough, tough kid. Really nice PG and will get better when she matures physically. Knows how to play and "she ain't scared."

Re: Mayer

I lean more towards Don't Hate than ABBP. You don't see a lot of kids who are 6'2ish in 8th grade with his build, athletic ability, and ball skills. Plus he's got some fire in him.

I'll be shocked if he ever dresses for a frosh game. You could put him in a varsity game today and get some decent minutes out of him. He's a 4 maybe a 5 at the high school level but , again, ball skills make him a challenge to guard.

CCH is blessed with some nice young 4s and 5s. They all have their strengths. I'm one of the bigger Coldiron fans and think he can be a post player due to his strength and toughness. Mayer has more ball skills than Coldiron and would be a nice compliment. You can't compare him to Davin and Fleek. They're 3s. He's physically stronger than both today though.'

Thelen is longer and more athletic but not as skilled. Two different players right now. Can play both together.

I say this without ever having the chance to see Green. He may be just as good. No clue. Add in Green and Jones coming in next year and you've got 3 BIGs who can go.

The depth at CCH is amazing right now.

Mayer has very good form on his jump shot - I think by the time he leaves CCH he could play the 3 or at the very least a stretch 4. He will be a great fit in Ruthsatz's motion offense. He doesn't mind contact and can shoot FTs very well.

I agree that CCH's big man depth is impressive - they need to find the next set of guards behind Aiden Ruthsatz. Dave R. HATES turnovers and the current freshman class doesn't take as good care of the ball as will be demanded at the next level. Guard play cost them in the freshman championship game.

HS and college basketball start with guard/perimeter play - those bigs won't be as effective if the guards can't handle pressure and get the team into half court sets.

Green, mentioned by Clyde, is going to be very good. He is long, athletic, and has an improving jump shot out to 16' - 18'. He has a high motor, is a very good offensive rebounder, and challenges shots inside. He is still learning the game, but has a chance to be really, really good.

I like Mayer as well. I'd love him to join my NKY Legends team & join a few of his potential CCH teammates. He is a very good offensive rebounder and is a big that can handle the ball and create mismatch opportunities as necessary. I have also seen him be passive on offense against other physical players.

As much as I respect Clyde's opinion, I think getting to play against other high-level players is important to a kid's development. When you have to exercise your skill set instead of just physically dominating the opponent, that can make you a better player. I don't know the AAU schedule Mayer has played over the last year or two, outside of 2 games against my Legends team. But I know that Green has improved tremendously by playing against kids 3" - 4" bigger & quicker than him in the post. I am not comparing the two as players, because they are different skill sets and will play different positions. I know they have guarded each other in school games because they are the biggest kids on their respective teams. But, they will be different HS players.

Regardless, CCH will be reloading with players as talented as these two. Although, I don't think Mayer or Green will burst onto the JV scene next season. I think playing together at the FR level will do them both good. I think getting to learn the physical play on the defensive end is an opportunity for both of them.

As much as I respect Clyde's opinion, I think getting to play against other high-level players is important to a kid's development. .

To be clear, I am NOT saying it cannot help. I am saying his instruction is so good that it's not a requirement for him to succeed.

what a great game tonight with the 8 th grade st. Pius v/s CEMS. Some bad phantom calls on Mayer and Centers to make them both sit with about 3 min left in the third. The difference in the game is when pius hit 3 3s in a row. They face guarded centers the whole game to keep the ball out of his hands. Mayer is a stud not for sure his stats. Centers finished with 15 points 11 boards