Televangelists

"As soon as a coin in the coffer rings, the soul from purgatory springs."

-- Saying attributed to Johann Tetzel, the Dominican friar who gained notoriety in the 1500s selling indulgences to fund the building projects of Pope Leo X.

What's happening today is the same game ... just a different century.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know how I feel.

Preachers

Politicians

Lawyers

Used Car Salesmen

Jared Fogle

Ebola

Megan Kelly

ISIS

... A pretty solid list of SICKENING and/or DISGUSTING right there. Preachers get the nod, though. Megan, worse than an ebola outbreak but only slightly less painful to watch than an ISIS beheading party.

Thanks ScienceFriction. :thumb:

I was reading some info. this weekend about some of the incredible wife of some of the popular televangelists:

6 Outrageously Wealthy Preachers Under Federal Investigation

It is interesting to me as to how other people feel about this topic. I see these people as the greediest of the corporate execs. Maybe they are more like actors or media personalities. I'll stop there, but this topic leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Freudian slip?

Thanks ScienceFriction. :thumb:

You have a hard row to hoe these days, Hatz. Used to be preachers were very respected. Typically, they'd be some of the most educated people in a community and most of the folks accepted the worldview they espoused.

Then the 60's happened and rebellion against most every authority was in vogue. Alternate view points became more prevalent. Then the 80's happened and Jim Baker and Jimmy Swaggart brought a negative connotation to the term "TV preacher" and just "preacher". Postmodernism sent the preacher further down the list of respectability.

Trouble is, people don't typically see when you answer the phone at 2 am and someone in your congregation has a relative in crisis, perhaps suicidal and you go to them and help them or when a couple comes in for marital counseling and you carry them on your heart for months trying to help. They don't see when a person has a heart attack late at night and you go to the hospital and sit and pray with the family all night while they await the outcome. They don't see it when a parishioner has a terminal illness and you walk with them and their family over a period of months or years until the inevitable demise and you listen as they express their sorrow that they won't see their children graduate or be able to walk their daughter down the aisle. Yet you are there with the ministry of presence. They don't see it when the single mother calls on the phone and needs groceries or help with the rent and you give it to them. You do all of this plus study to bring a message of hope each Sunday, administer the church, teach Bible study, visit in homes, minister in the community, etc. They don't notice all of that.

They only see it when someone fails their calling and does something immoral or they only see the prominent guys on TV who preach a false gospel of prosperity. And you get colored by their behavior. The broad brush isn't fair but it is part of reality for you.

Thanks for what you do, Hatz. Your reward will come from Another.

You know how I feel.

Preachers

Politicians

Lawyers

Used Car Salesmen

Jared Fogle

Ebola

Megan Kelly

ISIS

... A pretty solid list of SICKENING and/or DISGUSTING right there. Preachers get the nod, though. Megan, worse than an ebola outbreak but only slightly less painful to watch than an ISIS beheading party.

You are of course entitled to your opinion. Throwing in child molesters, deadly diseases, and terrorists may be a little below the belt.

I didn't start this thread to slam preachers, but I will say that church and charities can be big businesses that don't pay taxes. There is a reason there is a Goodwill on every corner...free product, often free labor (doing community service time) and little to no tax burden. I read where the CEO is compensated 7 figures plus annually.

What is the "calling" that leads a successful minister from a church in Lexington, let's say like Southland, to start huge building plans and funds, then jump ship to a bigger church in Louisville. I know the Louisvillians need the gospel more than Lexontonians, :clap: but are there other reasons?

I didn't start this thread to slam preachers, but I will say that church and charities can be big businesses that don't pay taxes. There is a reason there is a Goodwill on every corner...free product, often free labor (doing community service time) and little to no tax burden. I read where the CEO is compensated 7 figures plus annually.

What is the "calling" that leads a successful minister from a church in Lexington, let's say like Southland, to start huge building plans and funds, then jump ship to a bigger church in Louisville. I know the Louisvillians need the gospel more than Lexontonians, :clap: but are there other reasons?

You should ask him.

Peter Poppov is still selling his miracle healing water after all these years. I've spent many an hour watching his schtick over the decades. His act is funny and sad all at the same time. I've seen a number of local Poppov's at work as well.

Do you think most televangelists actually believe all they are selling to the public or just playing the game for the jets and mansions?

I think some local preachers probably believe their own spiel but not all. I've always thought Billy Graham probably believed what he preached. I know Christopher Hitchens disagreed. He thought Graham was a fraud as well.