Televangelists

Peter Poppov is still selling his miracle healing water after all these years. I've spent many an hour watching his schtick over the decades. His act is funny and sad all at the same time. I've seen a number of local Poppov's at work as well.

Do you think most televangelists actually believe all they are selling to the public or just playing the game for the jets and mansions?

I think some local preachers probably believe their own spiel but not all. I've always thought Billy Graham probably believed what he preached. I know Christopher Hitchens disagreed. He thought Graham was a fraud as well.

Some discussion of Hitchens accusation.

Why Christopher Hitchens Is Wrong About Billy Graham - TIME

It is hard to give Hitchens much credibility when his entire mission is one to break down people's belief system. Just because he is mad at God, there is no justification to destroy other's beliefs.

Now, on the other hand, is there justification for the tax code to support these beliefs?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Billy Graham has been a man of integrity for a long, long time. He admits to his faults. As the Time article confirms, Hitchens lied about Graham.

Never heard of Peter Poppov. Don't care to either.

Peter Poppov was the evangelist who claimed to be working through God to heal people. He made millions doing this. He was eventually exposed as a fraud by James Randi who hired an expert to use equipment that picked up radio frequencies that were carrying messages to a hidden earpiece Poppov was wearing. His wife and others would work the crowd as members of the audience and get inside information about people's ailments, then send the info to Poppov's hidden receiver.

The dangerous thing about what Poppov would do was tell very sick people to empty all their medications from their possession and throw it up on the stage, that they didn't need it anymore because God was now in control. So, lines of audience members would throw all their meds on the stage. I suppose a lot of it was meds such as heart medicine and other vital meds they needed.

It was kind of similar to the old Steve Martin movie "Leap Of Faith".

Peter Poppov was the evangelist who claimed to be working through God to heal people. He made millions doing this. He was eventually exposed as a fraud by James Randi who hired an expert to use equipment that picked up radio frequencies that were carrying messages to a hidden earpiece Poppov was wearing. His wife and others would work the crowd as members of the audience and get inside information about people's ailments, then send the info to Poppov's hidden receiver.

The dangerous thing about what Poppov would do was tell very sick people to empty all their medications from their possession and throw it up on the stage, that they didn't need it anymore because God was now in control. So, lines of audience members would throw all their meds on the stage. I suppose a lot of it was meds such as heart medicine and other vital meds they needed.

It was kind of similar to the old Steve Martin movie "Leap Of Faith".

I thought you guys were talking of the cheap vodka brand.

It was kind of similar to the old Steve Martin movie "Leap Of Faith".[/QUOTE]

Martin's "Leap of Faith" was, in fact , inspired by Poppov's ministry.