Reds Trade Marlon Byrd To Giants

price499

Makes no sense. I thought Byrd was a 'good clubhouse' guy. A leader. If you're going to go with a young team, don't you need someone to show them the ropes?

The Reds would be in some doodoo if the 8M dollars kicked in from his contract for reaching 500 ABs. This move had to be made.

Stephen Johnson, a reliever that is actually a reliever. No converting for this guy. Live arm with control issues at times, has dialed it up to 102 mph back in high school but now sits in the 96 mph range with a plus curve that he flashes at times. Also has a funky delivery that attributes to his wildness. He has 68 K's in 58 innings this season at AA with batters hitting just .214 off of him.

Edited by nkufan23

Makes no sense. I thought Byrd was a 'good clubhouse' guy. A leader. If you're going to go with a young team, don't you need someone to show them the ropes?

Do you want to pay Byrd $8 million next year?

This is a great move for the Reds, even if the pitcher never plays for the big league club.

Why do guys think he's a clubhouse guy? I'm not saying he's not, but is it more than just the one comment about Latos?

Also, this move was nothing more than a financial decision and a smart one.

I wondered that as well. He's on his 10th team in the big league and his 8th since 2009. You'd think if he were that great of a clubhouse guy he wouldn't have bounced around so much.

Johnson doesn't look like much of a prospect given his WHIP but the Reds did well to make sure that they aren't on the hook for Byrd next season. Maybe Johnson will figure out his control and contribute down the road. Even if he doesn't the Reds lost nothing here.