Track the Reds

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, that should help the beer vendors shouldn't it?

What's the story on that MJ? Is a rain delay good for business or bad for business?

Not at all. Rain Delays are awful for business.

If you look at last night vs. Tuesday night. The crowd was projected to be virtually the same size.

Tuesday night I sold (Cutoff was 9:40):

20 regular beers

15 premium beers

4 waters

6 sodas

Wednesday night I sold (the game was quick too. end of the 7th inning came at about 9:15):

76 beers

17 premiums

12 waters

15 sodas

Now imagine it being a Saturday game. I will make 4-5x more money on a Saturday with sun and 80 degress than I'd make in a game where there is a rain delay for 2.5 hours.

Reasons why rain delays hurt my business:

Fans stay away because they don't want to deal with the weather = less mouths in the ballpark

Fans are irritated = Happy people spend more money

Fans like to wander the park = they buy draft beer and their butts aren't in the seats like during a game

Since its not selling as quick, I gotta carry weight around longer. Not so bad on me, but hurts other vendors quite a bit.

Beer vendors are rewarded with choosing their location for the next game if they sell the most water, soda or peanuts. I've gotten very good at selling soda & water. So good that I'll go on 14-15 game stretches working the best location in the park (first base line). Rain delays make it more difficult to sell second product, so less money, but also makes it tougher for me to sell enough to qualify for "high vendor" (gotta sell at least 7 waters or 9 soda). Being the "high vendor" keeps me from working upstairs and helps make my overall net gain on the year be pretty solid.

Probably giving you guys a lot more information than you want lol.

Not at all. Rain Delays are awful for business.

If you look at last night vs. Tuesday night. The crowd was projected to be virtually the same size.

Tuesday night I sold (Cutoff was 9:40):

20 regular beers

15 premium beers

4 waters

6 sodas

Wednesday night I sold (the game was quick too. end of the 7th inning came at about 9:15):

76 beers

17 premiums

12 waters

15 sodas

Now imagine it being a Saturday game. I will make 4-5x more money on a Saturday with sun and 80 degress than I'd make in a game where there is a rain delay for 2.5 hours.

If there is a rain delay, do they still stop selling beers at 9:40 or do they wait until like the 7th inning when game resumes?

If there is a rain delay, do they still stop selling beers at 9:40 or do they wait until like the 7th inning when game resumes?

Their policy for the beers vendors is the end of the 7th inning or 2.5 hours after the scheduled start of the game.

So if the games is scheduled to start at 7:10, we are cutoff at 9:40 no matter what happens.

It's tough to explain to fans when the game is delayed and maybe they start playing at 8:30, then when it's 9:30 we are closing down and they don't get it cause its the 3rd inning.