Arrest warrants issued for cheering at graduation

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, for God's sake. Why in the Sam Hill are you so worked up about this? For some folks, their kid graduating from HS is the biggest thing that will ever happen. Who cares if they whoop and holler like clowns? If it gets out of hand, trigger some mic feedback. Problem solved.

Are you this uptight about the jaywalking epidemic in this country? Do you never break the speed limit? Why is this such a terrible thing when West Point and Annapolis ceremonies — as full of pomp and circumstance as it gets — do the same thing? I just don't see why this is such a big deal.

First off, if you think I'm "worked up" over this then you don't know me at all. :lol2: This is a forum, I gave my opinion, not exactly heartbreaking for me if you don't like my opinion.

The rule is in place for a reason most of the time, schools likely have had problems in the past. They know some so called adults can be the most childish people there are and they act like fools. Probably have been too many complaints and problems in the past, so they make the rule. Why in the world is it so hard for people to get the fact that their little Jimmy or Janie isn't so much more special and precious than everyone else's kids? Why do people like you, Jim, think that just because it's a rule made by the school at the ceremony that they the school conduct that your need for acting out against the rule, trying to play the "cool parent" is perfectly okay? This obsessive need for public display seems like they want the ceremony to be about them instead of the students graduating.

On your other comments, if I jaywalk or I speed, guess what? I run the risk of punishment. I get a ticket if I get caught don't I?

West Point and Annapolis aren't high schools last time I checked.

Grow up. Stop acting like a child. Stop embarrassing yourself and your kids.

First off, if you think I'm "worked up" over this then you don't know me at all. :lol2: This is a forum, I gave my opinion, not exactly heartbreaking for me if you don't like my opinion.

The rule is in place for a reason most of the time, schools likely have had problems in the past. They know some so called adults can be the most childish people there are and they act like fools. Probably have been too many complaints and problems in the past, so they make the rule. Why in the world is it so hard for people to get the fact that their little Jimmy or Janie isn't so much more special and precious than everyone else's kids? Why do people like you, Jim, think that just because it's a rule made by the school at the ceremony that they the school conduct that your need for acting out against the rule, trying to play the "cool parent" is perfectly okay? This obsessive need for public display seems like they want the ceremony to be about them instead of the students graduating.

On your other comments, if I jaywalk or I speed, guess what? I run the risk of punishment. I get a ticket if I get caught don't I?

West Point and Annapolis aren't high schools last time I checked.

Grow up. Stop acting like a child. Stop embarrassing yourself and your kids.

I wouldn't categorize this as a "rule." The term I'd use is "ill-advised decree." Do school superintendents have the power, for instance, to ban cheering at high school basketball games?

I wouldn't categorize this as a "rule." The term I'd use is "ill-advised decree." Do school superintendents have the power, for instance, to ban cheering at high school basketball games?
Apples to oranges. It's a graduation ceremony, the school determines how the ceremony will be condcted. Why is it so hard to just follow the rules for some adults? Why do some people have to make it about them?

Apples to oranges. It's a graduation ceremony, the school determines how the ceremony will be condcted. Why is it so hard to just follow the rules for some adults? Why do some people have to make it about them?

Why do schools think they can determine how everyone in society is supposed to behave ? Institutional control is not guaranteed just because you work at a school. This is more a case of schools attempting to overreach their boundaries….

Why do schools think they can determine how everyone in society is supposed to behave ? Institutional control is not guaranteed just because you work at a school. This is more a case of schools attempting to overreach their boundaries….
I completely disagree, the graduation is not conducted by the students or the parents it is conducted by the school, therefore their rules apply. If the parents want to celebrate by hooting and hollering simply do it at a graduation party. Do you have a problem with all of the other rules at the different schools or is it just the graduation one? I simply don't see what is so hard about conducting yourself within the parameters of the schools wishes during the ceremony.

I completely disagree, the graduation is not conducted by the students or the parents it is conducted by the school, therefore their rules apply. If the parents want to celebrate by hooting and hollering simply do it at a graduation party. Do you have a problem with all of the other rules at the different schools or is it just the graduation one? I simply don't see what is so hard about conducting yourself within the parameters of the schools wishes during the ceremony.

Schools' rules apply when they don't run counter to the Bill of Rights. Had this gone to trial, one line of defense would have been that the superintendent's directive was a violation of audience members' right to free speech based on the First Amendment. No doubt the prosecutor's office informed same to the superintendent and let him (reluctantly) drop the charges.

Schools' rules apply when they don't run counter to the Bill of Rights. Had this gone to trial, one line of defense would have been that the superintendent's directive was a violation of audience members' right to free speech based on the First Amendment. No doubt the prosecutor's office informed same to the superintendent and let him (reluctantly) drop the charges.

Dang that pesky Bill of Rights and the ACLU, anyway.

If you're confused, I don't agree with the arrest, so that's not my argument. The schools have the right to ask and expect those attending the graduation ceremony to follow the rules they set. Those thinking otherwise are incorrect IMO.

Not really, just the arbitrary control freak kind….

Not really, just the arbitrary control freak kind….

And that's fine for anyone to feel that way, but there are proper channels and proper ways to get things changed especially for an adult. You just don't rudely thumb your nose at authority and do as you please. Exactly what kind of example would that be setting for any high school kid or younger children?

And that's fine for anyone to feel that way, but there are proper channels and proper ways to get things changed especially for an adult. You just don't rudely thumb your nose at authority and do as you please. Exactly what kind of example would that be setting for any high school kid or younger children?

I guess it depends on what your interpretation of "rudely thumb your nose at authority", obviously we have several rude posters on this thread, so who defines the "norm".

As for the example I set for my children, I encourage them to question authority and challenge when appropriate. Just because an entity exists, doesn't mean that everything they do is in the best interest of their consumers....I mean after all, isn't that what this country was founded on, the challenge of authority and status quo ?

Yeah, I probably set a terrible example for my children, but I'm pretty confident they will make it in this world, even though I broke the rules and yelled out loud at graduation..

I guess it depends on what your interpretation of "rudely thumb your nose at authority", obviously we have several rude posters on this thread, so who defines the "norm".

As for the example I set for my children, I encourage them to question authority and challenge when appropriate. Just because an entity exists, doesn't mean that everything they do is in the best interest of their consumers....I mean after all, isn't that what this country was founded on, the challenge of authority and status quo ?

Yeah, I probably set a terrible example for my children, but I'm pretty confident they will make it in this world, even though I broke the rules and yelled out loud at graduation..

You troublemaker, you. You're supposed to blindly follow each and every rule without question.