All A Debate: 3 Schools Won't Participate Because They Say Private Schools Recruit

price499

Crittenden County, Livingston Central and Lyon County, three small schools in Western Kentucky, won't compete in the All "A" Classic boys' basketball tournament next season because they think they can't compete with private or independent schools that provide scholarships to student-athletes. Crittenden County Coach Denis Hodge met with All "A" representatives, including event founder Stan Steidel, and expressed his concerns. "We're very appreciative of the All 'A' and the work that's been done, but times have changed. It's being dominated by schools that have no recruiting boundaries and can use scholarships to attract athletes."

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/05/21/3863293_high-school-notebook-three-schools.html?rh=1#storylink=cpy

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We respect private schools, their athletics and their purpose in our state and country, and we don't want to discriminate against them. With that said, if you give financial aid to a student to play sports, that's a scholarship. You can say you gave financial aid because a kid is a good citizen or a good student, but if he's 6-6 and can dunk a basketball, everybody knows why he's there. He wasn't picked randomly." Hodge said a "principal, superintendent or somebody with a pay grade higher than a coach would have to sign off on whether their school has athletes on scholarship who play basketball."

I thought the financial aid is based on income. If you qualify for financial aid due to low income, and the funds are available to the school, you get the financial aid.

"We respect private schools' date=' their athletics and their purpose in our state and country, and we don't want to discriminate against them. With that said, if you give financial aid to a student to play sports, that's a scholarship. You can say you gave financial aid because a kid is a good citizen or a good student, but if he's 6-6 and can dunk a basketball, everybody knows why he's there. He wasn't picked randomly." Hodge said a "principal, superintendent or somebody with a pay grade higher than a coach would have to sign off on whether their school has athletes on scholarship who play basketball." I thought the financial aid is based on income. If you qualify for financial aid due to low income, and the funds are available to the school, you get the financial aid. [/quote']

Ignorance on his part or he is trying to sell his fans on his inability to compete as stemming from recruiting.

I understand the frustration, but I don't think boycotting the All A does anything to help. Even if the reality of the All A has become that some of the smaller schools (particularly the smaller public schools) stand little chance of advancing to the state tournament, much less compete for a state championship, the All A tournament still provides opportunities to play in a tournament setting, let players compete for all-Region tournament team honors, and perhaps occasionally surprise someone. I very much appreciated Mr. Steidel's comments in the article. It may not be perfect for all participants, but the opportunities it presents should be celebrated.

Crittenden County, Livingston Central and Lyon County, three small schools in Western Kentucky, won't compete in the All "A" Classic boys' basketball tournament next season because they think they can't compete with private or independent schools that provide scholarships to student-athletes. Crittenden County Coach Denis Hodge met with All "A" representatives, including event founder Stan Steidel, and expressed his concerns. "We're very appreciative of the All 'A' and the work that's been done, but times have changed. It's being dominated by schools that have no recruiting boundaries and can use scholarships to attract athletes."

Read more here: High school notebook: Three schools pull out of All 'A' Classic over public-private debate | Mike Fields' Notebook | Kentucky.com

My man best get his facts straight before he goes spouting off. Any financial aid given at catholic schools is need based aid, it has ZERO to do with athletics......but if the coach wants to continue to believe that, it's his choice.

This might be one of those "walk a mile in their shoes" stories. If you haven't "lived" in the 2nd Region over the last 30 years, it would be hard to understand the depth of feeling. And it's not just the All A schools there.

And, the All A tourney messes up schedules (though admittedly that's a state-wide situation.) Schools have to leave room for all potential tourney games...then have open dates when they lose early. Or over-schedule and then have to cancel a game or two on the happy chance they advance. So to "compete" and have to do the re-scheduling thing is difficult enough.

I don't think anyone is suggesting cancelling the All A tourneys; these guys just said they won't bother. Their choice.

This might be one of those "walk a mile in their shoes" stories. If you haven't "lived" in the 2nd Region over the last 30 years, it would be hard to understand the depth of feeling. And it's not just the All A schools there.

And, the All A tourney messes up schedules (though admittedly that's a state-wide situation.) Schools have to leave room for all potential tourney games...then have open dates when they lose early. Or over-schedule and then have to cancel a game or two on the happy chance they advance. So to "compete" and have to do the re-scheduling thing is difficult enough.

I don't think anyone is suggesting cancelling the All A tourneys; these guys just said they won't bother. Their choice.

Agree on that part.

The question becomes, is it the school's fault for a player wanting to come to that school because he wants to play basketball, baseball, run track or whatever sport? If you look at it, I think kids go to schools that tend to be the hot school at the time. Just because one school is hot for 2/3 years doesn't mean the next 2/3 they are not going struggle to make it out of their All A region.

I'll agree with many, get the facts right before you write... Oh wait, we have seen that how many times this year that reporters/news try to scoop something and get everything completely wrong. Or even worse, they stir up controversy that doesn't need to be there.

Some times if you say something loud and long enough people start believing.

Steidel said he can't respond to Hodge's request because "there's a whole lot of private schools that do give some money to kids that don't cheat. And any time you want to do a survey, I'll give you two publics to each private that are cheating in the state."

WOW