All A Debate: 3 Schools Won't Participate Because They Say Private Schools Recruit

price499

Does the Khsaa say how much you can pay a student to do odd jobs to "work" off tuition? For example, does sweeping off the front porch of the school for 5 minutes a day constitute a $6000 a year job that covers tuition? I'm fairly confident jobs similar to that exist out there at certain schools.

Name the schools that give a family $6,000 a year to sweep the halls.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't 100% disagree with him. Schools like NewCath really have no business playing in the All A.

Ncc and all private schools have as much right as any team to play in the All A if their kids are all eligible and actually paying the tuition. The only issue I could see is if their tuition is being subsidized because they're athletes.

I have no evidence it happens anywhere, but that's the perception around the state. That's what some people think. I've heard stories whether true or not. That's why I said to have open records for the Khsaa to view if there were teams filing a protest.

Xyz county thinks a team has players not paying tuition. You could then prove or disprove any irregularities by opening the file and showing proof of payment for tuition. Xyz county would then lose the money they spent on filing the protest. Its just one way schools could protect themselves and end speculation.

I know I've heard opposing fans from downstate football teams think Highlands has dorms and a bunch of kids from Ohio. I know those dorms don't exist. As far as I know every tuition kid is paying full price and there's no jobs to offset tuition.

Does the Khsaa say how much you can pay a student to do odd jobs to "work" off tuition? For example, does sweeping off the front porch of the school for 5 minutes a day constitute a $6000 a year job that covers tuition? I'm fairly confident jobs similar to that exist out there at certain schools.

I have no evidence it happens anywhere, but that's the perception around the state. That's what some people think. I've heard stories whether true or not. That's why I said to have open records for the Khsaa to view if there were teams filing a protest.

Xyz county thinks a team has players not paying tuition. You could then prove or disprove any irregularities by opening the file and showing proof of payment for tuition. Xyz county would then lose the money they spent on filing the protest. Its just one way schools could protect themselves and end speculation.

I know I've heard opposing fans from downstate football teams think Highlands has dorms and a bunch of kids from Ohio. I know those dorms don't exist. As far as I know every tuition kid is paying full price and there's no jobs to offset tuition.

You went from being fairly certain to just hearsay pretty fast. Having been on the receiving end of dorm speculation and the likes as a Highlands fan, I'm sure you would agree that it's wrong to perpetuate those same types of rumors of other schools without knowing the facts. Just sayin'

You went from being fairly certain to just hearsay pretty fast. Having been on the receiving end of dorm speculation and the likes as a Highlands fan, I'm sure you would agree that it's wrong to perpetuate those same types of rumors of other schools without knowing the facts. Just sayin'

And there's the crux of the whole debate. I've been following HS sports in KY for well over 30 years and the same "facts" that are presented now were presented 30 years ago. Everyone it seems knows someone who...

Trinity is located at the site of what used to be a Catholic parish, as such there is a priest's residence on the property. At one time Trinity had several priests on the faculty and they lived there and there's currently one priest living there. A few years ago Ryle played Trinity in the playoffs at Trinity. Some of their fans arrived early and walked around Trinity's campus, as all visiting fans are welcome to do. The following Monday a thread was started on this board asking how many students lived on Trinity's campus because those fans had seen the residence. Thus a rumor starts.

I think it is naive to think that tuition has not or does not get reduced for some because they are talented athletically.

How is it naive when you make these statements without any proof. People who makes these statements seem to have sour grapes.

And there's the crux of the whole debate. I've been following HS sports in KY for well over 30 years and the same "facts" that are presented now were presented 30 years ago. Everyone it seems knows someone who...

Trinity is located at the site of what used to be a Catholic parish, as such there is a priest's residence on the property. At one time Trinity had several priests on the faculty and they lived there and there's currently one priest living there. A few years ago Ryle played Trinity in the playoffs at Trinity. Some of their fans arrived early and walked around Trinity's campus, as all visiting fans are welcome to do. The following Monday a thread was started on this board asking how many students lived on Trinity's campus because those fans had seen the residence. Thus a rumor starts.

Well to be fair, that priest was one helluva RB.

U

What facts does he have that back up any of his concerns?

Namely:

What school has scholarship athletes playing?

What school has players from outside its geographic area?

UHA is the school they have the problem with.

I could name some but won't. It isn't $6K per to sweep the steps, but there are plenty of schools that you can actually see kids working off their tuition with your own eyes. Some have kids taking tickets up at the doors or doing similar type things working middle school games, others have arrangements with churches for them to work there. Know that these opportunities probably wouldn't be given to some of them if they weren't athletically talented. I'm not hating on it or anything and think it's good for the kids, but yes, "work study" might as well be a scholarship.

I think it's naive to think that it doesn't get a little seedy at times if you looked at the "per hour" rate. That isn't commentary on any school in particular, just being realistic about it.

I could name some but won't. It isn't $6K per to sweep the steps, but there are plenty of schools that you can actually see kids working off their tuition with your own eyes. Some have kids taking tickets up at the doors or doing similar type things working middle school games, others have arrangements with churches for them to work there. Know that these opportunities probably wouldn't be given to some of them if they weren't athletically talented. I'm not hating on it or anything and think it's good for the kids, but yes, "work study" might as well be a scholarship.

I think it's naive to think that it doesn't get a little seedy at times if you looked at the "per hour" rate. That isn't commentary on any school in particular, just being realistic about it.

I believe that there are more non-athlete students working off their tuition than athletes simply because those involved in athletics do not often have the time available after school to work. I would also guess than many are not earning minimum wage and I'm not suggesting that they are eligible to be paid minimum wage.

I don't 100% disagree with him. Schools like NewCath really have no business playing in the All A.

Why? They are not a large size school ( they are one of the smaller AA schools is 6 class football) and they sit 2 miles from one of the top academic public schools in the state of KY (and US) and that school also has a pretty good sports reputation (Highlands). If anything they would be the type of school the All-A was created for.

I believe that there are more non-athlete students working off their tuition than athletes simply because those involved in athletics do not often have the time available after school to work. I would also guess than many are not earning minimum wage and I'm not suggesting that they are eligible to be paid minimum wage.

And those aren't the ones I'm talking about either.